200R-4 Short shifting

TURBO2

Years back I bought a PATC Raptor 200R-4 to replace the transmission in my 1986 GN. Before I bought it I had asked them multiple times if this was an exact replacement with no modifications necessary and they said it was. After being installed the mechanic said that there was an extra wire with no where to hook it up (auto OD) so right away being manual OD this was NOT a direct fit. To make matters worse the transmission would short shift at only about 3500 - 4000 RPM under full throttle. Under part throttle it would shift through the gears and be in drive by 35 MPH. PATC sent me a new governor and it made no change. My mechanic also adjusted the TV cable which only made a minor improvement. Due to other problems with the car and health problems the car has sat with limited use. I'm trying to get it ready for this summer but I have no clue how to go about getting a new auto OD valve body and governor that will match up with PATC's set up. PATC has been no help saying they don't carry these valve bodies.

Do you still have the original trans for the car? Because what you need is the original BR code valve body and governor. If you have the original trans, your best bet is to get it rebuilt by a known knowledgeable builder and sell the PATC unit. Second best scenario if you don’t have the original core is to find a BR valve body and governor and swap it in to your patc trans. Sounds like you need the wiring and plug too but the wiring harness can be built and the plug is available new.

It’s short shifting because the valve land diameters in other valve bodies are different than the turbo Buick BR code and there’s not many easy ways around that. Some codes of valve bodies are worse than others and you wouldn’t necessarily have to have a BR if you have to go hunting valve bodies

I still have the original Transmission, but I doubt I can afford a performance rebuild. I guess I will have to try swapping out the original valve body and governor and see what happens. I'm not sure what the Raptor has for a shift kit in it, and before the original tranny blew a shift kit was put into it. Will there be problems with the two matching up?

If you’d like I can private message you my phone number and can help you when you decide to do the swap. Use the separator plate that’s already in the trans. In fact if you don’t tear the gasket you likely won’t need to drop the accumulators and plate at all. We can check a couple of the valves in the both valve bodies and get you set up. Also use the wiring and plug out of the BR code core.

Getting your original trans built properly and back in the car is still probably a better idea but I understand if the money isn’t there it isn’t there.

Where you located?

Also I’d remove and inspect the existing valve body in the raptor trans before I ever touched the core. Could have a goofy TV pressure setup that’s intended for v8 or God knows what and could be made much better without cannibalizing the valuable BR F code core you have

The two people closest to you are Dave Husek in New York and Brian Bisonette who I believe is in CT. Both are probably driving distance for you and either can build you a fine unit to handle your goals.

Dave’s username is Dave Husek and his company is turbo Buick performance and Brian’s username is Bison and his company is Bison’s performance