You can type here any text you want

28" Drag Radial Times

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

flipmo

"Come Correct - Boosted"
Guys, anyone have any idea what are some of the fastest time(s) with a 28" drag radial? At what E.T would you consider going to a 30" tire?

I figure the 28" tire is good for knee deep in the 9s, but if the motor can support all-day 8-second passes, should you actually run at least a 30" tire?

flip

That would depend on what type of electronic boost control you have rather than the potential e.t. With an AMS 1000 you could go really fast if you had the engine. Your always better building the car around the tire. Taller and wider the better. Then gear the car accordingly based on the tire height and intended mph.

That would depend on what type of electronic boost control you have rather than the potential e.t. With an AMS 1000 you could go really fast if you had the engine. Your always better building the car around the tire. Taller and wider the better. Then gear the car accordingly based on the tire height and intended mph.

Bison, thanks for the response as I'm just looking for suggestions. The Boost Controller would be an AMS 1000 with 3.42s and spool but I figured the 28" inchers eventually would peak at some point and like you said, the taller and wider, probably the better for long term. That's if you plan to go even faster.

Hmmmmmm?:confused:

Thanks

flip

Bison, thanks for the response as I'm just looking for suggestions. The Boost Controller would be an AMS 1000 with 3.42s and spool but I figured the 28" inchers eventually would peak at some point and like you said, the taller and wider, probably the better for long term. That's if you plan to go even faster.

Hmmmmmm?:confused:

Thanks

flip
Its really hard to say with any cerainty how fast you could go. They are going so damn fast on these now. You would probably have up to a 3 second delay in a low 8 second car. I know a TSO racer who uses them and has it all in before the 60' believe it or not. You will eventually reach a point of diminishing return though. Mph will go up but the hit will be soft down low to avoid blowing the tires off.

Its really hard to say with any cerainty how fast you could go. They are going so damn fast on these now. You would probably have up to a 3 second delay in a low 8 second car. I know a TSO racer who uses them and has it all in before the 60' believe it or not. You will eventually reach a point of diminishing return though. Mph will go up but the hit will be soft down low to avoid blowing the tires off.

Thanks Bison. The 325/50/15s to me, sound like the ticket. Had them on a previous 10-second GN I bought, but 10-seconds is 10-seconds is 10-seconds. I was thinking for sure when you start busting low-9s and dipping into the 8s, a 30" tire would work best. But I see that may or may not be the case since we already have some TSO guys knocking on the high-7.99s door with a 28" tire.

Good Education In Tires - :cool: ;) :biggrin:

flip

Frame notch it and slap in a 315/60/15 MT ET Street Radial, that's a Shaq tire!!

I've got a frame notch connection out here in IL doing mine this month, PM me if interested.

Frame notch it and slap in a 315/60/15 MT ET Street Radial, that's a Shaq tire!!

I've got a frame notch connection out here in IL doing mine this month, PM me if interested.

Have the room to play with and the only difference between the 325/50/15 and 315/60/15 on basically a 10" wheel is that one is 28" x 13.50 and the other is 30" x 13.50.

That 315/60/15 is a lotttttttttt of beef on the rears and to give up 2" in overall diameter I'm sure has somewhat an effect on launch (thinking negatively) and overall mph (thinking positively). Where is the common ground here or having one advantage over the other somehow offsets? Dang, I never put so much effort into deciding upon a tire - Geeeee!!!!

Am I right or wrong in my thought processing?

flip

I believe Dave Fiscus has been 8.30's on the M/T 325/50/15 tire and Dusty Bradford has been 5.05 @147mph in the 1/8 mile on the 325 so I'd venture to say you don't need the 315's.

I believe Dave Fiscus has been 8.30's on the M/T 325/50/15 tire and Dusty Bradford has been 5.05 @147mph in the 1/8 mile on the 325 so I'd venture to say you don't need the 315's.

Yep - Proven Performance! ;) I'm Convinced!

flip

325/50 only a 1.34 60' but ran 5.05 at 147.....for comparison my 7.77 pass was only a 5.12.

Radials will not be as good on a hot track as a slick. When we race in a local class that allows slicks we have a hard time competing on summer time tracks with the radial.

The radials are not easy to run on. It's a fine line between tire spin and shake with the 325's. Put the power to them and see how it does.

