480le Trans

stage274

I was just informed that the 480le gm truck trans can handle 900+ horse power, has any one had any experiance with this trans, I am sure you can put a jw bell housing on it , so it can fit are motors.

The 4L80E is that tough...You must have the electronic controller to run it which costs around 700 bux. With that you can control shift points, firmness, T/C lockup,etc...I remember an article in a magazine a few years backof a Buick with the swap. Downsides are: there are no readily available transbrakes for them, a 4L80 core is around a grand if you can find them, cost to build, and they weigh alot. We just did the swap on a twin turbo vette. After having the trans built and buying the controller we had just under 5 grand in the swap....Car hasn't gone any faster yet, but has gone 130mph in the 1/4 on radials with the converter locked down. 5mph higher than with the 700R in it. Pretty impressive feeling when you lock that converter down..HTH

You pretty much covered all of the negatives about the 4L80-E. Not really ever getting into such a swap as STP mentioned, I wouldn't know the cost involved, but $5K sounds about right. If Overdrive is the reason your seeking the 4L80-E, build a 400 and put in a Gear Vendors overdrive unit, takes some modifying, but I'm pretty sure it'll wind up being cheaper than a built 4L80-E with all the electonics. And the Gear vendor piece has gear splitting too, saw it pick up a few tenths in a mag a few months ago. HTH, good luck

Originally posted by stage274
I was just informed that the 480le gm truck trans can handle 900+ horse power, has any one had any experiance with this trans, I am sure you can put a jw bell housing on it , so it can fit are motors.

You can rig an early GM PCM to control it, and for $300 put together the electronics for it, and that the editor burner harness and pcm. Takes a DIY attitude, Nolan one of the Syty guys is running his E tranny this way.

It is heavy, but from what I hear don't break.

the adjustments that are possible are just amazing with the E series trannies. RPM shift points for each gear, yada yada.

Do tell Bruce.
You have my rapt attention.:D
That's the way I wil be going.
As to a trans brake,I wondered if you could engage the solenoid for the first and reverse gears at the same time for a T-brake?
Bruce ,could you say hi to Wayne and Bob for me.
I e-mailed Wayne but no response yet.
:confused:

You could do that if you wish...Pretty impressive with that converter locked up though. The vette made 150 more hp with it locked. HP jumped to 593hp from 450 with it unlocked. Needless to say we lock it up at 35mph and tell the tranny when to shift. Only problem we're having is that the Electromotive (TEC2) unit's signal is interfering with the controller electronics causing it to think it's turning a certain rpm it really isn't...The controller manufacturer is telling us that Electromotive needs to "clean up" their signal.

wow , 150 more horses, what type of build was on the trans, just good clutches and bands .

I have one of these in my soon to be stage car. Shifts awesome compared to my 2004r. I can't stress how quick my car shifts. And yes.. with full lockup.

One problem that I've "heard" about these is that there can be breakage in it's input shaft too... so I've actually had a billet input shaft made.. ha ha.

I've made some "deals" and am actually in my swap for must less than $5000. Another guy has come before me though in a buick...Tom S.

Transbrake? Got someone kinda working on that for me too.

Yes it's heavier, yes it's less efficient than the 200. But I would put $$ that my GN is one of the nicest shifting automatics out there. Soft off throttle, quick on throttle.

I'd gladly update anyone interested that wants to know how my car turns out with the stage.

John

Not rich.. just resourceful and ask nicely.

I have a guy in Oklahoma that can build these if anyone is interested. Garanteed to be better than the "brand names". We are getting very experience between me, a soon to be turbo vette, and soon to be turbo GTO judge.

274, supposedly a stock 4l80E can handle 900ft/lbs. Don't ask me how they figured that out, I don't know : ). As for the buildup I can do some research. A local guy here in Birmingham built the tranny for us. We didn't ask any questions as he's built some for us prior to this one. He specializes in heavy duty truck trannies..HTH

Hey how bout Meany`s corvette 480le with a stock 4.3 torque convertor 10.40s@158 about 1200 horses. Stp you dynoed a twin turbo vette and it only made 593 to the tire i just did a 68 cowmaro with a 23 degree 377 all homemaid stuff a pair of t-66s it made 860 on 93 octane at 14 lbs of boost.The 480le looks like a winner i talked to baughman a few years ago and there where coming out with a programable stand alone brain for about 400 bucks never followed up on it though .

what type of build are were talking about , just high performance clutches and band, or billit parts, or if I find one slap it in and see what happens. I am builing a a 274 , should be around the 1000 horse power range, and it woul be really nice to cruise on the high way with out blocking traffic.

No it's actually Karl Jones Transmissions....Yea Meany's car is impressive no doubt. The car we dynoed is an 87' Vette TPI stock internally except for a nitrous cam. He used to spray it. This kit was homemade as well with JBA headers turned upside down with custom d/p's and intercooler plumbing. The turbos are little hybrids with stock grand national turbine wheels. It needs a turbo upgrade now and possibly a freshen up....Lasted longer than I thought it would to be honest....

A stock 4L80E CAN'T handle 900 ft/lbs! If it could they would put it in the trucks behind the Duramax. Thats why there is the Allison trans in those trucks. It's a killer trans if built and calibrated right!

Scott

Originally posted by The Radius Kid
Do tell Bruce.
You have my rapt attention.:D
That's the way I wil be going.
As to a trans brake,I wondered if you could engage the solenoid for the first and reverse gears at the same time for a T-brake?
Bruce ,could you say hi to Wayne and Bob for me.
I e-mailed Wayne but no response yet.
:confused:

Over on the Sy board is Nolan, and he's been runnning I believe 8625 PCM to control his 80. My 91 Truck uses the 80 and uses the 7060 PCM, and all the tranny stuff is in the Tunercat.com editor. You have to share some signals ie tack, tps, but it's not really too difficult to do.

I just wish the 4l80 had a deeper O.D. It is .87. In applications like the aforementioned, where there's huge tork and steep rear gears, a deeper OD would be better.

Scott,

I don't agree with the rationale that 900ft/lbs is the limit. No proof, but a stock Duramax only makes 520 ft./lbs of torque. Of course GM would change transmissions for a newly packaged truck..... I'm sure that the allison, since it has more gears, is more suited to towing, longevity, and keeping the diesel in the correct RPM range.

As for the 4th gearing, I actually find it much more pleasant than the 2004r. The engine is up a hundred or so RPMS and takes itself out of the drone-ing zone on the highway. I wouldn't see any other reason for a steeper fourth gear except for 200mph cruising. If you want that, put a 2.73 gear in the back and go on.

Stage274, I'm currently using an advanced adapters plate and it works well and is nicely made (thick). My transmission guy has actually gone to the length of welding new bosses on his transmission for a direct pontiac fit.

Transmissions are such a "touchy" subject, I'd advise anyone against the 4l80e to get off this post right now and let the guys who are interested continue the post. Everyone, including myself is going to think their opinion counts.

Thanks,
John