You can type here any text you want

Windows XP & USB connection help needed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Buicksx2

RCA: Home of the The Jack
Hi All,

Got a new Dell laptop and wanted to connect it to the FAST with the USB conector but it will not connect and let me get online.

Whats the secret and tips?

Thanks

Rich, not sure if there's any secret. I went to Comp USA and bought a USB to serial adapter and it works fine. You do have to set up your com ports though. I also have a brand new Dell.

Thats what I did and it won't connect, what exactly do I have to do with the ports? Keep in mind computer dunce here........lol.

Thanks for any and all help.

Originally posted by Buicksx2
Thats what I did and it won't connect, what exactly do I have to do with the ports? Keep in mind computer dunce here........lol.

Thanks for any and all help.

1) Right click on My Computer and pick properties.
2) Select the Hardware Tab on the menu that appears.
3) Click on Device Manager
4) Under "Ports (COM & LPT), you should find your USB --> Serial Adapter.
5) Pick proper port from #4 above and select properties by right clicking on that object.

Inside that menu, you can change the port to any free COM port. You have to use a port between 1-4 for C-COM. Usually, COM1 will be taken by the internal serial port in your laptop, so you can use 2-4.

Good luck,

Ron

Ron,

Thanks so much...........will print this out and give it a shot.

Thanks again I appreciate it.

Ron,

Thanks so much...........will print this out and give it a shot.

Thanks again I appreciate it.

Anytime. My expertise is on the systems end, but I came here to learn from you guys about the FAST.

Let me know if you need more help - either post here, or mail me privately.

Ron

Ron,

Thanks again for the tip, I changed ports and got her to fire up with the serial port and she is now running on the new Dell with Windows XP.

Thanks again appreciate it.

Stay well.

Ron,

Thanks again for the tip, I changed ports and got her to fire up with the serial port and she is now running on the new Dell with Windows XP.

Rich - no problem. Glad i was able to help.

Ron

Back