You can type here any text you want

218/218 Switch or not to switch

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ryan

CEO/Founder Nakslist.com
Many folks tell me that my 218/218 cam will not last very long. The car seems to run well with this cam. Don't want to loose any performance. What would be a good replacement? Should I go roller? What size? The car is not a daily driver. More of a weekend warrior.

Setup:
4.1 girdled
Aluminum Champion heads
70 Turbo
50 lbs inj
3" THDP and Headers
3.5" maf
Precision FMIC
TH400 switch pitch 4500 stall

Your cam is fine.. ;) The only thing I can see being a problem is the 50's your using.:rolleyes: You have a bottom 10sec/ high 9sec combo, and only enough injector for low elevens/ high tens..
whats up with that?:confused:

matt

I posted a question about what injectors I should upgrade to and was told, by many folks, to stick with the 50s. Would like to up the injectors but never did get a recomendation. I have an extra low impedence ecm and was gonna move up to the larger squirters.

You need 72 # injectors. 50 's are not enough trust me. 218 cam should last as long as any other flat tappet cam.

I would stay with the 218 cam its a very good cam:)
I also agree with the injectors I'd use the 83s and go with a double pumper system or bigger fuel pump:)

I'm curious as to why people told you it wouldn't last? Flat tappet cam is a flat tappet cam. How many here are using the original cam in their cars?
Stick with it and just to 72s!

Originally posted by Ryan
Many folks tell me that my 218/218 cam will not last very long. The car seems to run well with this cam. Don't want to loose any performance. What would be a good replacement? Should I go roller? What size? The car is not a daily driver. More of a weekend warrior.

Setup:
4.1 girdled
Aluminum Champion heads
70 Turbo
50 lbs inj
3" THDP and Headers
3.5" maf
Precision FMIC
TH400 switch pitch 4500 stall

HOLY COW you are using 50 lb injectors with that combo??? definitely go with at LEAST 72's...probably would be better to go with 83's...wow i was running 50 lb injectors with a te-44 turbo and STOCK 3.8 motor and was pushing them hard:eek: you must be running like a 150% DC!

Looking for an easy consistant mid 10s. Will see if anyone localy are running 72# or 83# so I can borrow some chips. Would like to install my METCO "spare tire well" fuel cell. Who makes double pumper FPs.

RYAN-
email eric marshall-
his combo also is a 4.1 motor,70 turbo,83s or 72s, he has gone low 11s at 125 on pumgas and alky...
i know eric has been swapping back and forth between the 2 sizes of injectors, so he might have the drivability answers you are looking for...

How do you like your switch pitch? ive always wanted to convert one of mine over to that setup... whos convertor did you go with?
BW

PS eric runs a turbo 350, so you both have no overdrive combos

BW

Do you have his email address? The switch pitch is cool. I like the ability to turn off the stall and use is as a 1500 converter.

Double Pump

50#ers are more then enough, They will take you to at least 128mph. I would definetly go with a double pumper. I wish i would've gone dual pumps before i went up on injectors first.

his email is

eric@turbotweak.com

i had 50's on my 4.1 with heads, front mount,te45a,ect and the injectors were maxed out at 19psi !!! the injectors were static and the maf was locked at 255 all she would do is 119 with a nonlockup convertor-
i would definitely upgrade injectors before you get serious about turning the wick up on that combo

BW

I run PTE's 218 GEN II cam (218/222) and 72# injectors with a MaxEffort-R thumbwheel.

At 20psi boost my single 340 is NOT enough.

At 20psi boost my single 340 is NOT enough. [/B][/QUOTE]

Banning, have you upgraded your fuel system yet, if so, what were the upgrades?

HellOnWheels

Re: Double Pump

Originally posted by SPOOLN
50#ers are more then enough, They will take you to at least 128mph. I would definetly go with a double pumper. I wish i would've gone dual pumps before i went up on injectors first.

This could be true or false. It depends on how much hp you want to make. I had almost the same setup only in a 3.8 and went 10.80@123 range. At that level the 50# injectors were at their limit.

I would go with 83#ers. I have MSD 72# ers now and they are getting close to their limit at my hp level. there is no downsides going to the 83s vs the 72 so you might as well go with the larger injectors.

Originally posted by HellOnWheels

Banning, have you upgraded your fuel system yet, if so, what were the upgrades?

HellOnWheels

I have a single EXTERNAL bosch puller pump on a separate feed going into the tank. I have enough fuel WITH that second pump turned on, but not enough without it (just the single 340 running). This pump was on the car when I bought it. Surely a leftover from back in the day (fenderwell was also cut out for a dump :) ).

P.S. I'm still running stock lines to the rail.

-Banning.

Think I'll go with a double pumper and some 83s. There seems to bee a couple of sales going on for the holidays. Is there anything special about installing the double pumper? Is is a plug and play deal?

Have seen an injector install kit for sale. What is needed to install?

Back