1980 buick 231 hot air turbo non sfi crank and piston question.

kad5118

This is whats going on.I have currently gathering parts for my 1980 hot air turbo 3.8 motor rebuild.I plan on being in the power levels on 400hp or 450hp power levels with this rebuild.now what i want to know is how much power can the hot air buick pistons and crank handle,I am not trying to buy a different crank and forge pistons unless its needed inorder to support the horsepower levels safely.

Here are the parts below that I already had from a diffent project and brought off ebay.this is a blow through intercoler setup.
  • ebay turbo buick exhaust v6 manifold with t3 adapter.
  • stock gnx intercooler with 6' electric fan.
  • reworkd oil pumpcam is to be determine maybe stock.
  • holset hc1e turbo older version of the hx40 turbo.
  • holley dominator intake(ported)
  • stock heads reworked with sbc Valve Springs 550 Lift Seat pressure is 110lbs @ 1.750", open pressure 325lbs @ 1.200". Coil bind at 1.15". Free height of 2.035".
  • pro jay intake elbow with 8 injector bosses 8 21 pounds stock L98 injectors stock 90mm mustang throttle body.
  • thrust accel dfi ecu,wire harness.
  • ls1 maf sensor.
  • mallory ignitionbox,remote igniton coil and new distributor.
will the pistons and crank from this stock 1980 hot air turbo block hold up to these power levels.Any feed back will be greatly appreciated

They will live up to your power goals as long as you don't let the engine detonate and they gave not been previously abused hard.

You have "non SFI" in the subject. I don't believe there is any significant difference in the crank & pistons between the 86/87 and earlier motor. They all have the rolled fillet crank and turbo specific pistons.

You have "non SFI" in the subject. I don't believe there is any significant difference in the crank & pistons between the 86/87 and earlier motor. They all have the rolled fillet crank and turbo specific pistons.

Ok well thats great to know because you really dont hear much about the 1980 hot air motors normal you hear about the 1983 and later engines.I just wanted to make sure that I address every possible thing about this build as far as weakness with the motor.

How many pounds of boost can these stock pistions take before they become damaged or gernade in these engines.I understand the detonation rule as far as how it can destroy a turbo engine if not tuned right or running too lean.Im asking because of the nature of my turbo im wanting to run 20 psi of boost.

If it's a stock turbo you'll have problems running 20 psi. It's a bottle neck and 20 psi is really ambitious to say the least.

Charlie the OP is building a blowthrough setup. Throw that draw through tech out lol. Personally I've ran an '83 stock block a bit over 20psi for awhile but then cracked a piston however the engine has been severely beat on with detonation too. My current blowthru engine is a stock '85 140 casting block, and it has seen over 30psi many times. Same piston design but better shape engine. So as long as your tune is good 20psi is ok on stock '80 turbo pistons.

well no its not the stock grandnational turbo its a holset whc1 turbo which really isnt more than a 7 blade hx35.They say the sweet spot for these turbos are seen when the turbo is ran between 15 to 40 psi.Alot of dsm cars like the dodge lasers and eagle talons run this thing at 20 to 40 psi and they are make great number.Not to mention that these are 4 cyclinder motors.One would think that such a turbo should good our buick turbo motors.I ended up getting a new turbo vs the one i got listed from ebay for only 103.98 came off of a dodge ram motor.Its a step smaller than the original turbo but net more powerful than the stock turbo that comes on this setup.

That's on a stock turbo that's been machined for larger impellers. It lags a little more and is harder to build boost on the line.

I'll be interested to here how your's performs. I have a HX35 on my truck and will likely upgrade it one day. Maybe blow thru is in my future. :)