Why Buicks are Dying

Dude! I hear ya on the daycare payments. I got 2 little ones in daycare right now and the monthly bill is higher than my house payment. My funds are extremely limited so I don't really have a modification budget to speak of...rather a budget that allows me to keep a car on the road as best possible.

I am new to these cars, but have always admired them. My first car was a G body and I'm glad to be back in one. I feel like I'm 16 again everytime I'm out in it. I will say the cost of the TRs is a huge discrepancy compared to any other G Body out there.
Good god, how about three daughters, day care 12 years, 4 years of college + 2 years more for a masters for one of them, the third will enter USC this fall, and yes I’m to old to have one this young however it’s my second life. And two weddings so far. That in it self is a GNX. But so it goes you do what one can. Lol

This fool's 2 cents.

Over the past decades, we have lost 80% of our cars. The ones we have left are the best of the best.
Over the past decades, we have lost 80% of our people. The ones we have left are the best of the best.

This year's TB.com Nats were living proof of the quality of people we call our Turbo Buick family. :)

We may not have the numbers of the Mustang, Chevy, LS or import guys. Heck! I don't even think they like us.
We may not have their love. However! When they have the unfortunate luck of lining up next to us at a light, we do have their respect. Or will soon earn it. o_O

I don't know about you guys, but I'm cool with that...

After every event this stuff appears on the forms.:rolleyes: Buicks are not dying. We have less cars, hell I have crushed 5 rotten ones myself. Sometimes life and the almighty dollar get in the way, I have one daughter getting married and one in University if it wasn't for that I could have bought a new Buick, went to the event and had $$$ left over. For me it is not about the quantity but the quality. Spool fool said it best. If you want an event with tons of cars, motels full then go the BG LS fest, but then your like every other Camareo guy.......thanks but not for me. I will just continue to enjoy these cars and the other people that are committed to them. This event is on my list but a 15 hour tow is a holiday week for us so it will have to wait. Keep up the good work and see all my friend in BG:)

I purchased my GN just for the fact that it wasn’t like all the other guys. I like having something different.

I’ve also made some amazing friends in this tight community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I concur with SpoolFool. There's lots of shows that seem to have the same cars over and over. Lots of brand new, off the showroom floor stuff... Why the heck do I want to see that at a car show? So I can see how much of you needed to spend to be one of the "cool kids"? I don't think you can "buy" the legendary status that the TR has earned over the years. (even though I bought mine and contributed nothing to the legendary status:geek:)

Bah! I remember the beat-down that brought me to the darkside like it was yesterday. The unique nature of the flying brick is what did it for me. Even after losing my first one to theft, the bug never left. Sure I like other cars, but this is the "one". Sad part is I rarely drive mine anymore. Damned things attract SO much attention that I can't just trundle around anonymously like my other cars. It's like being a celebrity- Can't go anywhere without all the commotion.

Luckily, folks like Spoolfool and MeanChicken are out there keepin' the fire lit. Since they're so notorious in their murderous rampages across SoCal, it keeps everyone guessing. While my TR's are not nearly as ferocious as theirs, the locals never know and keep their distance. :cool:

Boost on, Brothers!

There is about 10 turbo Buick’s within a 20 mile radius of my house, and none of them came down for the event. I really don’t understand it either. I had a great time, and I hope the event lives on. I’ll be there.

There are alot of cars in and around PA and OH however that group, for whatever reason, generally does not come down to support it... Yes there are a few but not a majority.. Never understood why and its been that way since day 1.

I got a pretty fast fucking Mustang and I will admit anytime I see a TR on the street (Which aint too often) and I know it aint stock I get a little nervous lol and I've had plenty TR's so I know how fast they can be.

I sold my GN last year to basically finance my Turbo Mustang which I love dearly to be honest but I can honestly say I only took the GN out twice that year and the two times I did I got more attention those two days with it then I've probably had the entire time I've owned my mustang lol

The first time was going to Outback to get take-out. While sitting there waiting I had 3 different ppl walk up to my car and inquire about it and get a closer look and at least 2 others gave me the thumbs up while passing by. This was all in about 15 minutes! lol

The following time I take it out to Walmart to get a movie and go home. Well, when I pulled in the parking lot I pulled into a parking space and I see a kid pushing carts take a look at my car then suddenly leave the carts behind and run inside. I thought that was kinda strange so I lock my car and start walking in and this kid comes running out of the store and comes up to me and says "Can I take a few pics of ur car its awesome!" I laughed and said do u even know what this is? Kid was like 18! He smiled and said hell yea its a GN and he said GN not Grand National lol I was like have at it kid thanx for the compliments lol

That just AINT happening with my 2013 Mustang GT lol. It is quite wicked tho.....:devil::cool:

fullsizeoutput_14ec.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_14ed.jpeg

Few years ago wife and I drove to an event. Didn't know it was mustang night. The Buick was an oddly popular draw. Sadly, all those powerful mustangs and not one bite after the event :( Maybe the Buick still carries some sway...

