Why is it an act of congress to get collector plates?????

Braciole

Im Trying to get my 87 Grand National reg as a collector car.
Why does it take an act of Congress?????????????:mad::mad::(

That's because you live in that Draconian state called NJ. What is the process?

you arent getting plates ..just a triangle window sticker that exempt you from inspection
there are no collector plates in NJ only classic QQ and your car isnt old enough for QQ (must be over 25yrs)

the process is fillout a form get it from dmv or online at NJMVC.gov http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/collector_vehicles.htm
send it to trenton classic reg division with the note that its a grand national and pics from corners , they know what a GN is and have no problems oking the car , they send you back the approval letter

take that to dmv (now called MVC) with your DL and collector ins card and register the car as collector exempt pay the normal reg fee + $25 more for the voucher to get the collector exempt inspection sticker

go to a state run inspection facility .. present collector voucher , DL and ins card they record the odom reading
taking a ride and clock 1mile over what you drove inon to show them the odometer works and thats its , you get a sticker for two years

Maybe because you sent the forms to the wrong place, kinda like you posted this in the wrong section...:biggrin:;) Good luck. Illinois is 26 years or older. They word it "must be older than 25 years". When most see the "25" they apply, then have to wait a year. :mad:

you arent getting plates ..just a triangle window sticker that exempt you from inspection
there are no collector plates in NJ only classic QQ and your car isnt old enough for QQ (must be over 25yrs)

the process is fillout a form (get it from dmv or online )
send it to trenton classic reg division with the note that its a grand national and pics from corners , they know what a GN is and have no problems oking the car , they send you back the approval letter

take that to dmv (now called MVC) with your DL and collector ins card and register the car as collector exempt pay the normal reg fee + $25 more for the voucher to get the collector exempt inspection sticker

go to a state run inspection facility .. present collector voucher , DL and ins card they record the odom reading
taking a ride and clock 1mile over what you drove inon to show them the odometer works and thats its , you get a sticker for two years
Is there a maximum mileage you are allowed each year?

the process is fillout a form get it from dmv or online at NJMVC.gov State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Thanks Pauly, Its funny I went to the MVC (Turnersville)today after work they told me they never heard of Collector cars only QQ lol. They gave me an 800# to call. It was the wrong #. The Lady that answered the phone gave me the right #. Some MVC centers have the apps most dont, I was told to DL
off Internet:mad::confused: But you Insurance First which is a bigger headache!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Takes about 2 weeks ridiculous:rolleyes:

ive been told conflicting things with the road inspections with NJ collector and what you could be ticketed so i did some looking

the sticker is for safety and emission exempt status under 13.20-7.2

you are exempt unless the vehicle is considered by an inspector to be a clear hazard to health of yourself and others at which time you need to fix the vehicle

i looked through the whole statute list and the only real exception to the exemption is if it falls under statute 13.20-7.6: immediate repairs and i found nothing about emmision compliance or equipment although the collector infers differently, you could still find yourself with a ticket for no cat and have to find a lawyer (you should the fine is $$$) to dig up the statutes to argue to a judge you are exempt ..or not since i couldnt find it but then again i am not on the NJ Bar with the access to what stautes there may be

i dont think any one would disagree that their list would be a hazard but the extent they allow is far worse than most would drive with even without having to go through inspection

[13:20-7.2] 13:20-7.6 Immediate repairs
(a) When the nature of the [defects] defect(s) found at a motor vehicle inspection is such
as [in the judgment of the inspecting authority] to constitute a hazard to the public safety so as to
require immediate repairs to such motor vehicle, such repairs shall be made and the motor vehicle
presented for reinspection within 48 hours.
(b) A defect which constitutes a hazard to the public safety so as to require immediate
repairs to a motor vehicle shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
1. A motor vehicle with a rupture in the brake system;
2. A motor vehicle with a service brake pedal that does not stop the motor
vehicle when fully depressed;
3. A motor vehicle on which all headlights are inoperative;
4. A motor vehicle on which all taillights are inoperative;
5. A motor vehicle on which all stoplights are inoperative;
6. A motor vehicle which has excessive looseness in its steering linkage wherein
the steering wheel must make a complete revolution before there is a perceptible movement
of the wheels;
7. A motor vehicle with a broken ball joint(s), tie rod(s), or pitman arm;
8. A motor vehicle with a broken suspension component wherein such condition
interferes with the operation of the motor vehicle;
9. A motor vehicle with an exhaust leak and holes in the passenger compartment
which permit exhaust gases to enter the passenger compartment;
10. A motor vehicle with any part of the exhaust system passing through the
passenger compartment;
11. A motor vehicle with a fuel leak in any part of the fuel system;
12. A motor vehicle with a component of the fuel system which is in contact with
a moving part of the motor vehicle;
13. A motor vehicle with a tire(s) wherein the ply or cord is exposed and
delaminating;
14. A motor vehicle with a windshield which is so severely broken or shattered
as to substantially impair the driver's vision; or
15. A motor vehicle with window glazing which is damaged so that sharp edges
of glass are exposed.

