Will a bad ESC module make a car run poorly ?

turbotaone

My TTA stumbles and coughs when I nail the thottle
real fast,and I get lots of knock on my scanmaster.
However,the car runs fine if I exelerate normally,
and that is with no knock and 20lbs.of boost. It
will do it if I floor it from a dead stop or if I kick it
down while cruising. A buick mechanic told me that
it could be my ESC module(electronic spark control).
He said that he had worked on another TTA with
the same problem and it turned out to be a bad ESC
module. What do you guys think ?

Thanks James

ESC module...

is that the big flat part that converts knock signal to 5 volt reference to the ecm??

if your seeing knock retard, then NO, its working properly

could be false knock??? do you actually hear the car ping when you romp on it VS. easing into the throttle?

forgot about the cough and stumble.....

does it blow any smoke when it does this? ie rich condition?

No,it does not ping or smoke when it does it.
I'm thinking the bucking and jerking could be
causing the false knock.Could that be happening ?
I have replaced the coil/ign.module,Maf,02 sensor,
plugs/wires,pcv valve,and air filter. It did seem to
help the problem a little when I replaced the MAF
sensor(reman.).The old MAF was hourglass shaped,
and the new one is 3"clear through. It also seems
to get better when I turn the boost down,(from 20
to 16lbs.)I've been running the xylene mix( 80/20)
with the 20lbs. of boost. The 02,s are around 760
to 780 and I'm showing no codes when this occurs.
Any other suggestions ?

Thanks James

ESC Module

That is I believe what we normally refer to as the ignition module.

I think you are correct in calling it an Electronic Spark Control Module. Please jump in guru's if I'm stating this incorrectly.

Anyway, it's under the coil pack mounted directly to it. It gets like mush when it's dieing.

Just seperate it from the coil pack and push your finger a few places into the flat surface where you'll see it's wires protruding. You'll feel what i mean by mush.

This module can definately cause the symptoms you mentioned.

Good luck with solving your problem.

Jeff

I have replaced the coil/ign.module

I didn't see you wrote this before I posted.

If you replaced both the coil "and" the module maybe there is an ESC Module "and" an Ignition Module seperate from each other.

Sorry for the lack of help.

ideas

The ESC module is seperate from the ignition module, which resides under the coilpack. The ESC module is located on the inner passenger side fender. It looks like a flat, black box.

I haven't heard of an ESC module causing a problem like the one you're having. Have you verified proper fuel pressure, volume, etc.? Sometimes a loose or severed wire in the harness connector for the ignition module can cause the kind of driveability issue you describe.

Also, if you can, swap out your coilpack and ignition module with one from a known well running car. I've seen (so-called) brand new components be faulty right out of the box.

You mentioned the problem is not as severe at lower boost levels. Sounds like your fuel or spark may not be keeping up. Check the simple and free things first. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by turbotaone
My TTA stumbles and coughs when I nail the thottle real fast,and I get lots of knock on my scanmaster. However,the car runs fine if I exelerate normally, and that is with no knock and 20lbs.of boost. It will do it if I floor it from a dead stop or if I kick it
down while cruising. A buick mechanic told me that it could be my ESC module(electronic spark control). He said that he had worked on another TTA with the same problem and it turned out to be a bad ESC module. What do you guys think ?
I'd first verify that you have a clean air tract (use some Top Engine Cleaner), clean fuel injectors, suffecient octane fuel for th echip you are running, clean fuel filter, an upgraded fuel pump with the upgraded sock, and a clean air filter, then ensure you are not overboosting, BEFORE I'd start throwing money at parts that you have no idea of how they work. JMO.

turbotaone-

I posted on here a while back on this exact problem which I am having with an '87 GN. I, too, have gone through everything I can think of with no resolve. I am currently switching to a 9.5" conv to see if it "band-aids" the problem. I think it has to do with the ECM. Not that it's necessarily bad, but, some hiccup in the tables that control fuel enrichment on tip in. This is just a hypothesis bourne of frustration. If I come up with anything, I'll let you know. :confused:

-Rocketman442

Re: ideas

Originally posted by V8 KILR
The ESC module is seperate from the ignition module, which resides under the coilpack. The ESC module is located on the inner passenger side fender. It looks like a flat, black box.

I haven't heard of an ESC module causing a problem like the one you're having. Have you verified proper fuel pressure, volume, etc.? Sometimes a loose or severed wire in the harness connector for the ignition module can cause the kind of driveability issue you describe.

Also, if you can, swap out your coilpack and ignition module with one from a known well running car. I've seen (so-called) brand new components be faulty right out of the box.

You mentioned the problem is not as severe at lower boost levels. Sounds like your fuel or spark may not be keeping up. Check the simple and free things first. Hope this helps.

actually i wasnt going to point this out, but.....

im not sure, but since turbotaone HAS a TTA , i dont think it is located on the pass fenderwell like the turbo regal-

i agree with scott ( get that gall bladder taken out?) and since the esc module is working correctly, then i think that you have too much timing and not enough octane-
what chip and what timing do you have setup for the car?

my old TTA 340 would do this with a 108 chip and pump gas and xylene- just a thought , double check that chip and get back with us-
thanks
BW