Why did so many people like the G-Body Monte Carlos?

i love the monte ss, i have had an 84 an 87 and a 87 aerocoupe that everybody hated. i would like to have a choo choo ss el camino also!
i do think it would have been nice with a tuned ported 350 from an iroc though.
i also have had a grand prix and a 87 olds 442 i just like the g body cars period!

I've often thought about buying a low mile mint Monte SS Aerocoupe and using it as a daily driver, the only thing that stops me is our damned winters.

montes are sick. TRs are sicker. how can you like one and not the other? yeah, the monte's were turds compaired to the TRs, but then again, they probably had way less recalls (i assume) and way less blown up motors. they were more durable than the TBs and less fragile. the TBs made so much power that they often blew up the transmissions, and still do unless you spend $3k on a good trans that only a handfull of people in the US can build right. and people constantly overboosted them so they blew up the motors. so few TRs have their original engine because the dealer swapped it out for another one under warranty. the montes sold a heck of a lot more and were probably more dependable, but slower! plus, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work on a Monte.... where as the TB baffles most guys who think they're good mechanics. i still like the tr better but i can't really knock the monte.

Sorry, montes are just plain Ugly..Even the new ones out these days are even uglier..:mad:

For the record, saying anything you can do to 3.8 you can do to a 5.0.... lol with an ass ton of money maybe. Sorry monte guys but 305s are doooooggsss. Even the TPI 350s (which i like) take way too much money to make reasonable power. A heads/cam/intake monte with a matching carb on a 305 is maybe good for 360 flywheel hp. So all that money and its still running high 12s at best. Yes you can go more radical
(and lose any semblance of streetability) but not until you do a big inch stroker like a 383 or 406 are you gonna get anywhere. Its funny that the only test that have a GN even close performance wise are when they were compared to 84-85 cars.

Anyways Montes are good looking cars that are begging for a LSx transplant of some kind. BTW the Monte 200-4rs are just as good as the buicks. The hard parts were the same and the valve body was very similar.

I'll tell you what, that nose makes one heck of a difference. I had my Monte at ~115-130 mph (modded) and it felt stable. My 86 T-type at 110 mph scared the bejeezus out of me, talk about a floating front end, lol.

I'm in agreement with most everybody here on the 80s Monte. HOWEVER, I would put this in my garage any day of the week and twice on sunday...

Attachments

• MonteCarlo.jpg
    MonteCarlo.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 871
You clearly can’t see clearly
And need to get glasses Alice
The Monte is by far the best looking G-Body.

Lol... it would be a great car for demolition derby but only if I could set it on fire after I smashed it. The newest models are as ugly as the original. But the 80's were the worst. Hands down the ugliest car ever made.

yeah i am not a big fan of the early 80's mc but i like it better than the late 70's regal.
i would love to find a nice 83 or 84 bench seat ss for a daily driver, i had a blue 84 ss yeah not a race car but a fun driver.
GNBRETT DONT BE HATEN ;)

The only Montes I really liked were built in 77 or before. Heck, I loved my 76, aircraft-carrier hood and all. Swivel buckets, nice ride......underpowered. Like ALL Montes....until they put a Buick SC3800 in one. ;) Finally a Monte that could MOVE.

Lol... it would be a great car for demolition derby but only if I could set it on fire after I smashed it. The newest models are as ugly as the original. But the 80's were the worst. Hands down the ugliest car ever made.

you're on crack. the new ones are ugly, and the 2 door lumina was too, but the late 70s regal are abominable, as noted above. an 88 monte ss is an awesome looking car.

you're on crack. the new ones are ugly, and the 2 door lumina was too, but the late 70s regal are abominable, as noted above. an 88 monte ss is an awesome looking car.

The Monte looked alright if you stripped all the gay striping off of it. 1st Gen Montes were much cooler.

toddbrest2.JPG
3_card_monte.jpg

Well it looks like a was flying the BS flag at half mast. I get so tired of reading that link about the Mexican MCSS over on MCSS.Com. So I was doing a lot of surfing trying to find some of those magical beasts for sale down south of the border. Hey you want have some fun? Check out Mercado Libre.com(Mexican eBay). Anyway looky at what I found. 1984 Mexican Monte Carlo SS : Home

And he even posted the Build Sheet! Who ever this Amigo is I owe him a DosEquisXX! I have to stand corrected. The Mexican MCSS was truly indeed built in Mexico right along side the ElCamino. If you do a long search of G-Bodies on Autotrader.com and eBay you wont find any others. All Mexico built GM cars have VINs that start with the number three in case you want to prove me wrong. Now the car in question aint anything special. Put on your Spanglish eye glasses and you'll see it has the LM1 carbed 350 and M67 Saginaw 4 gear but it surely aint 265 burros kicking out of it. I did a lot of research and this Mexican version of the LM1 only pumps out 180. Even during it's hayday the LM1 maximum output was 245HP so that is why I'm calling BS. Read closer and you'll see this car has a lot of bolt ons which is how they guessed at the 265HP figure. And if my resources are correct this car has a 2.73 rear and a 2.85 low gear in the tranny. They use some type of weird code system on that Spanish build sheet so I couldn't figure out that part of the car anyway.

Attachments

• Mexico MCSS Build Sheet.jpg
    Mexico MCSS Build Sheet.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 613
yeah there was alot of oddball stuff in mexico, even some of there newer vehicles that are fuel injection only here are still carberated down there. wierd!

Ahhh, 72 Cutlass in your sig. You're and old school fella too!! These younguns don't know about that stuff. ;)

I had a 73 Cutlass once upon a time, and a 72, AND of course a 69 Lark a 70 Wildcat, and my 70 GS....boy do I miss that one.

I personally like the Cutlass design better than any other gbodys...of course the Regal comes in at a close second.

I loved my old Cutty. I swapped the weak 307 out for a sbc and installed a nicely built 200 4r in it too. I miss it a lot. I ended up selling it last year to buy the cylinder heads for my T:rolleyes:
100_0765Large.jpg

oldsside.jpg

oldsfront.jpg

Gotta love the simplicity of the oldies.

I think my GS had 2 vacuum lines on it. LOL! One for the distrib. and on for the ac control.

Man, turn that engine around and put the distributor where it belongs, IN FRONT!!!!!!!!!!