Haven't been to an event in years. Last few we attended we were the only TR.

Between my kids sports my house work and family stuff I barely have time to even drive my car these days. The time with my kids I'm just not willing to give up they are growing up too fast and I don't want to miss anything. Miss enough with work alone. I did get to make Kirban's once was a great time. Met some great people. Locally if I can make a cruise night there's always a bunch of turbo regals there its far from dying here in LI, there is a lot of us. Its pretty great guys do so much to keep it going looked like a great event. Thank you

There are alot of cars in and around PA and OH however that group, for whatever reason, generally does not come down to support it... Yes there are a few but not a majority.. Never understood why and its been that way since day 1.
does not play well with others!:p

I got a pretty fast fucking Mustang and I will admit anytime I see a TR on the street (Which aint too often) and I know it aint stock I get a little nervous lol and I've had plenty TR's so I know how fast they can be.

I sold my GN last year to basically finance my Turbo Mustang which I love dearly to be honest but I can honestly say I only took the GN out twice that year and the two times I did I got more attention those two days with it then I've probably had the entire time I've owned my mustang lol

The first time was going to Outback to get take-out. While sitting there waiting I had 3 different ppl walk up to my car and inquire about it and get a closer look and at least 2 others gave me the thumbs up while passing by. This was all in about 15 minutes! lol

The following time I take it out to Walmart to get a movie and go home. Well, when I pulled in the parking lot I pulled into a parking space and I see a kid pushing carts take a look at my car then suddenly leave the carts behind and run inside. I thought that was kinda strange so I lock my car and start walking in and this kid comes running out of the store and comes up to me and says "Can I take a few pics of ur car its awesome!" I laughed and said do u even know what this is? Kid was like 18! He smiled and said hell yea its a GN and he said GN not Grand National lol I was like have at it kid thanx for the compliments lol

That just AINT happening with my 2013 Mustang GT lol. It is quite wicked tho.....:devil::cool:

I'm in a similar boat here. My TR went out a couple times a year and other than that it was a garage queen with a lot of projects that needed to be done. Taking it out I would get thumbs up and people looking at it. I lost the drive to work on it so after nearly 2 decades of working on this car and almost 8 years of being the owner of it I let it go. I also have a 2013 Mustang GT but thanks to smog crap here in CA i'm going the Roush TVS route. Starting off with the "575HP" Phase 1 then i'll go custom tune, CIA, 79MM or 82MM pulley and more fuel. Hopefully with traction it will be able to run Mid-High 10's. Most people don't give a 2nd look to the Mustangs. I don't have a doubt that I will get another Buick sometime in the future, but right now one hot rod is all I have time for (plus it is my daily driver).

Sad part is I rarely drive mine anymore. Damned things attract SO much attention that I can't just trundle around anonymously like my other cars. It's like being a celebrity- Can't go anywhere without all the commotion.

Boost on, Brothers!

So true, it really takes the fun out of driving the GN. Way too much attention, everywhere.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I will always love GN's but at this point I really like the ability to make race gas power on straight pump 93 and the tranny will never fail as I had my buddy Otto build it with better clutches/input shaft. Its a sleeved Pro Mod block so I will likely never come anywhere near its HP limits so once I put the 35 spline/Strange Strac I will feel comfortable that it will last forever on pump gas.

I had a TVS on my 2012 and it was awesome loved it! I have a Rousch CAI kit for the 2.3 sitting in my house. If u need it LMK u can have it jus pay for shipping. It came off my 2012 so will fit fine on ur 13. U have access to E85 right? Thats a HUGE advantage.

My stock motor threw a rod at about 700 whp which seems to be about the hp limit although plenty have made way more but on average 700 seems to be the breaking point for most.

