You can type here any text you want

1984 GNs with V8 engines on Ebay

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Its kind of funny how both of those cars were bought with the V-8's already installed. If you cant figure out how to fix them than stuff a Chevy in it. Any idiot can do it. Its a shame. Those look like really clean cars.

I kick myself that I sold off my Chevrolet V8 parts collection.

I imagine you could build a strong 355 4bolt main motor for less than the cost of a prepped steel cap/girdled Buick V6. I see the Turbo systems on Ebay going for dirt cheap too (The piping is probably made in China) and for alot less than they used to be offered for... quality concerns?

The whole point of a Grand National is that its a 6 cylinder, hence the Turbo 6. Putting in a V8 is blasphemous. Those cars are a disgrace to all real t-Types and Grand Nationals and should be put back to original or junked... dont call it a grand national. its now a REGAL.. Just my .02

You purists that think the car stops running because it no longer has a V6 motor are in for a rude awakening... the parts are running out unless you are willing to build a 4.1 motor... or buy an aftermarket block.

The lacking parts situation will become more apparent in 10 years as the prices start to climb and we all fight over what is left.

How many in here have had their cars sitting for over two years?

My two cents...

The only V8 i would consider putting in would be the Buick 455. But id shave the badges and wouldnt dare call it a grand national. Id probably paint it yellow or something.:biggrin:

I agree, overall, parts are getting harder to find, and that is to be expected, considering our cars are over 20 years old. But dont give up and throw a V8 in it! :wink: j/k do what you want, its your car :cool:

its sad to see more and more v8's going into the buicks but its nice to see the clean setups people come up with. Mr. Hartline just did a V8 in his buick with a huge turbo and its by far one of the cleanest v8 setups i have seen. not only is it a clean setup but its fast as hell. there are lot of TB guys making huge #'s out of these V8's with huge turbos.

Thanks Roy. The biggest reason I swapped to a V8 was to use the GN as a testbed for the drivetrain. I plan on putting evrything in a new Camaro when they are released. It is my hope to have everything sorted out, so I can just drop a proven combination into the Camaro and try and be one of the first guys on the block to hit the 7's with one. I am sure I will run into many problems along the way.
Once the Camaro is running, I plan on slapping a stroked 109 in the GN and taking it back to street/strip use.

I have never encouraged anyone else to swap to a V8. Although, once you start running deep in the 8's it starts to become more appealing. Of course, all the internet BS makes the decision easier, too.

The whole point of a Grand National is that its a 6 cylinder, hence the Turbo 6. Putting in a V8 is blasphemous. Those cars are a disgrace to all real t-Types and Grand Nationals and should be put back to original or junked... dont call it a grand national. its now a REGAL.. Just my .02

Couldnt have said it better my self....:smile:

For awhile I had been thinkign about doing the switch.

But realized it would just be cheaper, initially anyway, to buy a Regal and do the swap that way. Since Regal's are basically a dime a dozen on Ebaymotors. (Trust me, I've looked hundreds of times, I know what I'm talking about here)

Also, is it 'wrong' to replace your Grand National's engine with an aftermarket V6? It remains a Buick Grand National right?... Right?! *Nervous* :)

As long as its a buick 3.8 or 4.1 motor, and you have a turbo crank. Having a NA 3.8 block is OK. The casting is different than a 109 block, but it'll work just fine. Using anything else is blasphemous. :wink: :biggrin:

I kick myself that I sold off my Chevrolet V8 parts collection.

I imagine you could build a strong 355 4bolt main motor for less than the cost of a prepped steel cap/girdled Buick V6. I see the Turbo systems on Ebay going for dirt cheap too (The piping is probably made in China) and for alot less than they used to be offered for... quality concerns?

To all of you who just dont get it. A TR has all the good stuff from the get go. If you cant get either a HA or IC car into the 12's with just the basic bolt ons than maybe you should move on to something you really dont understand either, like a NA V-8. I dare you to show me how much cheaper it is to build a SBC of the same power level as any turbo V-6.

Thats the beauty of these cars. For next to nothing you got a state of the art package. All you have to do is add some brains and some bolts on to go fast.

Any monkey can drop in a SBC and go fast. Just ask Bubba and Cooter the next time you're at the circle track. BTW those cars dont look any faster than a stock TR. Thats what the thread is about.:mad:

I guess it depends on what you consider fast. About the only stock part I had on my V6 was the crank sensor :biggrin:

The 2 cars listed.....

... the first one does not look like an 84. Front seats were replaced but it does not have the leather rear seats and black carpeting. The second one is a clean car, but if you are going to restore it, do it right. If tah car is worth 6600 (current bid) then a real clean 84 original car should be worth 2x that.

my 2 cents

Any monkey can drop in a SBC and go fast. Just ask Bubba and Cooter the next time you're at the circle track. BTW those cars dont look any faster than a stock TR. Thats what the thread is about.:mad:

Listen...Cooter may not be the brightest crayon in the box, but he did a hell of a job with the General Lee! :biggrin:

Couldn't say it any better myself Terry. But I just say go ahead, put that Chevy V8 in your GN because it just makes mine that much more valuable. It's hard to get a $3000 bid on Ebay for a swapped V8 GN or T on Ebay. What's that tell you!!! ;)
Ken B.

Back