1993 Chevy 454SS

454 CI for a whole 225 hp or something like that

you could tinker with the TBI unit and make your hair grey, or, swap out to a carb, and do the cam and all the other bolt ons

How can you really tell if it's a real 454ss?

Just the engine?

The car has no badges. The owner said it's a reg. silverado but it has the Indy pace car sticker on the door, it's black and a red interior, I think I recall seeing a different engine in there not the 5.7 engine

TURBOV6 said:
How can you really tell if it's a real 454ss?

Just the engine?

The car has no badges. The owner said it's a reg. silverado but it has the Indy pace car sticker on the door, it's black and a red interior, I think I recall seeing a different engine in there not the 5.7 engine
I haad a 454SS and it didnt have any door badges or Indy emblems :eek:

the 454 SS had no chrome, 454SS badges on the rear of the pickup bed on each side and had chrome wheels with a blacked out grill and red bowtie. chevy also may have made a similar pickup that was an indy pace truck i believe. it had a 350 in it and looked similar to the 454SS. i've seen it before but not 100% sure it was factory.

Those trucks are about 250 HP but almost 500 ft/lbs of TQ. It's set up for working. A very cool truck IMO

Pablo said:
454 CI for a whole 225 hp or something like that

you could tinker with the TBI unit and make your hair grey, or, swap out to a carb, and do the cam and all the other bolt ons

And we mustn't forget, it still gets a whole 10mpg.

Jackson, I have a GM VIN decoder at work and I can tell you if it is an original 454 truck (on Monday). There may also be a options tag on the glovebox door.

gofstbuick said:
And we mustn't forget, it still gets a whole 10mpg.

Jackson, I have a GM VIN decoder at work and I can tell you if it is an original 454 truck (on Monday). There may also be a options tag on the glovebox door.

Thanks everyone and Joe.

Come to find out it's not a SS. It's a 93 C-500 indy pace truck, I swear it was a SS. Suppose to be rare and the blue book is work over $9k. Don't know if I am going to buy it now but thanks for the info!

There is a guy locally that has been trimming down his car collection.He recently sold an SS454 truck w/ 9k miles on it. :eek:

GN FAN said:
the 454 SS had no chrome, 454SS badges on the rear of the pickup bed on each side and had chrome wheels with a blacked out grill and red bowtie. chevy also may have made a similar pickup that was an indy pace truck i believe. it had a 350 in it and looked similar to the 454SS. i've seen it before but not 100% sure it was factory.

I had two buddies that thse trucks. One had a 1993 454SS and the other had an Indy pace truck. The 454SS was different because it had a strip theat ran from the headlight along the body line back to the 454SS sticker. The only other one I saw with this option was the magazine test truck.

My other buddy has the Indy pace truck. It should look just like the 93 Indy pace Camaro. Black on the top and white on the bottom with the four different colored strips in the middle. The made two versions. One had stock suspension with aluminum wheels. The other was basically the same as a 454SS but it had a 350 in it. They had the handling package and chrome wheels. They are the rare ones. He was told by dealership that they were only making a 100 or so (If I remember right) with the handling package. He's only seen one other with the handling package since 1993. This one had a lot of drivers signatures from the race on it. The owner of this one also confirmed the low production numbers.

The worst part of all was the 454 was only 1 to 2 cars faster when they raced. :confused:

The 1990 to 1993 Chevy 454SS trucks were the only way you could get a 454 in a 1/2 ton chassis. The last year GM put a 454 in the 1/2 ton chassis was 1976 and by shear coincidence was also rated at 220HP. On the bright side the 350 was only 190-200HP depending on where you look. Torque is where its at! All used the 9.50 ring gear for the axle with the 1990 using the THM400 with a 3.73 gear and the 1991-93 using the new 4L80E with a 4.10 axle. I'm not 100% for sure but I think posi was standard with the 4.10's. All the trucks came with chrome plate steel rally wheels. Alloys were not an option. In 1990 and 91 black was the only color. You could get black,white and red in 92 and 93. The eight character of the VIN will be the letter "N" which designates the 454 and the 6th character will be the number 1 which designates a 1/2 ton chassis. The only other trucks you could order the 454 in were the 3500 series one-tons and the 2500 Suburban. All years came with black body side moldings with a red 1500 emblem in the door molding and 454SS decals on the box sides.90 and 91 used a block style graphic and the 92 and 93 used a splash graphic. All had painted bumpers and grilles and used the turbo diesel front bumper with fog lamps mounted below in a special air deflector on the 90-91's and the fog lamps mounted in the bumper air inlets on the 92-93's. There were other 1/2 ton trucks built in these years with a sport appearance package. The main difference being that you could get any engine but the 454 and the moldings had a red stripe painted on them with the "sport" decals on the box sides. In 1993 there was a special Indy truck made to match the 1993 Z/28 pace car. These were only available as a 1/2 ton short box fleetside with a standard cab. All were a special two tone with a black upper and mid section with a lower white section and special 4 color pace car graphics seperating the two colors. No 454 versions of the Indy trucks were made.Also, GMC did not get a version because they got the Syclone and Typhoon. From a performance perspective the 92 and 93's would be the better choice as the power was bumped to 250 mainly due to a less restrictive dual exhaust system. As with any Chevy the modifaction potential is endless.