For some reason I get a lot of ppl wanting to test me on the road. Maybe its just the Mustang thing IDN but my car looks pretty stock for the most part. ppl who know what their looking at give me the thumbs up but thats pretty rare to be honest but I kinda like it that way cause its kinda a sleeper. The rims and tires fit so perfect on that car its hard to tell at night anything is even going on lol.

I'm in a similar boat here. My TR went out a couple times a year and other than that it was a garage queen with a lot of projects that needed to be done. Taking it out I would get thumbs up and people looking at it. I lost the drive to work on it so after nearly 2 decades of working on this car and almost 8 years of being the owner of it I let it go. I also have a 2013 Mustang GT but thanks to smog crap here in CA i'm going the Roush TVS route. Starting off with the "575HP" Phase 1 then i'll go custom tune, CIA, 79MM or 82MM pulley and more fuel. Hopefully with traction it will be able to run Mid-High 10's. Most people don't give a 2nd look to the Mustangs. I don't have a doubt that I will get another Buick sometime in the future, but right now one hot rod is all I have time for (plus it is my daily driver).

I remember talking to Richard L of the GSCA several years ago when i helped with the Super 16 Reunion. He said he is surprised that people are still coming out in the numbers they do to BG ( car count still north of 300-350). He basically said the golden years of the late 1980s to early 2000s he figured would be the end. The 2006 25 th anniversary was huge for those who attended. Last few years have been pretty strong car counts as well. I wish i had gone to NC this year but was just too much work on my plate and could not leave it unattended. I think like everything else there is a cycle of life. It sucks going to these events and seeing some people who are battling medical issues. Every year to BG its almost like a medical visit where you see people and listen to their medical battles. And then always a few who passed away. Its a wake up call that life is short when you go around the pits and remember such and such was always parked at a certain spot and has now passed away. Very humbling for sure.

I think the events are still doing quite well. You have NC, Cecil and BG and Bates for the west coast guys. Plus i know Washington has the Turbo Thunder ordeal. Support the events and the parts suppliers. The cars are now 31 years old at their newest point aka 1987. Many have been stolen, cut up into race cars, rusted away, parted out or crushed. A lot of nice examples still exist and seeing new owners pop up with cars i have never seen (been attending BG since 1988 at age 6) on social media and i think that is great.

The #1 point i see is many of the originals are passing away. Many of their cars will be sold off by children and grand children who dont have a clue about the cars or just want a new toy/suv to haul kids around etc. Same with guys who started in the 1960s with Gran Sports. Quite a few already have been sold for less then what they should have so children/grand children could use the money for something they want.

Also a major point is I think a lot of people are realizing that clean Turbo Buicks are bringing up the coin. Years back you could always find a nice GN for in the low teens. Now low mileage examples are bringing between 35-45k and some private sales i know of even more. G bodies are appreciating at a super fast rate. The kids back of the 80s like myself from that same age group, have become affluent and want the trip back to nostalgia. And i think a lot of turbo buick owners who for years bought and sold them at will are in shell shock for what they are bringing for sale as entire cars and parts. You tend to see backlash over people telling someone online that they wont get that car sold for that price as its over priced. To me , you dont see Hemi owners complaining about prices of their cars going up. 50 s and 60s muscle cars have been priced so much out of the reach of a great many people's bank accounts that 70s iron with sedans and coupes and wagons are red hot. Same with 80s iron. I have noticed in the last 2 years i have driven my car to shows that more people are remembering how bad ass our cars are that is for sure.

The tight knit group and many friends i have had for many years like Brian Lorenz and Tim Perkins and Clint and John C and others is what makes this group an obsession of mine! Cult following for sure is a major draw to me!

I will always love GN's but at this point I really like the ability to make race gas power on straight pump 93 and the tranny will never fail as I had my buddy Otto build it with better clutches/input shaft. Its a sleeved Pro Mod block so I will likely never come anywhere near its HP limits so once I put the 35 spline/Strange Strac I will feel comfortable that it will last forever on pump gas.

I had a TVS on my 2012 and it was awesome loved it! I have a Rousch CAI kit for the 2.3 sitting in my house. If u need it LMK u can have it jus pay for shipping. It came off my 2012 so will fit fine on ur 13. U have access to E85 right? Thats a HUGE advantage.

My stock motor threw a rod at about 700 whp which seems to be about the hp limit although plenty have made way more but on average 700 seems to be the breaking point for most.

