Wife's 92 Exploder Totalled

scottyb

Spongebob Squarecar
A little old lady pulled out in front of the wife on Friday. Thank God there were no serious injuries. That makes the second car in a row taken that way. We don't have car payments, it had 160k and we had planned on putting another 100k on that Exploder before replacing it. I'm beyond pissed because I know the insco won't give us crap for it, or at least enough for a suitable replacement. It will be very difficult to find an early 90's Exploder in the kind of condition we keep our cars, so we'll be stuck paying extra to get a late 90's. I had just spent several weekends doing simple maintenance and the only significant flaws remaining were a power passenger seat motor and new leather covers. DAMMIT!

It just seems like it doesn't pay to drive an older car and maintain it.:mad: :mad: :mad:

that sux. i really think that some elderly people should not be driving. they should make an age where a driver has to be retested on thier reflexes and other things. it sounds terrible, but someone here must agree with me that at a certain age, some people are hazards on the road. my grandmother was a terrible driver, and her legs got so bad that she used to have to drive with one foot on the brake and one on the gas. finally my mom had to pull the liscense before my grandmother killed someone. i remember her running through leaf piles and stuff:D but now shes just too dangerous. good luck on finding a new beater by the way.

If the insurance agent won't give you much for the Explorer, then by all means, try to negotiate as long of a rental car as possible. You are the victim and shouldn't have to go car-less due to another driver's negligence. The driver owes you a reasonable rental period, probably 2 weeks for sure.

Lots of people right now are trying to sell their cars outright since trade-in values are low due to 0% financing and the glut of trade-ins. There are deals out there. Might post on www.jaxracing.com that you are looking for a car. There might be some local guys who have exactly what you are looking for. Good luck.

i really think that some elderly people should not be driving. they should make an age where a driver has to be retested on thier reflexes and other things. it sounds terrible, but someone here must agree with me that at a certain age, some people are hazards on the road.

My grandmother is 89. She still has her car, and still drives. In fact, this weekend, we drove her back to Minnesota (where she was from) - she rents a car and picks up all her friends and they go out for the weekend together. I throw the kids in the waterpark at the Holiday Inn, do a little shopping at the Owatonna Cabela's - and everybody is happy. On Sunday, Gram returns the rental car and we head home.

My point was - some states do require those tests. She did not have them in Minnesota, but when she moved in with my parents in Illinois, after age 74, you have to take a vision and driving test every year. She still passes so far....

Of course, this is the state where you can BUY a CDL.... :rolleyes:

So, win some, lose some.... ;)

you need a heavier truck...

last saturday i took one of my f250's in for an oil change. a chick ran a red and i hit the back of her focus at about 40mph. my tow hook must have hit sheet metal because this thing was ripped open and totaled. the police came and looked at my truck and the focus and back to my truck. then he asked if i was the one involved in the accident. my truck doesn't even have paint scrapes.

i have a Friend that does what you say, outstanding upkeep. what he does is get the vehicle appraised and then gets gap insurance to cover the spread from the insurance company.