4" MAF sensor/ MAF pipe

It has nothing to do with the chip in the ECM but it is a "new" mass air sensor so the Translator software must be upgraded with the data for the new sensor which is different than the sensors we use now. They are so different that it wil not run well without the new software
Mike

Do you have any pictures installed?

I would like to potentially combine it with the tail end of my current bigmouth kit that has the 3-1/2" to 4" adaptor after the MAF (I guess this would not be needed)... then has a 4" rubber 90 then short 4" nipple with 4" K&N.

I would also need the upgrade for my old translator (6.22?)

I also have the big mouth kit and let me tell you it does not fit with this pipe!
You may have to trim the 45* turn coming up around behind the dr. side.

I had to buy a new K@N @ the Nats just to use the pipe only to find out the chip "then" would not work with my set up. Hopefully Bob will have the chips for the translator series box's perfected here soon.

I'm running an Eric Marshall chip with the translator. It works fine with the LS1 MAF meter.... just looking for less restriction.

I'd somehow like a good looking kit that uses Mike's MAF pipe but gets the air from outside the engine compartment.

I also have the big mouth kit and let me tell you it does not fit with this pipe!
You may have to trim the 45* turn coming up around behind the dr. side.

I had to buy a new K@N @ the Nats just to use the pipe only to find out the chip "then" would not work with my set up. Hopefully Bob will have the chips for the translator series box's perfected here soon.

Would be nice if he just sold the sensor WITHOUT the pipe.:smile: Would make life easier for a lot of people.

The sensor is a GM sensor . Looks just like the one on my 06 Duramax, I am sure they can bought @ dealer.

Unfortunatly the pipe becomes an important part of the sensor and the calibration is based on this pipe and this sensor as a combo. The same sensor in a different pipe will run radicially different, much leaner or much richer depending on how the air is "seen" by the element. Part of the delays were getting the calibration right with a production pipe the prototype where the bend was different and the insertion depth was different ran completely different. It is a common GM sensor but just sticking it in a pipe will not work well. The translator software is based on the flow data from this pipe. I am working on a fresh air kit to work with it but even that may require a software upgrade for the translator we will see when that happens.
Mike

Unfortunatly the pipe becomes an important part of the sensor and the calibration is based on this pipe and this sensor as a combo. The same sensor in a different pipe will run radicially different, much leaner or much richer depending on how the air is "seen" by the element. Part of the delays were getting the calibration right with a production pipe the prototype where the bend was different and the insertion depth was different ran completely different. It is a common GM sensor but just sticking it in a pipe will not work well. The translator software is based on the flow data from this pipe. I am working on a fresh air kit to work with it but even that may require a software upgrade for the translator we will see when that happens.
Mike

So are you saying that if I bought your pipe and hacked off both sides so
I could run a heat resistant 4'' hose on each side of the MAF that the sensor wouldn't work? :confused:

pretty much, it will for sure make it idle bad and run either rich or lean. Plus ther would be no performance advantage in doing that either.
Mike

it is not chrome it is polished aluminum. The air moves through the pipe so fast the transfer of heat is very small. It is in the pipe for less than half a second and most of the air does not touch the pipe. You could always have it HPC coated if you were that worried but I would not waste my money.
Mike

do we have a price yet????

I think that I am going to need one of these so let me know the price and when I can order one.

Thanks
Boostbrother

I was 2 seconds away from buying one in BG but I just didn't. Let me know when You have more for sale ;)

So are these pipes basically calibrated jsut to have a K&N on the end or will a CAI throw the calibration off. I know you said here "MIKE" that the length of the pipe is part of the calibration !

A CAI will throw the cal off on ANY MAF ON ATHE MARKET. Even puting one on a stock car will cause the BL or fuel trims to change. The question is how much and can you tune it out. If the base calibration is pretty tight you should have no problem tuning it out with a Gen 2 translator. Even a regular translator may be able to do it. There is a possability that it wil need no tuning but that is small. OUr chips have block learn tuning that will also work
Mike