You can type here any text you want

2004r HELP and ?s

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tattoochucky

tattoochucky
Hey guys, i have a 63 nova that i put a 2004r in, it has a 10 inch 26-28000 lock up converter and is supposed to be built to hold 800 hp. It was built by a company that i will not name, only because they are still trying to help me. First off i paid $4,000 for the trans and converter 4 years ago which i found out now should of cost about $3,500. I have been building the car for the past five years every tuesday long days 10 to 15 hours a shot, learning a lot, getting frusterated, but i will succed in my goal, which is to have a car i can drive every day and run a 12 sec qrter mile. The trans guys talk a good game but i have found them to not deliver, i finnaly got the car on the road, maybe have 1500 miles on the trans it has a 350 hp motor and 2nd gear goes out,the warrenty is 12,000miles or 2 years, i call the company and tell them look i know its out of warrenty by time but i only have 1500 miles on the trans, they agreed to warrenty it, so i ship it back they tell me it had to strong of a spring on a valve and they replaced it with a weaker spring problem solved they put a new alto red band in it evry thing else was fine, dyno tested it, sent it back.They said i didt need a deep pan but, I put it back in put a deep pan and 700r4 filter, it took 9 qrts to get it to the full line when hot cruised the car around a little, trans worked good, good to go right! Wrong drove it to work the next day got on it 1-2 no 2nd gear did the same thing it did when i sent it to them .When i first bought the trans i asked them is there any special brackets i should buy for the tv cable they said no use your old set up, luckly i talk to art car and he sent me a corection bracket and the right carb bracket for corect geometry, 4 years later they ask me if i have the correction braket.Now i have a trans guy willing to help me and work with the company, they said the seals on there billet servo have been shrinking over time and causing 2nd gear to malfunction so they tell us put in a servo 694 gn , and if i cant get that one put in a 692 servo, i cant find one so i got them to send me one i told them i want the good servo 694 and they send me a 692 what a suprise , i learne d that the 692 is for light duty v8 applications and the 694 is good to about 450hp any advice would help,so we put it in checked to make sure it has band engagement it does test drive it no 2nd gear, my trans guy said its in the valve body, so now they are going to send me a valve body, but said he doesnt have one and he will have to build one and dyno test it and cant get it to me for a week and a half, even though they are selling there trans for a ungodly amount of money, my trans guy said it takes a couple of hours to build a valve body and install it, all i can do is bight my tounge because i dont want to spend the money for parts. I am going to put in a 500hp motor next and i am already worried, i bought a trans for 800 hp so when i put 500 hp to it i can beat the snot out of it and not worry, so now i have been told by other builders that if you beat on the 2004r drag race it with slicks it will last abought 20,000 miles be for you have to pull it and put new clutches and soft parts in it, and others say it will fail. What is the real deal on these trans i know some guys are running in the 9 sec with them, i just want to run a 12 sec, but how often do you have to screw with this thing, any info on anyones experience with this trans with 450+hp would be appreciated, please give me some hope that this trans is every thing they told me it is it, took me 2 years to save for this trans!

PM me the builder.
I have an idea who it is.

Lots of vendors make big promises but only a few can deliver with the 200-4R.

450 HP isn't a problem.

You have either a servo issue, servo pin length, broken or misaligned anchor pin, or band lugs broken off.

The problem is your builder cannot get this right. 450HP with a 200r4 is not a problem. My car makes about 500HP, and my EA Stage 1 has been living for the last 2 years.
I would say that your band is obviously junk. Everything the last poster posted is dead on. Since this is a reocurring problem, I would also check into you 2nd gear accumulator. If it leaks, thats your problem. I have seen builders use the wrong teflon seal in the rebuild kit, bad wore out pistons, or a flat out bad accumulator.
Also, if your TV adjustment was off, or they used the wrong spring it will usually always burn the forward and direct clutches.

Hey guys, i have a 63 nova that i put a 2004r in, it has a 10 inch 26-28000 lock up converter and is supposed to be built to hold 800 hp. It was built by a company that i will not name, only because they are still trying to help me. First off i paid $4,000 for the trans and converter 4 years ago which i found out now should of cost about $3,500. I have been building the car for the past five years every tuesday long days 10 to 15 hours a shot, learning a lot, getting frusterated, but i will succed in my goal, which is to have a car i can drive every day and run a 12 sec qrter mile. The trans guys talk a good game but i have found them to not deliver, i finnaly got the car on the road, maybe have 1500 miles on the trans it has a 350 hp motor and 2nd gear goes out,the warrenty is 12,000miles or 2 years, i call the company and tell them look i know its out of warrenty by time but i only have 1500 miles on the trans, they agreed to warrenty it, so i ship it back they tell me it had to strong of a spring on a valve and they replaced it with a weaker spring problem solved they put a new alto red band in it evry thing else was fine, dyno tested it, sent it back.They said i didt need a deep pan but, I put it back in put a deep pan and 700r4 filter, it took 9 qrts to get it to the full line when hot cruised the car around a little, trans worked good, good to go right! Wrong drove it to work the next day got on it 1-2 no 2nd gear did the same thing it did when i sent it to them .When i first bought the trans i asked them is there any special brackets i should buy for the tv cable they said no use your old set up, luckly i talk to art car and he sent me a corection bracket and the right carb bracket for corect geometry, 4 years later they ask me if i have the correction braket.Now i have a trans guy willing to help me and work with the company, they said the seals on there billet servo have been shrinking over time and causing 2nd gear to malfunction so they tell us put in a servo 694 gn , and if i cant get that one put in a 692 servo, i cant find one so i got them to send me one i told them i want the good servo 694 and they send me a 692 what a suprise , i learne d that the 692 is for light duty v8 applications and the 694 is good to about 450hp any advice would help,so we put it in checked to make sure it has band engagement it does test drive it no 2nd gear, my trans guy said its in the valve body, so now they are going to send me a valve body, but said he doesnt have one and he will have to build one and dyno test it and cant get it to me for a week and a half, even though they are selling there trans for a ungodly amount of money, my trans guy said it takes a couple of hours to build a valve body and install it, all i can do is bight my tounge because i dont want to spend the money for parts. I am going to put in a 500hp motor next and i am already worried, i bought a trans for 800 hp so when i put 500 hp to it i can beat the snot out of it and not worry, so now i have been told by other builders that if you beat on the 2004r drag race it with slicks it will last abought 20,000 miles be for you have to pull it and put new clutches and soft parts in it, and others say it will fail. What is the real deal on these trans i know some guys are running in the 9 sec with them, i just want to run a 12 sec, but how often do you have to screw with this thing, any info on anyones experience with this trans with 500+hp would be appreciated, please give me some hope that this trans is every thing they told me it is it, took me 2 years to save for this trans!
I forgot to say that after not getting 2nd gear we drove the car around down shifted from 3 to 2 and still no 2nd gear, so it has nothing to do with the tv cable, but drove around some more and got 2nd gear, so i asume thats how my trans guy said its in the valve body.

Back