You can type here any text you want

2004r problems

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

svoteam

hey guys this is my first thread, here is my problem. i have a monte ss with a 2004r that when i first start it up i will leave from 1st gear like it supposed to do but when i drive around for a while and i come to a stop like a redlight or whatever it will take off in 2nd ?? what do you guys think:confused:

Years ago my daily driver did this after i had a trans with some metal go thru it.

Simple fix

Pull the gear selector back to first, you actually move the sticky valve, and it will eventually get the tiny amount of debris out.

After a few times that trans fixed that issue, never had any more issues after manually pulling it a few times, drove it for 40K.

This new trans does it too, i actually have to stop at a stop sign longer to get it to engage by its self.
You might have to pull the pan if you had alot of metal go thru and clean the valve body, or just manually shift it for awhile and see if the issue goes away.

BW

thanks i am gona try that next time i am in the car, dont get me wrong the car is an animal but i hate when when i smash the gas and it just dont feel right

Go out and grab the TV cable and pull it out and let it pop back about 20 times in a row (dont break it tho). TV valve in the VB could be sticking.

Also when was the last time you had a fluid change/looked in the pan?

You sure it ain't just a bad lockup solenoid that's leaving the converter locked up, thus making it feel like it is starting in 2nd but is actually starting in 1st with the converter locked?

You sure it ain't just a bad lockup solenoid that's leaving the converter locked up, thus making it feel like it is starting in 2nd but is actually starting in 1st with the converter locked?

there is no LU in first gear .. I actually agree with Chris :eek: "Believe it or not ,excessive base adjustment will cause 2nd gear starts" ..

The lockup uses 2nd signal oil and would kill the engine if locked in first (stuck valve) since there is no electrical signal to lock it in first gear.

its not the lockup i no that for sure, i have a manual lockup setup. it doesnt always do it, when i first start it up it will takeoff in first but when i drive around and then come to a stop light stop wait a sec give it gas it will be in 2nd i know this because i came to a stop gave her gas and then downshifted to 1st and there is was

there is no LU in first gear .. I actually agree with Chris :eek: "Believe it or not ,excessive base adjustment will cause 2nd gear starts" ..

do you think it is to much or to little adjustment the reson im asking is i using 1 of the universal cables cut to fit with the geo corrector on a holley

do you think it is to much or to little adjustment the reson im asking is i using 1 of the universal cables cut to fit with the geo corrector on a holley

don't know what to tell ya.. I did a 1970 455 Olds wagon a year or to ago with a GN 200R4.. I used the stock TV cable and it worked out fine :cool:

Back