You can type here any text you want

Windows XP and USB for FAST?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

808 87 WE2

Gentlemen,

Hi, Im new to this forum, but I am very impressed with all the good info concerning the FAST system!!!...In fact I started looking back at old threads to catch up with some tech tips and real world question that apply to the FAST system...

Im in a long term project to build a single turbo sbc..but in the mean time, i would like to learn as much as i can about the FAST and Accel Gen 7 efi systems...

Craig, Lance or any of you FAST experts....
Are there going to be any provisions to run the FAST on windows xp?
From what i understand, FAST will only work on older window operating systems...will the "newer" fast system that suppose to come out support newer window operating systems?

I dont own a laptop now, but will get one when i get my turbo project rolling....
Mostly all new laptops dont have serial ports anymore, just USB stuff....anyone have succes using a usb instead of a serial port?

thanks
Jeff :)

The FAST system works with Windows XP and always has. PCs without a serial port can be used with a USB to serial port adapter.

If you can get a laptop with a serial port in it, that would certainly simplify the process and remove the cost of the adapter.

:cool:
Craig...as always, you always come through!!

Just thought i'd ask...any news on the "new" fast system?

Thank You
Jeff

Zillions of cool things in this puppy. There will be details released as soon as possible, hopefully not long from now.

My system having all kind of problem with Window XP and the USB. It will not work with my XP. I had to spilt my hard drive into two partition and install Window 98 on one. Now, I'm able to see my ECU but having problems with connection due to the USB adapter. Is there anything special you doing to make Window XP work? I would appreciated for any help. Robert

Robert
Read Craigs reply to one of my prior posts it may help you.I don't know what adapter you are using in the USB Port but the only way I could make it work was buy the adapter and the software program from Circuit City $30. I am using windows M E right now but in a few weeks I intend to switch to windows XP

Craig Smith
Over 99 billion served.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Two Lane
True...the cheapest way around this FAST problem is to get a copy of Windows 95 and put that in your new computer as a 2nd operating system (in addition to its factory-installed XP).

Windows 95 even boots up momentarily directly in DOS, so that's the ticket for the FAST problem.

There's just so much more the new Accel Gen 7+ can do so easily and beautifully with its full Windows XP compatibility.

HTH
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This implies that the FAST system doesn't work under Windows XP, and this simply is not the case. The DOS version will not work under Windows XP, but the Windows version works fine. I have hundreds of customers doing this and I am not sure why some people are having trouble. We have a couple machines here at the shop running under XP tha work great. I can definitely rule out operating system compatibility as the culprit.

Most of our luck in solving these problems so far has come from shutting off some of the 8 billion programs that are running in the background on new XP machines. The trend from PC manufacturers and dealers these days seems to be to jam as many programs into a PC as possible (which is good) and set them all up so they all start running when you power up the PC (which is bad).

Reggie, sounds like you are past the communication problems so that is good. If you continue to have trouble with C-ComWP locking up, you may want to try and begin closing other applications on the PC. Press CTRL + ALT + DEL once, and the task manager will appear. You will see a list of everything running on the PC. The PC only needs the applications called EXPLORER and SYSTRAY to run. Everything else is extra. Obviously you will need whichever program is installed for your USB adapter and then C-ComWP itself, but try closing everything else. I don't believe Windows ME was the most stable version of Windows.

Originally posted by Reginald West
Robert
Read Craigs reply to one of my prior posts it may help you.I don't know what adapter you are using in the USB Port but the only way I could make it work was buy the adapter and the software program from Circuit City $30. I am using windows M E right now but in a few weeks I intend to switch to windows XP

Craig Smith
Over 99 billion served.

quote:
Originally posted by Two Lane
True...the cheapest way around this FAST problem is to get a copy of Windows 95 and put that in your new computer as a 2nd operating system (in addition to the factory-installed XP).

