11 seconds on street tires?

peterkin

..it isn't rocket science
How many of you guys with 109 blocks can run 11's on street tires ( radials ). I'm just curious because I had my car back at the track this past weekend after replacing broken rocker shafts and the thing ran 12.14@115 first pass on low timing. I proceeded to play with the car all night running 12.19, 12.17, 12.10, etc. I finally broke an 11.98@116 on Yokohama ?? 255/50/16 tires. How many people have done this, or better?

Oh, I was getting 1.92 60' times with a could 1.82 60' times thrown in there.

You can get the 60s down to 1.45 or better you can get 11.50@118.I have run a best of 11.68@117 with a 1.53/60 on nitto's.

I have cut 1.71 at Baytown on fresh Nittos. Thats more Baytown than the tires I am sure as their track prep was great.

I meant street tires, not drag radials or slicks, no racing style sticky tire. Sorry about the confusion.

11.36@119.77 but that was with my nova with 36$radials from tire kingdom 1.64/60 footer.(p275-60r-15's).

I would like to know too!

I was just thinking why am I not in the 12s. I am at 3k on car weight. I have 225/55/17s which is almost the same as my 26" slicks. I also have 3:27.1 and powertrax locker..

I know I can blow in to the 12s with the slicks but with 225s Daily driver street tires would make it much cooler.

Any Ideas?

wagon has run some fantastic times on some skinny white wall radials. Maybe he'll chime in and tell you his secrets.

The best I have ran with a real street tire is 12.07 with a 1.83 60ft. That's on PepBoys Futura's 255/50's. The track was well prepped for the next days big event.

justabuickv6 said:
The best I have ran with a real street tire is 12.07 with a 1.83 60ft. That's on PepBoys Futura's 255/50's. The track was well prepped for the next days big event.

I second the Pepboy futuras.... I have run 1/8th times that would put me solidly in the 11s on some 275 futuras.

Pronto said:
wagon has run some fantastic times on some skinny white wall radials. Maybe he'll chime in and tell you his secrets.

No secrets.
Magic.
See the sig.

I might be able to hit 11s if they would just prep the track right before I run. :D Problem with street tires is, as the track prep goes away, so do your 60s. Without good 60s, you're not going 11s unless you have a lot of HP.

I think Patrick Rubio (used to be with PTE) went 11.35 i forgot the mph. This was on a real street tire not a drag radial. But this was a 9.70-9.80 car on slicks. It was a charcoal grey TR!

Time in sig. Nitto's though. Stock longblock and downpipe. If the track has some cooler temps and no headwind sometime close to winter, should go 11.4-5 @ 119+

Now , if we are talking Drag Radials I have done 6.77 @ 102.7mph

does that count?? hey it's a radial!!! :D

Peterkin great times. What turbo, psi and any head work?

I hope to get high 11's with 295/50/15's, alky and my TA49 pushing around 23psi.

I am sure you can fit a 305 to 285 tire back there but the 16 inch rim is probably killing your 60ft a tad due to the smaller sidewall. There is someone with 305's on 16 inch rims on the OTHER board http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30182&page=1&pp=15

All you need to do is roll the fender lip and find a good street radial to slap in there.

It took some practice but I managed some mid 1.6 short times on a true 275/60 bfg ta. The car ran 7.30's 1/8 mile at those 60's so it would be well into the 11's. I couldn't put any more power in it or it would spin badly when the boost came all the way in. An electronic boost controller would be a good thing to have if you race on true radials so that you can set the ramp speed on the boost.

Dusty Bradford said:
It took some practice but I managed some mid 1.6 short times on a true 275/60 bfg ta. The car ran 7.30's 1/8 mile at those 60's so it would be well into the 11's. I couldn't put any more power in it or it would spin badly when the boost came all the way in. An electronic boost controller would be a good thing to have if you race on true radials so that you can set the ramp speed on the boost.

1.6 shorts on a regular radials, :confused: thats unreal, whats your secret? who needs slicks or drag radials with those numbers. very impressive

I wish I new what the secret was. The car was a 6.6 @103 car on 33# and C16. I just got bored and started playing on real radials to see what I could do. I could only run 22 psi or it would kill the tires when the boost came in. I just kept trying different boost launches and finally got it figured out. With 30psi in the tires I could leave on 2# of boost and I guess the combination just worked well together. It took the q trim 66 with .85 housing a little while to spool so it was perfect for true radials. I had good rear control arms with adjustable uppers and 90/10's in the front with moroso drag springs. It would 60' in the 1.49-1.52 range on 275/50 dr's.

A freind of mine always ran on real radials. It was a 6.90 car on good gas and slicks but with the boost turned down he could go low-mid 1.7's on true radials. His car had all stock suspension with nothing but a pass. airbag.

We did notice a difference in track nights also. These times only happened on good nights when a lot of slick tired cars were running. If you have a track where you have a lot of imports or radial tire cars tearing the track up then it's harder to get the good 60's. Most of my times were in the high 1.7 range with a handful of 1.6's.