You can type here any text you want

3 Dot Rods, How Strong?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dr_frankenstein

Mad Scientist
So I know the 2 dot rods are the ones that are good and great, but im beginning to run low on them.

I have boxes of 3 dot rods and I cant see any difference between the 2 except the number of dots.

Is there any data or proof, or even someone heard from there sisters best friends cousin, that the 3 dot rods are weak. Ive been on the search button for the last 2 days to no avail.

Anybody?

:biggrin: A.j.

I've got a set of 2 dot's if you need them Aj. they're out of a 4.1 and right now I've more rods than engines. They're gonna need resizing but they shouldn't be cracked or anything.

So I know the 2 dot rods are the ones that are good and great, but im beginning to run low on them.

I have boxes of 3 dot rods and I cant see any difference between the 2 except the number of dots.

Is there any data or proof, or even someone heard from there sisters best friends cousin, that the 3 dot rods are weak. Ive been on the search button for the last 2 days to no avail.

Anybody?

check the length to see if there is a difference...I think the 3 dots are shorter,but not sure..

I've got a set of 2 dot's if you need them Aj. they're out of a 4.1 and right now I've more rods than engines. They're gonna need resizing but they shouldn't be cracked or anything.

Thanks Charlie,
I have 2 dot sets for the motors that count, so im not hurting for any -

well ive been doing some testing now, and I lost another NA motor yesterday to a failed couple of valve springs. the bottom end looked real heathy when pulled apart and it made me wonder if the 3 dots are just as strong? One of the 109 "core" turbo motors I got some time ago had 3 dot rods in it so somebody thought they were OK for use.... I just wonder who decided that 2 dots were better than 3! I havent found any proof to support the theory!

check the length to see if there is a difference...I think the 3 dots are shorter,but not sure..

I asked the wife, she said its ok to go with a shorter rod:eek: ;)

Are the rods really shorter? Hmm....destroked turbo 3.8 anyone:biggrin:

measure them carefully-------three dots are slightly shorter for sure-------my recollection is its in the .015" range..........RC

dropping a set of each at the machine shop today for a double check. I do have crooked eyeballs!~

Thank you A2000RICH.

perhaps if a set of 3 dots were given the cryo treatment they would certainly have to be better than 2 dots.

I also have a good set of 2 dot rods out of a NA 4.1 block if anyone needs them.

Back