For some reason I get a lot of ppl wanting to test me on the road. Maybe its just the Mustang thing IDN but my car looks pretty stock for the most part. ppl who know what their looking at give me the thumbs up but thats pretty rare to be honest but I kinda like it that way cause its kinda a sleeper. The rims and tires fit so perfect on that car its hard to tell at night anything is even going on lol.

I was going to go E85 on the TR but that was just another project I kept putting off. There are enough E85 stations around here now it makes sense to go E85 (3-4 stations within 5 miles). I'd be happy at 600 to the wheels in the Mustang which on E85 is not asking much.

I think part of the reason I lost motivation on the Buick is I was scared to break it and scared of it being stolen. I had 2 TR's stolen before and it is not something I would like to experience again. The motor and trans were built by some of the best out here on the west coast, but when it breaks the cost goes high fast if you want to fix it right. The Mustang is relatively cheap in comparison; the 6R80 is a pretty stout transmission, you can get a new crate motor (intake to pan) for 7K or built long blocks for not too much more.

One thing the Mustang doesn't seem to have is the community like the TR's. There are not a lot of TR's compared to the Mustangs but in general I think the people are more welcoming and helpful. I remember back in the early 2000's we drove from SoCal to BG for the Nats and on the last day the "budget" roller cam started breaking valve springs. I don't think we could have fit more people under the hood working on the car getting it fixed. There was even offers to tow it part way back to help out. Their are a lot of great TR family out there.

I've been looking for a forum as good as this for the Ford but it seems they are all spread out or on FB, so far SVTPerformance seems to be my favorite to lurk on.

Yea I would agree with that. There are far more Mustang owners and forum members but its not the same. I am a member at SVT its the only Mustang forum I contribute to. Plenty of good blower info over there as that is what 99% have. Turbos are rare there so not much info on Turbo stuff but a little.

Mine was originally a Brembo car so I have the better brakes and wow it makes such a difference being able to brake and steer properly two things my TR never gave me.

I was going to go E85 on the TR but that was just another project I kept putting off. There are enough E85 stations around here now it makes sense to go E85 (3-4 stations within 5 miles). I'd be happy at 600 to the wheels in the Mustang which on E85 is not asking much.

I think part of the reason I lost motivation on the Buick is I was scared to break it and scared of it being stolen. I had 2 TR's stolen before and it is not something I would like to experience again. The motor and trans were built by some of the best out here on the west coast, but when it breaks the cost goes high fast if you want to fix it right. The Mustang is relatively cheap in comparison; the 6R80 is a pretty stout transmission, you can get a new crate motor (intake to pan) for 7K or built long blocks for not too much more.

One thing the Mustang doesn't seem to have is the community like the TR's. There are not a lot of TR's compared to the Mustangs but in general I think the people are more welcoming and helpful. I remember back in the early 2000's we drove from SoCal to BG for the Nats and on the last day the "budget" roller cam started breaking valve springs. I don't think we could have fit more people under the hood working on the car getting it fixed. There was even offers to tow it part way back to help out. Their are a lot of great TR family out there.

I've been looking for a forum as good as this for the Ford but it seems they are all spread out or on FB, so far SVTPerformance seems to be my favorite to lurk on.

At some point we all get tired of constantly battling the small bullshit on these cars. I know I have. Got tired of driving it and I finally got to the time in my life where I could afford some 60s iron. Now I got all these damn cars with no space and less time to work on them. Yet again, my car needs to be torn apart to fix a long list of problems, on top of drivability issues that have kept me from driving it also. The only time I drive it is if I feel like I need to do some burnouts. If I want to enjoy the drive I take the impala. If it's too damn hot I take the driver because the ac sucks ass in the buick because of the crap aftermarket weatherstripping around the doors and windows. Not everyone could afford $800 bucks just for door rubber 10 years ago. ANother reason I got away from it for a while. Price gouging of certain stuff and the cars themselves. Not to mention all the "saviors" flipping parts and cars.

Considering the very limited production run of these cars, it's understandable that the "community" is shrinking.

I promote the big shows around SE MI, besides the free food get together hosted by a great local guy and Woodward Wednesday, most don't seem to bring out the cars.

People work hard at putting on BUICK events only to have a few people show up. There are plenty of people talking on the net guess there just talkers. Thanks Shane , Clint and Richard.

I have tied to but you would not like my response.