X-Ray's rear downforce wing built by Coach

When the heck is the one pc bumper/filler/airdam project going to be done, that thread has been teasing me for over a year, it would solve several of the "wants" on the alum air dam.
The bowed out version can be built using the same process as rolling a cone, but a weldment would make more sense.

Aren't you worried about high speeds ripping this thing off? It seems like a lot of stress on a part that's taped on. The factory spoiler is just double sided taped on right?

Rafs-T-Type said:
Aren't you worried about high speeds ripping this thing off? It seems like a lot of stress on a part that's taped on. The factory spoiler is just double sided taped on right?

Don't know if it's taped on or not but it is also a weak part.

lrayzer said:
When the heck is the one pc bumper/filler/airdam project going to be done, that thread has been teasing me for over a year, it would solve several of the "wants" on the alum air dam.
The bowed out version can be built using the same process as rolling a cone, but a weldment would make more sense.

I'm not building that. I may do a carbon fiber downforce spoiler, but it's after the rest of my build is finished.
Wrong thread.

turbot3.8 said:
Don't know if it's taped on or not but it is also a weak part.

No it's not taped on. It's held down with 6 bolts across the decklid. The spoiler is more then strong enough unless guys need it to stick back further. Basically we are showing the brackets. If you went with a 6 inch wing or wider, there would be supports coming up from the bumper to help. Once it's supported, the front has no stress on it at all. It's just holding it in place.
We are looking into making brackets that will bolt onto a bare Regal decklid without a factory spoiler.

EVIL said:
Where do you see tape in those pictures? I see brackets with pre-drilled holes for bolts.

It also helps to read before commenting.

D

Yes you are right read first!

I never said it was taped on, I was commenting on the previous post.

Where do you see tape in those pictures? I see brackets with pre-drilled holes for bolts.

It also helps to read before commenting.

D

I thought the stock spoiler may be held on with double sided tape, and it looked like there was a roll of it in the one picture. As I have never removed or installed a factory spoiler I really didn't know how it was attached. Now I do ;)

Rafs-T-Type said:
I thought the stock spoiler may be held on with double sided tape, and it looked like there was a roll of it in the one picture. As I have never removed or installed a factory spoiler I really didn't know how it was attached. Now I do ;)

Good eye. I used foam tape to make sure the brackets didn't dig into the paint. It's just used as a barrier.

Any updates/new pictures?

If not needed for a performance stand point, it's still cool to bolt on mods like this to add a little flare. Especially if its removable. I like it, good idea and nothing wrong with a modern touch.

Thanks Joe

Waiting on X-ray to send new programs for the next 2 styles. Nothing else yet.

Thanks

Any updates?
Not really. I'm working on things up in the front of the car and the wing is way way way in the back of the car!!! Hahaha. There has been talk about trying to water jet the brackets, but I don't think they can be made that way. They need to be very precise. Water jets are good, but not that good.
The hold up is time and trying to make them affordable. I have no desire to make parts that are too costly or not superior quality. My build is just hogging my time right now.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I would like to see the end results and different designs

Joe
There is only one design. Different angles, but one design. The end result is in the pics. The only change will be the gap between the decklid and the wing will be tightened up to about 1/4 inch. I'm building a carbon fiber one for my car, but the price is insane. Dont think it would sell, but might be a special order for a serious racecar. It will require additional support rods coming from the bottom of the decklid and will need holes drilled in the decklid itself. This was not the intention for the wing when started, thats why I'm building that one for me.

I don't disagree with that.
Just an idea, what if the holders "attaching points" were moved to the back of the stock spoiler going under the extension piece. With recessed mounting holes for the attaching pieces. Counter sunk for beveled Allen head bolts.

I like the idea of filling in the gap between the spoiler and new extension.

What about widening it to come all the way out to the corners with some kind of ends on it for a more finished look.
It look cool from the side. Not meaning to step on your toes here, just throwing some ideas out there

Joe

There is not enough to fasten it to if you move the brackets underneath. There is very little space on the rear edge. Every wing on the market attaches on top of the lid. As for widening it...there is no decent way to trim it out. Start adding ends to it and it becomes a joke. A "ricer" add on. This wing is totally functional. This was engineered to be semi-incognito, not in your face. Maybe 2 out of 10 guys noticed it on my car at Norwalk last summer when I installed it.
The NASCAR style will stand out way more. The AutoCross guys will love it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app