11.999 On Stock Heads?

Boost231

What's An Intercooler
Staff member
just wodering if anyone has run 11.999 with stock heads and and un-opened motor? im going for it once my turbo gets back from precision.

Yea... A guy I used to race with back in the very early 90s ran 11.80s with stock turbo and stock heads.

no way. i want to know how he did that. was the car gutted? was it a un-opened motor.

It was an unopened 100,000 mile motor. I dont think we even put a timing chain on it.

The car was so stock it was pathetic. It had a home built fuel pump booster (Back before any of that stuff even existed, where do you think everyone got the idea?), a home made fender dump, stock fuel pump, stock injectors, etc.

The car wasn't gutted but it was fairly light from the factory. Crank windows, no power seat, etc. There's been some others get close to this ET as well. Racing them all the time and getting them close to optimum tune helps a lot.

i would really like to hit 11\'s with my car before i do heads. i dont see why i cant run 25-30 psi of boost.

Except for a Kenne Bell TX cam and gaskets, Terry Penner sprayed his stock 231 into the 11.80's. You may be able to dig it up in the archives. Well Brent, you are well on your way. The better the heads obviously, the faster you are going to go. I am in your corner, I think you can crack 11.99 with current config. you may have to up the boost into the high 20's and maybe play with timing in the chip. You have the ablility to SET your OWN record and DAMN nice car to do it with....:biggrin:

I am not sure Drew Carlton even touched his heads.... Maybe someone from Texas can chime in and tell us....

Chuck

Yea... A guy I used to race with back in the very early 90s ran 11.80s with stock turbo and stock heads.

Hey Jay, Not trying to be sceptical or anything but you are talking about a hot air car right? Most say that the stock hot air turbo is outta gas by the mid 12's.

No.. Intercooled car.. The Gallina's hot air car ran deep in the 11s with untouched heads and stock cam tho. Course, they were also running 30+ PSI.

well

well i posted this in the hotair section asking for any hotair guys if the have or have know anyone. im talking about getting a hotair car to 11.999 with stock heads stock cam and unopend motor..

well i posted this in the hotair section asking for any hotair guys if the have or have know anyone. im talking about getting a hotair car to 11.999 with stock heads stock cam and unopend motor..

I'm sorry about that. :frown:

its all good. im not sure there is anyone but i could be wrong. not sure if lee has done it or if Gallina did it with stock heads and cam. just wondering if i might be the first. would kinda be sweet if i got there.

its all good. im not sure there is anyone but i could be wrong. not sure if lee has done it or if Gallina did it with stock heads and cam. just wondering if i might be the first. would kinda be sweet if i got there.

So what if you are third? :D
I am in your corner as well.

This would be a good question for someone who was on the crew of Gallina's hotair. Give Nick a call.

I personally tore the Gallina's car down and handed the heads to NHRA tech and was standing there when the cam was measured. If it wasn't stock, it was close enough to pass NHRA tech.

Sorry about the intercooled reference above.. I hadnt noticed that this post was in the hotair section.

From 9 years ago

And I know the car would run deep in the 11s in that trim. I saw it with my own eyes on more than 1 occasion.

jay

jay c. any susgestion to getting my car to my goal of 11.999 with stock heads and cam before i put heads on it.

jay c. any susgestion to getting my car to my goal of 11.999 with stock heads and cam before i put heads on it.

You can take the route they took. Lots and lots of boost. I drove that car a few times and it was 30+ every pass. I seriously think the wastegate was wired shut going from memory.

That and the car left really hard due to some brake trickery they had going on. 1.4 60 foot times were common on that car. They had 12 inch drums on the back with no proportioning valve.

so

so u think the car will do it with boost? i have goten 1.6 60's out of my car and i wasnt trying to hard to get it lower. im guess around 28-30 it will go 11.99 with some timing changes. any input?