Maybe because you sent the forms to the wrong place, kinda like you posted this in the wrong section...:biggrin:;) Good luck. Illinois is 26 years or older. They word it "must be older than 25 years". When most see the "25" they apply, then have to wait a year. :mad:

What section does it belong in?:p

mike why is insurance first a big headache
..insurance should always be first as the dmv wont touch you without proof of ins
no ins company ever gave me a hard time getting a binder ,all i needed was the vin #.

i would have insurance on a car even if i didn't have the title or the car in my possession , like when you buy it in anther state and plan to have it shipped-- get it insured the day you have the vin # !!

the ins comp usually allows you time to bring the reg and title info in

Is there a maximum mileage you are allowed each year?

3000 a year ...thats 6000 between biannual inspections when they will read the mileage ,

of course for him in two years the car will no longer qualify because it will be over 25 yrs old and he will have to surrender the exempt status and either apply for QQ tags (no more inspections and a one time lifetime registration fee ) or go back to standard reg and standard inspection ,.
he could drive the heck out of it if he wanted since when the do check the mileage even if hes over the 6k limit hes out anyway

those who applied before sept 2007 are grandfathered and as long as you own the vehicle , maintain the registration on it and dont exceed the mileage limitation you can continue to register under the collector exempt sticker

mike why is insurance first a big headache
..insurance should always be first as the dmv wont touch you without proof of ins
no ins company ever gave me a hard time getting a binder ,all i needed was the vin #.

i would have insurance on a car even if i didn't have the title or the car in my possession , like when you buy it in anther state and plan to have it shipped-- get it insured the day you have the vin # !!

the ins comp usually allows you time to bring the reg and title info in

I agree, Thats my Intension, Grundy wants Pics of each side of the car you cant email them (stupid) Copy of title ect.... I will just leave it in the garage until its finalized.
Thanks Pauly:biggrin:

I agree, Thats my Intension, Grundy wants Pics of each side of the car you cant email them (stupid) Copy of title ect.... I will just leave it in the garage until its finalized.
Thanks Pauly:biggrin:
Call Hagerty. I sent them a link to my photobucket page and all was fine. :D

This a perfect example Hagerty doesnt do 87s lmao! It has to be 86 or older
according to there website:mad:

That is kinda f---ed up. I do like the idea of when you can get collector tags there is a one time registration fee.

you just live in the wrong state. you need to come to MN, the land of 10,000 lakes and easy car registration. to get collector plates, the car just needs to be 20 years old and you have to have another car registered in your name. that's it- those are the only qualifications to get collector plates on a car or light truck.
it took me a total of 10 minutes- and just under $80- at the deputy registrar's office to get collector plates for 2 cars. i filled out the forms for collector plates on the same day for both of my old cars- the 84 T type and my 74 Monte Carlo- and the plates arrived in the mail a few weeks later. i don't ever have to register those cars again, and there are no mileage or really any kind of restriction on the usage of the cars. plus, i only have to display a plate on the rear of the car, so i was able to ditch the fugly front plate bracket on those cars. in fact, if your car is a 71 model year or older, they only give you one plate for the car.
i keep printouts of the applicable statutes in the glovebox of each car in case some rookie cop wants to try to give me grief for driving a "collector" car 50 miles from home at 3am on a weeknight. but it's never been a problem.

i don't ever have to register those cars again, and there are no mileage or really any kind of restriction on the usage of the cars. plus, i only have to display a plate on the rear of the car, so i was able to ditch the fugly front plate bracket on those cars. in fact, if your car is a 71 model year or older, they only give you one plate for the car.

I was going to ask what the benefits of a "collector car plate" was.

I have a 1991 Syclone that I have put 5k miles on in 3 years

Then the 89' TTA that I have put 200miles on in 9 months.

AND the 67' RS that has gotten 3500 miles in the last 11 years.

Whats the INSURANCE deal with "collector cars/Antique cars"? ---

This thread got me thinking. I was looking forward to classic plates next year when the car was 25. I went to the Colorado license plate website and as of 9/1/2009 they changed the law - a car must now be 35 years old for classic plates. Smarmy Bas ards.

This a perfect example Hagerty doesnt do 87s lmao! It has to be 86 or older
according to there website:mad:

No idea why it would say that on the website...But I have a few 87 Gn;s and even a 89 TTA Insured with Hagerty.If you need a number to the Guy I use,let me know,i will pm it to you.

Just email him the pics,Real easy.

1987 Collector tag

I have an 1987 WE-4 and Hagerty Collector Insurance. If you want, I can give you my agents name and Number and he will get you straight. I have 2 cars
with collector Stickers,my son's 86 T-Type and my 87 We-4. I had no problem getting both stickers. Let me know if you need more info. FPietropol@aol.com Good luck ...........Frank