You can type here any text you want

45deg and 65 deg advance timing???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Black Power

I put a timing light on the Buick today and it showed 45 degrees advance at idle and 65ish degrees at about 3k rpm.

How in the world is this possible and what could be the problem? It runs like complete garbage.

Has a TT chip and it runs the same with that chip as it does my old chip (so it's not the chip causing it).

Chuck is right on the money. Depending on the timing light, the wastespark will cause it to read double.

Waste spark????????

I realize these things have the waste spark, so is that going to cause it to read exactly double?

what problems are you having?
ML

It had a fairly rough idle (4.1L with only a 212/212 cam), it cuts out at about 43-4500 rpm under WOT revving in neutral. When it's under load it is just flat out SLOW. Spools slow, and when the boost comes in it's still slow. Sometime it shows like 15 counts of knock on the scanmaster, but it's spraying alky while this is happening.

All in all, it's a lot slower than when I bought it stock. It would probably run a 15 or 16 even though it has a 4.1 and a 6776bb turbo. I am about to burn this car to the ground.

Chuck is right on the money. Depending on the timing light, the wastespark will cause it to read double.

Cal, you said depending on the timing light...

Which type of timing light would read double, and which would not?

I highly doubt that timing or chip is your problem, to many folks running the same chips that do not have issues. Do you have a scan tool like a PowerLogger where you can post up a log so we cn see what is going on and hopefully help you. SOme details about the build up may help. The no rev over 4300 would point me at secondary ignition or valve springs to start
Mike

The issue with the timing lights is only on the 'dialback' style. What kind of light do you have?

a missing or broken key in the crankshaft would do it.. or a really messed up balancer.

Have you run a compression test? Might be worth doing.

Bob

I highly doubt that timing or chip is your problem, to many folks running the same chips that do not have issues. Do you have a scan tool like a PowerLogger where you can post up a log so we cn see what is going on and hopefully help you. SOme details about the build up may help. The no rev over 4300 would point me at secondary ignition or valve springs to start
Mike

I don't have a PL. That's probably what I am going to have to get to fix this heap.

I can't remember which valve springs are in this thing, but I am pretty sure they are stout enough to keep the valves from floating.

It's an 8.75:1 4.1L (nonturbo block) with a 212/212 flat tappet comp cam, 6776 turbo, 50# injectors, TT chip, new wires and plugs (I have tried 3 different types of plugs, they all run the same) gapped at .025. The issue isn't boost related, I can adjust the wastegate to make almost no boost and it runs like garbage then as well. I have a wideband in it but it's hard to watch the scanmaster, wideband, and keep it on the road :p.

If you rev it up slowly, it will rev to 6k. Only when you go wot really fast is when it cuts out. It runs better at 3/4 throttle than full. I have tested the tps and it's working fine.

The issue with the timing lights is only on the 'dialback' style. What kind of light do you have?

a missing or broken key in the crankshaft would do it.. or a really messed up balancer.

Have you run a compression test? Might be worth doing.

Bob

Bob, what do you mean 'dialback' style?

The crankshaft is keyed, and the balancer is the same one I ran on the last motor and it worked fine.

could the cam be mistimed?

B

You don't mean the cam sensor, you mean the cam installed incorrectly? The cam was put in with the dots pointing at each other, so it's in there right.

do a compression test and post the results. That can tell more about the cam install, it is very possible to be a tooth off which would cause some of these issues. Where are you located at?
ML

I'll do that next time I am near the car. It's at a shop 45 miles away.

I am in Amarillo TX.

Back