Wilwood M/C on Hydroboost - Question

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
I recently purchased 1.125" Wilwood MC for my GN (see signature for brake description). Anyone done this install? Do I use the spacer or not? Looking at the MC that I have been running, I see the plunger is flush with the opening and, if I use the spacer, that is what I have with Wilwood so I'm assuming I'm right. Instructions say, "For short push rod power brake boosters, use the spacer supplied to reduce the overall depth of the piston recess."
Conrad

I machined mine down to have a zero preload. I "sneaked up on it", used some white lube on the pin, to check for contact.

Chuck,
Did you install the Wilwood master cylinder on a hydroboost? What diameter Wilwood did you use? 1.125" or ???
Conrad

Chuck,
Did you install the Wilwood master cylinder on a hydroboost? What diameter Wilwood did you use? 1.125" or ???
Conrad

I called Wilwood tech. He gave me the size for use w/ the HB as 1 1/8" bore. He also said to plumb ft to ft, rear to rear.
Here's mine.
I also plumbed in an adjustable Wilwood prop valve, and a Hurst line Loc. [I have a couple sets of old slicks to get rid of.]:smuggrin:

Attachments

• HB on Buick 001.jpg
    HB on Buick 001.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 565
IMG_20140308_134015_857.jpg
Ok. You used a non-TB hydroboost. I'm having trouble with the retainer clip inside the MC dragging on the HB ram. Started bleeding process, pushed pedal to floor 1st time and it stayed there. Finally started to remove the MC from HB and pedal returned to normal position. Completed the removal and saw scratches on HB! Ground the ears on the retainer rings down some and still have problem. Guess I will have to grind more off. Photos attached.
Conrad

Attachments

• IMG_20140308_134308_825.jpg
    IMG_20140308_134308_825.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 175
I called Wilwood tech. He gave me the size for use w/ the HB as 1 1/8" bore. He also said to plumb ft to ft, rear to rear.
Here's mine.
I also plumbed in an adjustable Wilwood prop valve, and a Hurst line Loc. [I have a couple sets of old slicks to get rid of.]:smuggrin:

Great, great looking setup. Good job.

View attachment 217180 Ok. You used a non-TB hydroboost. I'm having trouble with the retainer clip inside the MC dragging on the HB ram. Started bleeding process, pushed pedal to floor 1st time and it stayed there. Finally started to remove the MC from HB and pedal returned to normal position. Completed the removal and saw scratches on HB! Ground the ears on the retainer rings down some and still have problem. Guess I will have to grind more off. Photos attached.
Conrad

I got my HB from Elliott Sydnam, in Tx. He uses new units, and makes the mts as you want.
I'm not sure what HB you have...
What's that retainer ring for?? Wilwood has no such in it. Nor, as I recall, does the HB.

Chuck,
I'm using an original 1984 hydroboost that came on my car. Looking and measuring, I don;t see anyway that the MC will work. The retaining ring (keeps the piston on the HB from popping out) protrudes too far in to clear the HB ram when brake is applied. See photos of retaining ring.
Conrad

Attachments

• wilwood.jpg
    wilwood.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 204
  • wilwood#1.jpg
    wilwood#1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 168
Correction...the retaining ring keeps the piston of the master cylinder (not the hydroboost) from poping out.
Conrad

Swap the snap ring out with a stock mc style that doesn't have the ears....I ran into this with a few reman cast masters during some of my conversions....if you can't find one, pm me...I have a few extras.

Turbonut85,
That looks like what I need. Would you send me one? I babe 1.125" M/C.
U.S. Mail shipping address:
Conrad Carter
P.O. Box 1760
Albemarle, NC 28002-1760

UPS/FedEx:
353 Harwood St

Conrad