Why do our windows start to get loose?

jdpolzin

Hello, just another question for you guys. I would like to get your opinions on our doors. Why do the windows start to get loose in the door? Is this because the cross pieces start to wear on the knouckle that they rotate on? I put the drivers door from my parts car on and followed the book "How to get rid of wind noise and rattles" and the door is perfect. I can shut it with the window half way down and it doesn't rattle at all. Shuts like new. Ok so here is where it get a little trickier. I had the original passenger door from my car painted and the window isnt very stable. It has in and out play. I followed the book and cant get it to stop. So I pulled the window motor and cross pieces from the pass door on the parts car and before I drill out the rivets on the original door, I want to know if this is going to help? THanks guys! -------Jeremy

There is a plastic or nylon guide that is riveted to the window and these sometimes break due to age or perhaps someone trying to break in the car by pulling outward at the top of the glass with the door shut. This is probably only why they rattle when they are up. I'm guessing if they rattle while they are down or somewhere between full up and full down is because of that knuckle you refer to and the rollers in the tracks get loose. New dew sweeps may also keep them a little more stable.

I think that the biggest thing that loosens our windows are all the people who think that they are door handles. NEVER open or close that big, heavy door with that little, flimsy window :). Don't touch the window unless you are cleaning it, and if you ever see fingerprints on it, start yelling at all your friends (or yourself, as appropriate :)).

<<think that they are door handles>>

Nooo Kidding. It drives me crazy. Good thread, now time to fix !

Replacing the "dew seals" , these are the rubber seals that are on the outside of the car on top of the door. Made a big difference in my car...

Chuck

Yeah I have completely re-done both of my doors with new dew seals, weatherstripping, re-lubed everythng, rust proofed the insides. I just completed the drivers door and have it pretty much perfect. No rattles with the window half way down at all! I replaced the sound dampener and moisture paper as well!! I just noticed that the window seemed to wobble in and out a little more than the drivers side did so I actually changed the tracks and motor. I will keep you informed on whether this made a difference or not. I just cant stand a noisy door. Probably my biggest pet peeve!!!

I think that the biggest thing that loosens our windows are all the people who think that they are door handles. NEVER open or close that big, heavy door with that little, flimsy window :). Don't touch the window unless you are cleaning it, and if you ever see fingerprints on it, start yelling at all your friends (or yourself, as appropriate :)).

Amen! Ask my girlfriend how many times shes been yelled at lol

Uh. Because they are also 20 year old parts? Sounds like the window stops need to be adjusted properly and the glass stabilizers are worn out.

I don't know if it's just that the cars are 20 years old, my Dad's '53 Chevy hardtop doesn't have glass as loose as in my GN or elky and nothing inside the door has been touched. It seems the G-body had a poor design &/or people using them as door handles:rolleyes:

Well, I replaced the dew seeps and the cross bars and the glass is actually very sturdy now!!! The cross members came out of my parts car that has been sitting since 1990 so there hasnt been a lot of use on them. I think it did the trick!!! Hopefully this helps others! If you need any door parts, I have a ton of odds and ins laying around now!!! Take care! Thanks for your help! ------Jeremy

hey, could you throw me a picture of those 'cross members'? or maybe a schematic, and point to the part in particular?