Why can these motors handle boost so well?

radtech

I'm curious as to why the TR engine can handle boost and power mods so well. Is the crank forged or cast steel. My previous car (03 Cobra) was supercharged. I don't think anyone really puts more than 12-15 lbs of boost into a Cobra motor without doing some damage. I don't recall hearing of head gasket issues w/ those cars though. Those 4V motors are hand built w/ forged internals and aluminum heads. Maybe supercharging is more stressing than turbocharging?

Boost is only one part of the equation. If you have a restrictive enough intake you could run allot more boost and make less power because less of the air would make it to the cylinders. That's the reason if you put together a ported head, bigger cam, better flowing intake and exhaust combo you'll bake more power on less boost.

Either that or God loves Buicks.

It's probably the latter of the two.:D

Not sure about the dynamics but I think the detonation control on any boosted set-up is the key. I have seen an 04' cobra with a stock long block and a twinscrew @ 22lbs through the stock exhaust manifolds and made 697hp and 672ft-lbs. This is a street car that is a blast to mess with street bikes with. The hard part was getting a clutch and tranny to hold up. The IRS is easy loose it for a 9". Good day Jon Hanson
Either that or God loves Buicks.

It's probably the latter of the two.
Amen

Buick tended to over build thier motors, so with a few simple changes, the 231 V6 was easily made durable enough for boosted use. but the heads are actually rather crappy from a flow standpoint, so more air pressure gets "backed up" into the intake manifold under boost, which leads to higher boost ratings. put better flowing heads on, and you can make more power with less boost, since the same amount of pressure will make it into the cylinder.

God??

I would thinK that a V6 has less rotating mass than a V8 thererfore less tendancy to fly apart. Maybe it's devine intervention, but the cars go like "hell" so maybe some else drives a buick. :eek:

Buick did a great job with trickling down the technology from the early Nascar Stage motors, not all the tricking made it's way but they did a way better job than Chevy did years later with the Syclone/Typhoon motors.

But imports take a pounding like our stage blocks can, some insane power comes from them stock.

I think the sub-8 to 1 compression might play a factor in this equation as well... :biggrin: Plus those superchargers the Cobras use are really really good at making heat, there's a reason the Eaton is also known as the HEaton :tongue: .

Ford should have done it the right way and thrown a Vortech or a Procharger with an intercooler on those and they would have been really really dirty...