You can type here any text you want

10 under crank reliability

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GBGN1

stroked
Ive located a BA steel 3.625 crank.Mains are standard ,rods are 10 under.Any reason reason to worry about that?Im thinken it will take the abuse but wanted a second opinion.Thanks:wink:

How much power you planning on making and with how much boost. I don't think .010 under is that big a deal.

Building for around 650-700 at flywheel.I think it will be ok to.Just wanted another opinion .thanks!!!

we have used a 20/20 STOCK crank with no problems for 20k anyway.. ran 9s@ 138+ :cool:

I agree with Grumpy. I never understand why people think that a 20/20 crank is weaker? The rolled fillets are usually deeper than .020 (usually .050"+) The weak link in a Buick crank is the rod cross-over not the actual thickness of the journal. .020" is still only .010" on each side. If any of you want to dispose of your .010/.010 turbo cranks because they are weak, send them my way. I'l use them in everything but a 700+HP engine, but that's only because the forged cranks are cheap enough to use for that power level.

I ran a stock crank 20/20 deep in the tens, and few years later broke a standard crank. Detonation will break things faster than taking .020 worth of metal off. Like above, the tune is the key to a good engine life.

The amount of material they are removing is something like the thickness of a human hair..... Run it!

I'd run the .010 under ba crank to 1000hp and not be concerned at all. I'd be more concerned about the block/rods used and the tune

Ive located a BA steel 3.625 crank.Mains are standard ,rods are 10 under.Any reason reason to worry about that?Im thinken it will take the abuse but wanted a second opinion.Thanks:wink:

Without knowing what "abuse" the crank was subjected to for it to be turned, and your plan is use [race , street,?], it is difficult for me to base an opinion for yes or no? :confused:

I have had a 0.010" under forged crank break during break in, seen others break at idle and some a high RPM, and have seen stock cranks destroyed in an engine on a 13 sec. pass.

Also have seen 10 under cranks run for seasons with no problem. :)

Very simply, my opinion if I was spending close to $10K on a new engine, I would not settle for anything less than a new "heart"! :biggrin:

The rolled fillets are usually deeper than .020 (usually .050"+)

I measured mine at .025" under. So a crank could be turned only twice (to 0.020") and still retain the fillets.

Back