You can type here any text you want

1984 Buick Regal..350 Swap

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Deykno

I just purchased a 84 buick regal limited, Im looking to swap a Chevy 350 engine into it that has around 275-300 hp. But im kind of new to the game so could someone school me on which year and make of cars to look in for the motor im looking for, also what will all be needed for swap thanks

Find a Buick 350 and its nearly plug-n-play. I did it in an 81 Regal. Piece O cake.

I just purchased a 84 buick regal limited, Im looking to swap a Chevy 350 engine into it that has around 275-300 hp. But im kind of new to the game so could someone school me on which year and make of cars to look in for the motor im looking for, also what will all be needed for swap thanks

Congrats on the PURCHASE.

We did same with my Son's 85 Monte. Took the 305 out & put in a 350.

We went with a 1982 Chevy 350 4 bolt main truck motor..
It slips my mind as to why we made sure it was an 80's block.. Maybe starter location or motor mounts? a monte forum might shed light on it.

We bought an aftermarket HEI distributor because the computer controlled unit won't work. Same for Carb buy a Aftermarket Electric choke carb. the factory Computer carb will not run proper.

It was overall pretty simple father/son project to do with a 15 year old kid.

If you are going to go with DUAL exhuast, buy the aftermarket trans crossmember with 2 notches for pipes on each side.. Or custom make one with a fab shop.

That 300 hp motor you will need to have a fresher trans that can handle it. although we ran my son's stock trans for about 3 years before it crapped out. My son's engine we pegged at 225/240HP it ran 14.8

What are your plans to get the 300HP? NOS? You are looking at a 13 or 14second ride depending on what you have for rear end.

First question is what engine does it have in it now. If it doesn't have one in it what the VIN say it's suposed to have in it?

First off you want to at least try to find a decent LT based/ Vortec motor. Preferably a roller motor. Look for 90's chevy trucks and SUV's with V8's with centerbolt valve covers, or look at the intake manifold and if the center two bolts that bolt on to the head on either side bolt straight down(not at any angle) voila, you found yourself a vortec motor. Some of them will have 5.7 stamp on the block and some you will need to run the casting #. Once you have found yourself a decent motor (junyards will usually let them go for between $500 or $1000, dont pay more) then you will need to buy motor mounts from a 1985 monte carlo ss with a 305, g-body SBC swap headers and take it from there. With a decent 350 vortec a cam swap, a decent intake manifold and a decent 650 double pumper you can squeeze 350hp and still have room for a little improvement(nitrous). I have done many SBC g-body swaps and they are no that hard to do. Just do it right the first time. If you have a little more $ to spend, look into doing an LS swap instead. You can find a decent LQ4 or LQ9 out of an Escalade and those will give you 400hp easily with the right cam/intake/converter combo. I did a swap in a 1987 cutlass with a LQ9 with nitrous for less than $3000 everything included and the car ran 10.45 on the bottle all day long and was a daily driver with A/C. I hope this helps...

For an SBC swap you will also need a trans that will bolt up, a radiator and depending on what engine you have now in your car, coil springs. Good thing is pointed out a Monte Carlo SS RWD uses the same parts you'd need to do the SBC swap into your Regal. Also just my 2 cents if you're going to do an SBC swap, look for a 400 SBC and drop it in.

Back