X-Ray's rear downforce wing built by Coach

I like it. A lot. For a fast car needing some rear downforce, I think it looks sharp. I like it, and it is much more subtle than the type on my car I bought. It would be functional, and not need to be pulled off for street driving, or not look like overkill.

BTW, Coach, if you do a longer one, where you said you would run supports to the bumper, consider doing links like mine where you can adjust it, leave it adjusted, and still be able to open the trunk. Just a suggestion.

Looks killer!

DSC02663.JPG
DSC02663.JPG
DSC02665.JPG

I'd be more interested in a RR style Donnie and I see Donnie Wang checking in here shortly.;) He could really use one to keep the back of his car down better.:D

Any thoughts to make it as wide as the car and not just the decklid? Maybe taper the ends down so it looks likes factory extension of the entire rear spoiler and fits flush with the quarter panel extension pieces but still in on piece so you can open the deck lid with the spoiler hanging over the edges.

Pittsburghkid said:
Any thoughts to make it as wide as the car and not just the decklid? Maybe taper the ends down so it looks likes factory extension of the entire rear spoiler and fits flush with the quarter panel extension pieces but still in on piece so you can open the deck lid with the spoiler hanging over the edges.

There was no good way to fit it over the side extensions. They have too big a radius. On the NASCAR style...it may be easier to make it look right, but the drag style. Nope.

A suggestion: While doing a drag race spoiler, how about some "love" for a ft air dam. I know at 140+, my GN got really "easy to steer" at about the 1000' mark. [Videos showed a considerable gap between the top of the tires and the lower lip of the fender.]
Adding downforce at the rear will only aggravate this problem...
I'd be interested in the direct to the lid version.

I like the wing but I'm gonna remind everyone that this is where we can show our work off, but not sell it or ask about selling one to whoever.;)

I like the wing but I'm gonna remind everyone that this is where we can show our work off, but not sell it or ask about selling one to whoever.;)

charlief1 said:

There are none to sell. Only 1 wing was built and 3 sets of brackets.
This may turn into a product, but that is a ways off. Just looking for feedback.
It's all good Charlie

There are none to sell. Only 1 wing was built and 3 sets of brackets.
This may turn into a product, but that is a ways off. Just looking for feedback.
It's all good Charlie
That wasn't directed at you Donnie, but everyone in general.;)

A suggestion: While doing a drag race spoiler, how about some "love" for a ft air dam. I know at 140+, my GN got really "easy to steer" at about the 1000' mark. [Videos showed a considerable gap between the top of the tires and the lower lip of the fender.]
Adding downforce at the rear will only aggravate this problem...
I'd be interested in the direct to the lid version.

Hey Chuck,
I'm looking at the one piece front air dams for a front mount intercooler and thinking about changing the angle of it. What do you think about adding angles to it on all sides? Instead of just straight down all the way around, we bring it out on about a 60 degree angle and wrap it around the sides enough to flare the air past the front tires? It wouldnt change the look of it much at all, but I think it would help shear the air around the front end of the car instead of being a "big plow" like it is now. Give me some feedback. I will have to sketch a little drawing to really show what im thinking.

Thanks
Coach
image-212972224.jpg

I like the idea, and like the look of it. For the race car I wanted to build a lower valance out of aluminum, but lengthen it about 1 to 1 1/2" and angle it outward for a little downforce. I like the idea of flaring it out a little, possibly shrouding the tires. As long as it didnt go outboard too much, creating a reversion or dirty air affect.

Looks good.

Squid4life said:
I like the idea, and like the look of it. For the race car I wanted to build a lower valance out of aluminum, but lengthen it about 1 to 1 1/2" and angle it outward for a little downforce. I like the idea of flaring it out a little, possibly shrouding the tires. As long as it didnt go outboard too much, creating a reversion or dirty air affect.

Looks good.

That is the idea. Hard to do out of alum because the corners would be "cone" shaped which would require the alum to be stretched. Alum don't like to be stretched. Molding it would be best.

Hey Chuck,
I'm looking at the one piece front air dams for a front mount intercooler and thinking about changing the angle of it. What do you think about adding angles to it on all sides? Instead of just straight down all the way around, we bring it out on about a 60 degree angle and wrap it around the sides enough to flare the air past the front tires? It wouldnt change the look of it much at all, but I think it would help shear the air around the front end of the car instead of being a "big plow" like it is now. Give me some feedback. I will have to sketch a little drawing to really show what im thinking.

Thanks
Coach
View attachment 176201
Here's some old items. Gezz there are some ugly ass cars on that site. http://laureneng.com/1823694.html

That is the idea. Hard to do out of alum because the corners would be "cone" shaped which would require the alum to be stretched. Alum don't like to be stretched. Molding it would be best.

True, I looked at: http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/fabricated-front-airdamn-pics.332512/
which was a great build, love the air dams, but they are straight down like the OEMs. Maybe the template would be more "L" or wide "U" shaped if it really needed to be one piece. I don't mind 3 piece, welded at the corners. (love the look of sexy welds. ;) )