4.1 stock block build

that's the plan, unless we have something unforeseen happen (we know how that works) we should be there

We really just wanted to have a place to test new idea and products. This 4.1 piston now gives us a shelf option. We have some new thoughts on cams and combos with some new turbos that will be coming available and we need to showcase those items. Plus I missed having a toy o_O

Love this thread should be a great motor, but where are the 4.1 blocks I only spotted 1 in a year.

I just bought 3 watch the for sale section and make a request in the parts wanted. They are not too hard to find if you look

We had the GN1 KB style headers on and Archie asked me to test fit a set of his SE headers. They fit very well, valve covers fit and the way the crossover goes behind the starter is how all headers for this car should be built. Easy access and won't cook the starter. I know a few guys have jumped on the anti GN1 Chinese header thing but these headers work well. SO well I welded a PTE 66MM gate to them and will use these first, then the others to back to back them, then a 4 bolt set up which is what I really want anyway. The 3.5" downpipe without gate I also bought from GN1, it fits pretty well but since it was made for the KB header it swings way out toward the fenderwell. Every downpipe bigger than 2 1/2" ever made for the KB / ATR style header hits the fenderwell or is close enough to melt it, even the original Terry Houston so this was no surprise. In a late night decision fueled by cloudy thought and crashing caffeine I cut it into a few pieces and moved it around to get it away from the fenderwell. The no so good quality welds we did show how tired we were but it is where I want it now. If I had a chance to make that decision again I would have left it alone. This is my experience here and it is the truth, anyone is welcome to check out the car to verify, please keep the negative posts to your build thread and I won't muck yours up. Pictures later today

It sounds like they got it started, I am excited to hear Mike's update tomorrow.

Yes John and all we did fire it last night about 9PM, we had an electrical problem which was really a ground where I forgot to scrape of the new paint. After that when I turned the key I got no SES light or pump prime. Tried another ECM same thing, after an hour or so of poking around with a volt meter I pulled the dash cover to find the SES light burnt out, DUH! Still no prime, changed the relay, no prime, had and another old relay put it in and everything worked. Key the key and it fired up. This motor is VERY responsive, sounds good. We have some details to button up today and will hopefully take it for a ride in a few hours if that goes well off to the dream cruse tonight. Pictures and stuff later
Mike

Me too. I bought this car as a roller with no harness, we built the motor and put it together in 9 weeks or so. I have no idea how it is going to dive or the real condition of the brakes, ect. I have to hang the exhaust and test drive it, then we will know if it will make an appearance.

well, the car got him to the Moose Preserve meet this evening. Hopefully it got him home.

Looked to be a nice build.

Bob

We got home just fine, the motor runs fantastic, it has exceeded my expectation so far. The cam is perfect for me, the turbo spools better than expected. At 15 PSI it hit pretty hard, 6PSI of the trans brake was very fun. We got the car done at 5PM and drove across town to the Buick Turbo club gathering with no test drive or anything. This may not have been my best decision ever but it worked. The chassis needs some work, the Aerospace brakes moved the front wheels out enough that they hit the wheelwell on bumps making the car have a mind of its own for a second, we bought it that way, now we will fix it and the chassis part of this build will start. I will start a thread on that where we can discuss the options and I will show what I am doing to make this one work on the street and track. In the end we will do a dragstrip video. I am an open book on this project

It is update time : We have been driving and tuning a bit. It pulls like a freight train, I could not be happier with the outcome. I have a some suspension issues and bugs to work out but needed to take a break to work on some customer items. It had about 100 miles or so on it. Being that this is an ongoing project we are going to make a few changes already. I recently got some short travel Morel lifters that we did not have when this was built. I have decided to put a set in my motor and try more valve spring. I am not having any real problems now but I want to know if there is more on the table and how these lifters will work with "too much" spring. Frankly the motor is quiet and super smooth, I HATE to take it apart but in the interest of moving forward which is what this is all about, we are doing it.

Steve I am very happy with the dual bb unit from Comp Turbo. It is the best of both worlds, spools up really quick and I have not found the top end on it yet. I am only running 21 psi, when it cools off I might experiment with 25 and 26 and see what thats like. Twin scroll housing could be interesting too.

All my race cars over the years have had 4 bolts. There is a VERY strong 66MM wheel out there that we are going to try with a bigger turbine, a split scroll housing and a spool valve. This 66 supports more airflow than the 71 billet compressor around now. The 74 is fun once it gets going but it is lazy for a driver, off the trans brake it is brutal
Mike