You can type here any text you want

2004r Shifter Shaft Seal Leaking ... Bought Tool to Remove But Doesn't fit ... help.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tim_in_NC

Hi Guys ...

My 2004R didn't come out of a Buick ... I can't recall what it came out of but it was an earlier year car ...

The tool that I purchase was the GM universal shift shaft seal remover tool with the threaded end that inserts b/n the shaft and the seal and then a bolt that screws into the end and pops the seal free ... and then you simply tap in a new seal ...

Well, I went to remove the seal and noticed the tool will not fit over the shaft. It seems that the shaft OD is just large enough to prevent the tool from fitting over ...

Have any of you ran into this problem before? and is there a proper tool available?

Thanks,
TIM

Hi Guys ...

My 2004R didn't come out of a Buick ... I can't recall what it came out of but it was an earlier year car ...

The tool that I purchase was the GM universal shift shaft seal remover tool with the threaded end that inserts b/n the shaft and the seal and then a bolt that screws into the end and pops the seal free ... and then you simply tap in a new seal ...

Well, I went to remove the seal and noticed the tool will not fit over the shaft. It seems that the shaft OD is just large enough to prevent the tool from fitting over ...

Have any of you ran into this problem before? and is there a proper tool available?

Thanks,
TIM

why don't you just drop the pan, remove the shaft and pry the seal out with a screwdriver and pop the new one in with a socket of the right size------really pretty simple...........RC

I'll will if needed ... just thought this would be even easier, if I had the correct tool ...

Any tips when removing the shaft ... anything to look out for ... dos ... don'ts, etc ...

Thanks!

The shaft is probably flaired out where the linkage is held into place. Take a file and make sure it is round instead of "ovaled" and the tool should fit right over it and thread into the seal to remove.

The shaft is probably flaired out where the linkage is held into place. Take a file and make sure it is round instead of "ovaled" and the tool should fit right over it and thread into the seal to remove.

Good idea Gneric ... I'll give that a shot before I drop the pan ...

I was able to get mine out with a packing tool. It looks like a stubby screwdriver with a tapered spiral-threaded end. I screwed it into the seal and gave it a pry...

Back