Yet another "What Converter For Me" thread

TType85

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Mods are in the sig below. What would be the right converter to go with this combo?

The converter in the car right now lets the turbo spool pretty quickly, but I know the OLD 9/11's like this one were turds for slipping on the top end. The paperwork I had said it should have been a 3K stall converter, I actually see 0-1psi at ~2600-2650 on the powerlogger.

To see how it spools now see the videos in this post:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbos-turbo-related-parts/360931-installed-my-ta-6262-dbb.html

Have you used the Powerlogger to see what % it slips? Have you tried it locked at the track?

Have you used the Powerlogger to see what % it slips? Have you tried it locked at the track?

I know we used to lock it back when the car had a TA-49/bluetop combo but I don't recall if we ever locked it at WOT with this motor. I am waiting on my ET Streets to get it out to do some real testing, but the Kenne Bell 9x11 converters are not known to be very good. This one was restalled a bit higher than it was orginally.

It must be pretty old then. There are several choices depending on if you want a lockup street or lockup for the track or non lockup. The trend for higher powered cars the see the track more often than not seems to be the 9.5 PTC. Define your goals and talk to several trans vendors here. Be prepared to spend some coin, a good converter is not cheap, on the other hand they can make a huge difference in how the car performs.

It must be pretty old then. There are several choices depending on if you want a lockup street or lockup for the track or non lockup. The trend for higher powered cars the see the track more often than not seems to be the 9.5 PTC. Define your goals and talk to several trans vendors here. Be prepared to spend some coin, a good converter is not cheap, on the other hand they can make a huge difference in how the car performs.

The converter is from the late 90s. The goals with the car is high 10's in the 1/4. It is a weekend driver and it will probably only see 5-6 events per year thanks to the way the tracks are going out here. I had a 9" Art Carr N/L in my last TR and loved it.

My budget will be around $1K or so.

Your converter should not slip excessively unless something is wrong with it. That stall should have good efficiency numbers. A swap to my 9.5 non lock would increase spool-up without sacrificing top end slip due to the lighter weight and different design.