Attachments

• March_28-30_2008_127.jpg
    March_28-30_2008_127.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 280
325/50 only a 1.34 60' but ran 5.05 at 147.....for comparison my 7.77 pass was only a 5.12.

Radials will not be as good on a hot track as a slick. When we race in a local class that allows slicks we have a hard time competing on summer time tracks with the radial.

The radials are not easy to run on. It's a fine line between tire spin and shake with the 325's. Put the power to them and see how it does.

Your grille collapsing 7 second passes:biggrin: .

Lookin Good Dusty. Though, those are some killer times with the DRs.

You guys are getting faster and faster :cool:.

By any chance does anyone have any record of a low-mid 9-second or faster pass on a 275/60/15 drag radial? Just wondering.

flip

Actually the record on a 275/60 M/T radial is 7.66:eek: It's held by a Mustang who set it at a race in Vegas early this year. It's a black coupe that looks like a 10 second car. It's a small block ford with a Procharger F2. I think he went high 4.9 to the 1/8 at 3200-3300#.

Guys, how do you control wheel spin when running drag radials on those 10 or 9 second cars? Is it just the huge width of the tire that you're running? I don't understand why those are being run vs slicks. I'm running 275 50 15's in the high 11's and I can't launch beyond 2 pounds of boost without it spinning the tires. Trying to figure out how you're doing it...or if I need to upgrade to slicks. I'd appreciate feedback on why, or what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Actually the record on a 275/60 M/T radial is 7.66:eek: It's held by a Mustang who set it at a race in Vegas early this year. It's a black coupe that looks like a 10 second car. It's a small block ford with a Procharger F2. I think he went high 4.9 to the 1/8 at 3200-3300#.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Now that is asinine - Did I spell that right?

Guys, how do you control wheel spin when running drag radials on those 10 or 9 second cars? Is it just the huge width of the tire that you're running? I don't understand why those are being run vs slicks. I'm running 275 50 15's in the high 11's and I can't launch beyond 2 pounds of boost without it spinning the tires. Trying to figure out how you're doing it...or if I need to upgrade to slicks. I'd appreciate feedback on why, or what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Ryan, I know how you feel man because I basically did some extensive research over the last couple of days trying to decide upon a tire, the right tire, size, height, width, proven performance, tractionability, blah blah blah blah. Personally, I think a lot of things have to come into play when determining traction. For one, how could or bad the track is I'm sure has to be 50% of tractionability. Launching has a whole lot to do with tire pressure, quality of the tire, are the tires heated up good, are you in or out of the sweet spot for a launch, and so on.

But, these guys are cutting 1.5s, 1.4s, 1.3s 60ft all day long. My personal best 60ft was 1.56 60ft and that's with the E-Brake slammed to the floor.

Good luck finding the "TRUE ANSWER".

flip

Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts. I don't have much time under my belt at the dragstrip. The tires are new, I had the psi down to 18, hr rear bar, air bags. Maybe it was the track. I'll try lowering the pressure a bit more. Just thought maybe there was something that I was missing...have a good weekend.

Launching on a radial also has a lot to do with launch rpm and power availability. You can get one to hook but still spin 30 feet out of the hole becuase you don't have enough power to keep the tire planted.

Instant center and pinion angle is critical to how hard you hit the tire initially. It takes hrs of track time and video taping so you can analyze the car and suspension to see what the car needs.

Some cars are better off running a slick if the track is marginal or very hot.

Launching on a radial also has a lot to do with launch rpm and power availability. You can get one to hook but still spin 30 feet out of the hole becuase you don't have enough power to keep the tire planted.

Instant center and pinion angle is critical to how hard you hit the tire initially. It takes hrs of track time and video taping so you can analyze the car and suspension to see what the car needs.

I think your winow tint is illegal Mister.:eek: ;)

Car looks good Dusty....leaves HARD!

I appreciate the response from someone that is very knowledgeable in this sport. I'm sure I don't have close to the power that you do. I've got a 3200 stall converter, so I would think this would help it to leave hard. You're over my head on the instant center and pinion angle, though i understand your logic. When I left with 5 lbs I had a 2.1 or 2.2 60 ft. When I backed it down to 2 lbs I was in the high 1.7's. Thanks again.

Back