2002 ls1 ss camaro got the smack down

WICKEDGN

I CANT LIVE WITHOUT BOOST
well it was test n tune night here in vegas good wether good everything as i would say. well it was my last run around 11:30 pm there was this old guy shecking out my car he told me wanna run i was like what you got he was like well something faster than your stock car a ls1 ss i was like oh really so i was all pumped up but calm. so my buddys said get his ass so we line up ha big burn out by the ss i lowered my tire press 16 lbs. nice little burn out for me. im staged alreaady about 5 to 6 lbs. of boost then sundenly i heard the anouncer say (watch how hard this ss launches) so i said it's on baby!!!!!!!!!!! tree light's up catch a .5 light to his hahaha .9 it was like he was standing still on the line from what i wa told was about 3 car lengths but he was gaining on me but by the time he try too my winners light came up.

dont know what happen but i musta graved him off the line because my 14.1 beat his 13.9 so i feel great i even heard some guys tell me that i won them some cash so another smack down goes down for the turbo buick's.:D :D :D :D

my best et was 13.9@96mph with a 1.9 60 foot i think theres something wrong but again i dont have a scan master to check on it.

yeah 36# chip that came with it and a 108, and a thrasher, that came with the car but dont know how they work so i should be ordering some new ones soon since i dont now nothing about the current ones i have.

Don't get too excited. Either this guy didn't know how to drive and had a ton of wheelspin or you didn't identify the car correctly. 2002's can run 12's off the showroom floor.

Originally posted by tekprodave
2002's can run 12's off the showroom floor.

Very few. As in all production cars, some are faster than others. Many LS1s, especially automatics are in the mid 13s, some even barely break into the 13s. Only a small percentage break into the 12s. Most that do have mods. The only stock LS1 that ran 12s was the one featured in GMHTP. They even felt the car was a ringer and in subsequent test, haven't been able to find a customer car (vs. ringer press pool car) to do the same feat. The '02 that was purchased from dealer stock that they tested ran high 13s. :rolleyes: GM loves sending ringers to the ragazine writers so that they get favorable press reviews. :rolleyes:

2002's can run 12's off the showroom floor.

not in the sh!tty air and altitude in vegas.

fwiw,there was a brand new zo6 at the vegas meet last year running low 13's:eek: .it was a new car,i talked to the driver and he said he was still getting used to it,but the fact remains that anything can happen.

later,sean

Well it was a ss next to me at the line and proud to have beaten one guess i goot lucky but ill take the win in my book.

Originally posted by WICKEDGN
Well it was a ss next to me at the line and proud to have beaten one guess i goot lucky but ill take the win in my book.

There is more pride to be had by proving you are a better driver than having a faster machine. You drilled him at the tree and that is what the game is all about. ;)

Originally posted by Joe 1320
There is more pride to be had by proving you are a better driver than having a faster machine. You drilled him at the tree and that is what the game is all about. ;)

Well said. It's much more fun beating a faster car by out driving them. BTW that's what bracket racing is all about.

Originally posted by Joe 1320
Very few. As in all production cars, some are faster than others. Many LS1s, especially automatics are in the mid 13s, some even barely break into the 13s. Only a small percentage break into the 12s. Most that do have mods. The only stock LS1 that ran 12s was the one featured in GMHTP. They even felt the car was a ringer and in subsequent test, haven't been able to find a customer car (vs. ringer press pool car) to do the same feat. The '02 that was purchased from dealer stock that they tested ran high 13s. :rolleyes: GM loves sending ringers to the ragazine writers so that they get favorable press reviews. :rolleyes:

I know of 2 in Sacramento. Both are 6-sp. The best of which is a WS6 that has hit 12.7's bone stock. Put a high stall converter and 373's in the A4 cars and they are good for 12's also.

BTW here is the Sig for the WS6 which is actually an 2001 model:

Best ET (bonestock): 12.66 Best MPH: 111.98 Best 60': 1.967
2001 dyno: 316 rwhp 330 rwtq - bonestock
2002 dyno: 327.1 rwhp 343.2 rwtq - bonestock
w/borrowed lid: 337.7 rwhp 351.7 rwtq
Winner GM West Coast Shootout - Stock Radial Tire class, 2002

The "Lid" is an intake mod.

BTW here is the Sig for the WS6 which is actually an 2001 model:

Best ET (bonestock): 12.66 Best MPH: 111.98 Best 60': 1.967
2001 dyno: 316 rwhp 330 rwtq - bonestock
2002 dyno: 327.1 rwhp 343.2 rwtq - bonestock
w/borrowed lid: 337.7 rwhp 351.7 rwtq
Winner GM West Coast Shootout - Stock Radial Tire class, 2002

The "Lid" is an intake mod.

Highly abnormal. Down here in Florida (basically at sea level), people would be saying BS on the car being stock. One guy down here was claiming stock and was running virtually the same times. Turns out that a "Sneaky Pete" was uncovered when a friend ratted on him. There are dozens of LS1s at the tracks that take lids, headers, cat backs, etc... to run 111+ mph. If those guys actually ARE stock, they are one of the lucky ones. My WS6 is one of the faster LT1s and runs 105 with basic bolt ons with an A4 and converter. I seem to run 3-4 MPH faster than most of the LT1s of like mods. I tend to run about the same 1/4 as a stock LS1 automatic. :D For whatever reason, the car is an LT1 jewel. It does feel like a sloth compared to the GN though. ;)

The 01 & 02 LS1's are impressive bonestock. With the LS6 intake and truck cam, which come with the car, they have a big advantage over the previous years. I have seen many go 13.1-12.7 bonestock and 12.5-12.6 with just a couple mods. At Sac raceway the air is dry and maybe they run a tenth or two faster out here. I don't really believe in "ringer" cars. Some people just do the right mods and some don't. My car is the fastest "untouched LT1" car that I know of but it's mainly because I took 400lbs out of the car not because it's a "ringer" of some kind. I think I might be able to do some 11's because I still have the stock throttle body and I'm planing some other mods like roller rockers, electric water pump, LT1 edit tuning, and more wight reduction from fiberglass hood and other pieces. My current best of 12.4 in my sig is on a slipping tranny. My car is not a "ringer". I'm just doing the right mods. :cool: I have found that LT1 cars respond really well to weight reduction. :D :D