You can type here any text you want

3.8 stroker or 4.1 stroker?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

6togo

I am going to start a engine build very soon but i am undecided on using my 109 block with a stroker kit or finding a 4.1 to stroke. I am shooting for a low 10 motor build with roller cam if that makes a big difference it will be mostly a weekend cruiser with some track time once in a while atleast until i get kicked! Which block should i use and which will hold up best?
Chris

ithink a stock block with a stock crank and rods will live at that power level, but more displacement means that it won't be working as hard to make that power and it will have better torque for regular driving when not on the boost..
so i say go as big as you can afford.

I know its going to cost some $$$ and i dont plan on cheaping out on anything and i think apples to apples it will cost about the same to build either motor correctly that is! I just want one that will stay together!
Chris

Don't we all!!

Ill call a few different good engine builders and see what they got lying around. Sometimes they have engines ready to go.

I was also reading a about the 4.1 blocks almost always having cracks do these turn into issues i know some run them even cracked?
Chris

I was also reading a about the 4.1 blocks almost always having cracks do these turn into issues i know some run them even cracked?
Chris

I have built a few low 10 sec. 4.1 engines and never had an issue with the blocks? :confused:

A 4.1 stock stroke will give you more low end torque than a stroked 3.8, and better all-around street performance.

A stroker crank may be your first problem, as all the vendors I know do not have any available except the TA billet crank.?

So the stroker crank is different for the 4.1 I thought only the pistons were different? So it would be a good build for my needs with some extra low end from the added CI's will theses 4.1's stroked hold up well and I know that's a loaded question but based on the 109 block?
Chris

Do you have a real world comparison on the pistons or just speculating cause I ve seen the cost about the same on je s, diamonds etc.

Do you have a real world comparison on the pistons or just speculating cause I ve seen the cost about the same on je s, diamonds etc.

I forgot what I paid for mine but I do remember wondering why they were so much more than the 3.8s. Sorry about the vagueness of my statements but when it comes to the money I've spent on V-6 parts the fogginess of those memories it is what allows me to keep my sanity. It may have been that 3.8s were on the shelf and ready to go but the 4.1 had to be custom made or special ordered or whatever they say when they want to jack the price up your arse.

I was just going to say that, off the shelf 3.8 pistons can be bought for $50. If you custom order than the price is basically the same for both. My diamonds cost a good chunk for my 4.1. JE only makes custom order 4.1's, I believe.

Where can I get off the shelf forged pistons for $50.- I ll buy 10 sets! My 4.00" diamonds were only alittle more than the 3.820" diamond s I bought for my last engine.

It all depends on how many changes to the shelf piston there is. Compression height, dish cc, diameter, coatings, there are other options for a stronger high horsepower pistons.

Around $50. Each -the last set of TRWS I had was around $250. Set.so diamonds are around $80-$100. Each.

I have been seeing prices on forged pistons from $500-800 range so they are probably in line with the 3.8's just a matter of the options!
Chris

Custom Pistons

A custom piston will cost you around $110 each. It usually doesn't make any difference what size bore or dimensions you need.

There are lots of vendors such as Diamond, CP, JE, Ross etc that can make what you need.

The 4.1 production block have thinner deck surfaces that often make it difficult to keep head gaskets sealed. Early on, Buick had lots of headgasket issues on Production 4.1's.

So from the sound of that the 109 wins in that area! but i still see allot of
4.1's being run just how long they will stay running is the big ? How about the SG1 block i see one for sale are they 3.8 specs?
Chris

Back