wifes car transmission cost

turbojitsu85

Yeah I thought it was good that I hadn't posted anything for a week or so but now this. Mifes cars trasnmission was droping from fourth into second so I took it into AAMCO and had them look at it they did there test and said that there is an internal problem and I'm looking at $1400 to $1500 to replace the trans. Is this a typical price? I just spent that much on my cars transmission and it wasn't a stock rebuild. Is this guy trying to rip me off or is it just cheaper to repair our transmissions? Oh by the way its a 1990 Doge Spirit with 56,000 miles if that helps in determining price.

V6 car? If it's an overdrive unit (41TE) that's in the normal ballpark. If it's a four cylinder with a three speed (31TH) you are getting the shaft.

If I were you I would get another estimate from a different shop! I remember my aunt took her car to Aamco for preventive maintance on her LTD nothing was wrong with it she just wanted a Trans filter and fluid change. Thay told her she would have leave it. Afew hours later they called and said she needed to come in and talk about her transmission. When she got their they had the trans out of the vehicle an tore apart. They told her she needed a complete rebuild and it would be $1250.00 Having what she thought was no other options she paid it!

If it came out and got tore apart before they talked to her that is a serious mistake by the shop. It's never a good position to be in when a car comes in for a trans service and the pan is full of debris though. If you tell them it's on it's way out, they think you are selling them what they don't need. If you ignore it and it goes out shortly afterward, of course they think you set a booby trap inside it so they have to buy a trans from you. AND, half the time they wait till it acts up before they think about servicing it! Too late buddy!
Everybody thinks they are getting ripped off these days. Talk to your friends and family (it's crazy how everyone always separates the two), and see where they took theirs and how they feel about who did it. If you get some good remarks, go to them. FWIW we live in the middle of nowhere and the 41TE overdrive is $1400-$1500 by the time it gets rebuilt with a new converter, gets out and back in the car, and gets the cooler flushed. In the cities I am told it is usually higher. Sorry for the first paragraph rant.

bob :cool:

My personal belief is not to let Aamco even talk about my car, but I would find a good local builder with a long time positive reputation. The price is actually very good since R and R on those front wheel drive units is a total pain and takes time.

Mark

Avoid AAMCO like the PLAGUE!!!!!

do yourself a HUGE favor and avoid AAMCO like the plague!!!!!! They'll give you the shaft *AND* put you back on the road with a rigged transmission!!! They are crooks!! They hide behind their "warranty" but the fact is, you will be using that "warranty" a LOT! And it'll be a huge hassle.

I made the mistake of taking a car to them several years ago and, long story short, I had to deal with 3 different locations, talk to an attorney and after about 10 months I finally had to cut my losses and never got the trans fixed right.

during one of the MANY visits back to AAMCO I actually witnessed a "technician" leaving out the top two bell-housing bolts in my car and when I asked him what hell he was doing he actually looked at me said, "you don't need those, they're just there for assembly purposes." whatever the F*&% that was supposed to mean!! :mad:

In all fairness, there may be a couple of AAMCO locations out there where they do decent work, but like I said, I dealt with 3 different locations in the Houston area and it was the same crap at each location.

I would take it elsewhere also.
BTW, from your description of what the tranny is doing sounds like it could be just a solenoid. My T-bird was acting very crazy one time and you woulda swore it needed to be rebuilt and come to find out it was just a $35 part!!

It's dropping into failsafe. Many many possible causes. Could be as simple as an input speed sensor or it could need a complete overhaul. Take it to someone who is very sharp on the diagnostic end of things.

I would go somewhere else too. I don't see why you would need a rebuild @ 56k miles. Unless she's doing 4k rpm neutral drops.

I'll agree with the "$35 part" option

I agree with all of the above. Go to a local private shop with a good rep. I worked in a tranny shop for 3 years. It was a small business and the owners did every customer right. National chain for the most part are croocks. :)