Windows 95 even boots up momentarily directly in DOS, so that's the ticket for the FAST problem.
________________________________________________ . The DOS version [of FAST] will not work under Windows XP.

Precisely.

HTH :)

Reginald
I got an adaptor from Comp USA and came with a driver. I install it and got it to work. It just seem that everytime I move the laptop it loses connection. I don't know if the USB port is very sensitive or what. I do have the window verson C-Comp. I will try to use XP again and close all program. Let you know what happen. Thanks for the help. Robert

As there seems to be continuing confusion on what the FAST system can or cannot do, let me take one more shot at clarifying this.

The FAST software works just fine under Windows XP. There is nothing specific to this operating system that would prohibit someone from successfully running C-ComWP. We have many customers using Windows XP and since computers now produced are shipped with XP installed, we will have many more.

As more and more software packages are bundled into new PCs, the likelihood of some conflict between programs increases. This is true with ANY operating system. Almost every communication problem we have resolved on a Windows XP machine has been resolved by uninstalling a program such as AOL Instant Messenger or other programs which use the PC's communication port. Depending on the state of many user-selected options, these programs can sometimes "tie up" the communication port. Since only one device at a time can use a given port, attempting to access this port with C-ComWP results in a communcation error message. Again, this scenario has shown itself under ANY operating system.

This is not to say that you have to uninstall AIM to get things working; it's an example. Bottom line is that there aren't any OS-related problems.

I'll be getting an XP-equipped PC in my hands next week that currently won't communicate with the FAST system. I'll post here with what we did to make it work when I am finished.

I hope this clears things up for everyone.

Well, I tried Window XP again and it still doesn't work. I close all programs except for c-com, explorer, and systray. It keep saying it can not connect to ecu. I give up. Thanks for your help. Robert

Robert, sorry for your trouble. I'll let you know what I find out with the PC I'll have next week.

Originally posted by 6TURBOV6
Well, I tried Window XP again and it still doesn't work. I close all programs except for c-com, explorer, and systray. It keep saying it can not connect to ecu. I give up. Thanks for your help. Robert

Are you using CCom, or CComWP? The dos version (CCom) will NOT work under XP. If that is what your trying, you'll never get it to work. Problem is XP wont give port resources to DOS programs. If youre using WP, then forget what I ust said. I do use WP under XP just fine on a Dell Inspiron 2500 P900 w/256 meg. The 15" screen is a joy I'll tell ya!

6TURBOV6 the problem you are seeing there may be something else.

Check to make sure the USB software is loaded on whichever COM port you are using.

I have noticed that if I place the laptop in a hibernate mode, for some strange reason, when I go to use the computer again the driver is no longer there and the FAST ECM will not communicate without it.

The only way I can fix this little problem is to reboot the laptop and it will reload the USB driver up. I have not found a better fix for this yet.

Craig, I have a coulpe of my customers that have Fast stuff on there cars and I'm in a real delema. Long story short. I have a laptop of a older style (I.E. windows 98) that I used for the Fast stuff because I also could not get the XP system to work. That laptop is a history unit. (Shorted out Fast cable) Now I have only the XP laptop and still I cant get it the conect w/ a usb adapter.. (no sreial port) I've talked with some of your dealers and the tell me it won't work but can tell me why. Now I have these two cars that I sold Fast systems to about 3 years ago and I can t tune them. We are a EMIC dealer and now use alot of Gen 7 stuff and have no problem at all with them. These guys are a little piss about the hole thing and want to put gen7 on there cars but at my expence. So heres the deal. You can be a hero and tell me how to make it work. I've read alot of how come it doesn't work on this site but never a I 'll tell how.

Hope you can help me. I'm told your the man..... Thanks Charlie Sikes ADC RACING ENGINES

Sinister you should be able to hook the adapter to the USB port on the back of the laptop.

That is how I am using mine. The symbol for it is the pitchfork on the back of the laptop.

All the PDA units that are out there are a serial type adapter and so is the FAST unit.

Good luck

Back