005 GNX Dash Number Plate

m233roller

Banned
I know wrong place but thought I'd give you GNX guys first chance at this. This is one VERY RARE piece.

Here is number 005 GNX dash number right out of the glove box of number 005. This is the spare that was bought with the car when purchased new. I know all this to be accurate and true as I'm selling this for a good friend of mine here that owned the car. This is the original number plate NOT the second version done and is MINT. $350 Shipped & Insured. 3% if paypaling. Price is FIRM !! Thanks Mike

Attachments

• 2395.jpg
    2395.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 576
Interesting! Hum

Long story short, I ordered and got the second style (replacement) off GNX005 three special serial numbers. I also got wheels and guages. I didn't want the other parts.

I don't know how another first style plate was obtained????????? I know I little to much about the way things were done back then on the special GNX parts.

I still have the plate because of what I was put through by that "dealer". GNX005 went through a few people's hands. That was the first GNX available for retail sale to the public. It was held back at ASC with some kind of emission issue as I recall. When I traveled back to Livonia, MI. in 1987 I saw it sidelined. I think I still have the pictures of it there at ASC. Maybe I'll post what I know of it one day. I bought my GN off the guy that originally had his name on GNX005's invoice. Buick Mart was the only dealer in the country to receive (3) GNX from Buick. GNX005 being one of them.

GNX 005 Number

Sorry to say but your alittle off on your information here. Yes you might have seen it sitting at ASC but it then went to BIG dealer in CA. The dealer was Lou Webb and that's who (Brian) my good friend bought it from with 400 and some miles on it. I can't remember for sure but I don't think the car had ever been titled until Brian bought it. As far as the dash number goes I was right there when we were going threw all the paper work ( and it had a bunch) when that number fell out of the owners manual. Brian sold the car to a fellow in CA. and I still chat with him every now and then. Here is the original right out of the glove box and the car getting loaded up for it's journey back to CA. Also a pic. of the second version numbers. Sincerely Mike D.

Attachments

• 2401.jpg
    2401.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 330
  • 100_0199.jpg
    100_0199.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 310
  • 100_0202.jpg
    100_0202.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 309
Oh yeah, you are right about it being the first GNX to go to a dealer for public sell but was never sold until Brian bought it in 2004.

That would be Lou Webb's Buick Mark In Ceritos, Ca. you were a little off. [Your excused. I'm really used to the crowd that now flocks around these cars in later years.] Buick Mart is also where I bought my GN from. Mac McAlmond the fleet manager was the first person who's name was on the car. (I don't care what tale was told by Lou) But passed on it because of the stock market dropped on the day GNX005 came in by truck to the dealership. Then Mac told me the car was mine when Honest Lou Webb woke up from sleep and retained it for "his son" I still have the check that wasn't cashed. I got a GN at cost because of the way Lou treated "my deal". And any or all GNX parts I wanted at cost. Mac, Mr. Hazzard the General Manager and Richard the Parts Manager all helped me out on anything GM I needed for years after. I really don't know how many miles that car actually has and where it was repainted. It ran a California dealer tag for some time. I knew a tech at that store that filled me in later on the drama it received before it went to Lou's warehouse up north. Yes I know Brian C. was the winning bidder on Ebay. No matter it is still a nice car. I've got the 1/18 scale GNX005. with the small poster that came with it in storage. Sorry to say, yeah same car same place. Now you know a little more. Xray would also be able to tell you how you couldn't get a duplicate first style plate back then no matter who you were or what you had. There are plenty of people doing repops of everything these day. Who knows and cares nice part for someone.

I don't know how I was alittle off the dealer was Lou Webb. I didn't have or remember the dealer stores name. Say what you may but that number was in that manual for ALONG time and as you can see it's NOT the repop style or second version as some like to call it. ?? I have had a couple of nice conversations with Rick in BG. As far as being used to the crowd that now flocks around these cars in later years , I am too. Been at them for 21 years now.

GNX005 is not a repo is the real deal. I have several real GNX badges that I bought back then. Some of you guys may know the difference from a real GNX badge to a repo.... GNX 409 is a repo

If you guys don't see the difference from the pic of both badges that mike took, I can.... they are total different

I am by NO means an expert on GNX's and all I can say is what was told to my friend (Brian) by Lou Webb about the extra dash number and other things about that car. I know there are two different ones: The original or first design and the second design. The 005 badge shown here is the first design. Yes Lou bought the GNX for his son and he NEVER had anything to do with it. Lou kept it in storage and showrooms until he decided to downsize getting ready for retirement. I guess he called his son and told him to come and get his car and the son told him to do whatever he wanted to with it, he didn't want that old car. !!! Yup Paul REAL DEAL.

i am by no means an expert on gnx's and all i can say is what was told to my friend (brian) by lou webb about the extra dash number and other things about that car. I know there are two different ones: The original or first design and the second design. The 005 badge shown here is the first design. Yes lou bought the gnx for his son and he never had anything to do with it. Lou kept it in storage and showrooms until he decided to downsize getting ready for retirement. I guess he called his son and told him to come and get his car and the son told him to do whatever he wanted to with it, he didn't want that old car. !!! Yup paul real deal.
did i win something ? If so does it come in black ? Your gonna take care of shipping right... Thanks mike ..

DSC02006.jpg

A pic of parts that were ordered for me that I didn't order myself. The parts manager at Buick Mart gave them to me. He liked to mess with the guy he called the "School Teacher" *@ GMSPO who would call the ordering dealer and question every GNX marked part number orders.(*He told me the guy lacked all possible personality) I really don't know what you've got there. All I know is after I discovered that there was a difference in the plates (I compaired this one in pic to GNX005 in place plate) Richard called ST and asked him why there was a difference. ST stated something about GM trying to keep people from making replica cars. I don't know about this I never talked to the ST first person. Dennis Kirban's book showed the difference in a pic years later. It would be interesting to see what Xray has to add on the subject. I recall the plate supplier's rep. was at ASC conversion with three "wet" (as he called them) number plates in his hand. This was when I was waiting up front for my friend of a friend to show me around ASC's GNX /Mclaren Mustang conversion.

And for what it is worth!

I'm far from being an "expert"on a GN or a GNX. If I have the slightest bit of doubt on something. I'll ask those that were there and built the cars. And no one else. Why? Because first hand knowlage is the most reliable. I know the 87 GN pretty well because I'm hands on and took delivery of mine October of 1987. But I'm still no expert on it.

I find it interesting that Richard would of had to order your plate from GM.........? He never told me that he placed another order. You never know he did like to screw with ST bad. LOL I'll call him tomorrow and see what he remembers and says.

I bought the restored power antenna from that car. It was in MINT condition... the special GNX antenna ceramic coating was even there. I think it was aerodynamically tuned to give minimum wind resistance. Good for another .0001 MPH in the quarter I've heard! :D Thanks Mike! Wasn't GNX 005 an FBI issued car or am I "a little off" as well? :rolleyes:

I bought the restored power antenna from that car. It was in MINT condition... the special GNX antenna ceramic coating was even there. I think it was aerodynamically tuned to give minimum wind resistance. Good for another .0001 MPH in the quarter I've heard! :D Thanks Mike! Wasn't GNX 005 an FBI issued car or am I "a little off" as well? :rolleyes:

From what I was told by "J. Edgar Hoover " wayyyy back when was that in the future they had a deal with GM to get 1 GNX to use as a "VIP" car and some reg GNs to put in service to chase down the bad guys !! SERIOUSLY !!:p