You can type here any text you want

Will FAST software work with Windows XP?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

S351 R

Will FAST software work with Windows XP? It just doesnt say it is compatible in the instructions. Need to know since wife needs new high performance laptop (and dont want anything that wont work down in the garage too ;-)

Some people have some issues w/ XP and the FAST software. I have not seen any issues if you run it in a Windows 98 Compatibility Layer. Just right click the shortcut and go to the Compatibility tab and chose Windows 98 / ME. Enjoy it. Now....if only i could finish my install... :rolleyes:

I'm running CCom-WP under XP Home and it works great. I could NOT however get the DOS version to link to the ECU. As I understand it, XP wont give DOS the machines resources (LPT, Com ports etc)

Originally posted by TurboJim
I'm running CCom-WP under XP Home and it works great. I could NOT however get the DOS version to link to the ECU. As I understand it, XP wont give DOS the machines resources (LPT, Com ports etc)

You're correct, Jim. Windows NT/2000/XP have what is called a HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer). What this does it keeps software (drivers, programs, etc.) from getting a direct hook on the hardware. While this is a nuisance when trying to run DOS software on one of these OSes, what it does it maintain greater system stability. If a program that is using a piece of hardware (like the video card) crashes on Windows 98, it usually makes the whole system unstable. If the same program crashes on Windows NT/2000/XP, it's not going to make the whole systems unstable as the HAL was in between the program and the hardware to keep it from taking the whole system down.

Everyone seems well aware that the DOS version will not work on Windows XP. My thanks to the resident hippie :D for the explanation of why... I love learning new stuff. All I knew prior to this was that DOS and XP don't coexist.

The Windows software works OK with XP with the exception of one issue. If you move the slider for setting the auto-trigger level in the data logging setup, the slider moves but the value won't change. Already fixed in a new version soon to be released.

Originally posted by Craig Smith
Everyone seems well aware that the DOS version will not work on Windows XP. My thanks to the resident hippie :D for the explanation of why... I love learning new stuff. All I knew prior to this was that DOS and XP don't coexist.

The Windows software works OK with XP with the exception of one issue. If you move the slider for setting the auto-trigger level in the data logging setup, the slider moves but the value won't change. Already fixed in a new version soon to be released.

heheh.....glad I could be of service. :) I've also has to explain, in the same way, why v2.03 of Turbo-Link and Directscan won't work with Windows NT/2000/XP.

The only problem that I've ever encountered with the CComWP software is a problem with the triggering. I'll set the trigger, and then it won't start recording when the TPS value is met. I don't know if that's a problem with XP or with the install of the software.

Back