Wtf a D6? What Stall?

Drewster

Wish I Had A Clone. AKA Andrew Youlio
I just dusted off my old torque converter which came out of my Ttype before i went to a 9/11. I thought was a D5 but now I see it is a D6. Also stamped GM 15 SPEL. Any guess what the stall might be. I can't remember since I pulled it 12yrs ago. Couldn't have been too high since it was improved by the 2800 9/11. Maybe 2200?
Also has a X'd out stamp of KB200HSL

Any guess appreciated
Andrew

86 T-type modified
86 T-type. Lightly modified

I'm no trans expert but I would expect it to stall lower than a D5. Maybe 1800 - 2000 at most would be my guess.

well, the KB unit was roughly equivalent to the "red stripe" converters. Not sure why it would have been x'd out unless it was rebuilt or modified by someone else.

No way to guess what the stall speed might be. any info about how it performed in your car?

B

I was a bit laggy for a TA49

86 T-type modified

Considering it had the KB part number you can ignore the D6 stampings. The core has been modified for some extra stall speed so the stampings don't mean anything. A restalled 12" converter will gain about 400 rpm over a stock GN converter which puts stall around 2200 rpm. The stock GN was around 1800 and the V8 converter was 1500 or so.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

2200 sounds bout right. Thanks for the confirmation

86 T-type modified

I just put a 12" lockup converter in a 84 chevy 4 wheel drive 700r4 30 spline ( shaft had been upgraded) that had 6's maked all the way around the converter stock stall 1200-1500 stall