You can type here any text you want

1-2 Accumulator Housing issues (threaded bolt holes)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jan Larsson

Just to see what you all think, I'm no tranny guy and try not to mess with them on my own if I can avoid it however when I had the tranny rebuilt many years ago I was told one of the two bolt holes for the 1-2 accumulator housing had poor threads and when I replaced the filter and oil a few years back I did carfully feel both bolts and one of them did seem like it would just rotate if I would use a wrench on it.

I have since noticed when driving slow (30-40mph) that I get a bit of sluggish what appears like down shift then quickly back again ... not sure if it's shifting down or not but it feels like it but just for a second or so ... not had a scan tool in the car at the moment to see if it actually do shift or if there's something else going on.

So the question would be if the housing is not properly torqued down and it's "leaking" around the gasket area (or the plate down there) what would be the symptoms?

And next question would be can I helicoil the threaded hole without taking everything else apart (thinking about the valve body and plate/gasket) ... ?

So the housing I'm talking about it no 929 (in red) in the attached exploded illustration held in place by 2 bolts.

Any help much appreciated.
t2001[1] - Copy.png

Your symptom probably isn't related. If you had a big leak on that circuit you would burn the band and drum the first time it attempted to shift with any power on it. The threads are easily heli-coiled. 6mm

Your symptom probably isn't related. If you had a big leak on that circuit you would burn the band and drum the first time it attempted to shift with any power on it. The threads are easily heli-coiled. 6mm

Ya seems to be no issues with the transmission but like to helicoil that one when I do an oil change just to make sure it does not start giving me some problems down the line.

So you say its an M6 bolt; any idea of the depth (so length helicoil I would need)? Just so I can get all the parts needed before I drop the pan.

Confession is good for the soul , they say . I had my torque wrench set wrong and boogered up one of the bolt holes for the 1/2 accumulator housing . I stopped before totaly stripping it out . I made a stud longer than the bolt and red locktited it in the hole . My luck is going to run out one of these days . :oops:

What Bison says is the correct way to do it .

Jan Larsson said:
Ya seems to be no issues with the transmission but like to helicoil that one when I do an oil change just to make sure it does not start giving me some problems down the line.

So you say its an M6 bolt; any idea of the depth (so length helicoil I would need)? Just so I can get all the parts needed before I drop the pan.

Use the housing/length of bolt protusion and count the protruding threads. If insert is too long clip the coils off one at a time. 4-6 coils is plenty

Back