5" Downpipe rules

Mike Licht

I was here first
Copied from the 5" downpipe thread in tech:

>they are legal for TSM at BG.

Is this a BG only thing? When I talked to you guys when we were going to make a part like this over a year ago I was told NO WAY it would be allowed and the rule was even changed to clarify so it could not be used. :confused:
Mike

Mike Licht said:

Is this a BG only thing? When I talked to you guys when we were going to make a part like this over a year ago I was told NO WAY it would be allowed and the rule was even changed to clarify so it could not be used. :confused:
Mike

Yep BG only. Nope rules were not changed to outlaw. No one proposed DP rule before cutoff. Rule has been 3.5 since 2004. Jason is a points racer. He can propose the DP rule and I am sure the other guys will probably not have an issue. But again was never done before rules closed.

I was told at last years nats when i had one on display at my booth at BG
"This year the rules were set and we can't change them to match the G.S.CA but next year no problem" Scott Simpson.
I did not officially submit a change since i thought it would was already going to be done.

I guess i will have to wait another year...

How does one "officially submit a rule change"?

One more question, Once a rule change is submited how do they determine if a rule change needs to be done and is done? is it sent out for a vote from fellow TSM competitors? is it left up to the sponsors of the class? or is it left up to one guy who is also a competitor in the class?

I see some rule changes on this years TSM rules. As a competitor and one of 3 sponsors this is the first time i have heard of any of these.

Seems kind of fishy.

Race Jace said:
One more question, Once a rule change is submited how do they determine if a rule change needs to be done and is done? is it sent out for a vote from fellow TSM competitors? is it left up to the sponsors of the class? or is it left up to one guy who is also a competitor in the class?

I see some rule changes on this years TSM rules. As a competitor and one of 3 sponsors this is the first time i have heard of any of these.

Seems kind of fishy.

Hmmmm. Interesting. I wonder this myself.

Mike Licht said:

Mike

Yes Mike, for the record, you got hosed on that deal from what I saw.

Seems like I ask this every year......But......Why are the rules different for BG than the other 4-5 races?...... :rolleyes:

The 5 inch DP is just another gimmick piece. I ran 9.20's @ 148 with a 3 1/2 DP others have gone mid 8's with the same.

top gun said:
The 5 inch DP is just another gimmick piece. I ran 9.20's @ 148 with a 3 1/2 DP others have gone mid 8's with the same.

E-mail me direct if you would like please.

How do TSM Point Series Rules get altered?

I listen to the racers all year. When someone questions the legality of a part I explain why it is (or is not) legal and keep that in mind when I propose rule clarifications for the next year. My proposals are based on what someone has already brought up.

In years past, I would e-mail those changes to the point series racers for their approval (nothing was ever changed from what was proposed). This year I simply uploaded the proposal for everyone to look at (on T6P.com) and comment thereon. One of the proposed changes was to allow CO2 for boost controllers only, not shifters. The idea was quickly shot down by several people, so I pulled that line and changed it to read "CO2 allowed for wastegate actuator or shifter control"...even though it is already allowed for shifter control by way of the "Any transmission shifter allowed" rule.

top gun said:

Maybe you would go 9.0's with it. Have you tried it to prove it offes no gain? :rolleyes:

Sully

top gun said:
I tried a 6 inch no gain, maybe the 5 would be better.
Dave,

I think you should try a 4.9849674" downpipe and compare to a 5.05253415", maybe it'll prove it to the nay-sayers. :biggrin:

Art.

Scott231 said:
I listen to the racers all year. When someone questions the legality of a part I explain why it is (or is not) legal and keep that in mind when I propose rule clarifications for the next year. My proposals are based on what someone has already brought up.

In years past, I would e-mail those changes to the point series racers for their approval (nothing was ever changed from what was proposed). This year I simply uploaded the proposal for everyone to look at (on T6P.com) and comment thereon. One of the proposed changes was to allow CO2 for boost controllers only, not shifters. The idea was quickly shot down by several people, so I pulled that line and changed it to read "CO2 allowed for wastegate actuator or shifter control"...even though it is already allowed for shifter control by way of the "Any transmission shifter allowed" rule.

can you post a link to that thread for those of us that might not have found one post on one bulletin board on this world wide web?

Scott231 and changed by jason said:
I listen a select few racers all year. When someone questions the legality of a part I explain why it is (or is not) legal and keep that in mind and how it will affect me perosnally as a competitor when I propose rule clarifications for the next year. My proposals are based solely on what myself or one of these select few has already brought up.

Isn't this what you really mean?

The DP rule is clearly stated 3 1/2 max period. There is no reason to change the rule for YOU just because you are a vendor with a new product.

These cars perform very well with a 3 1/2 DP, Scott and Lonnie are doing a great job with the rules not allowing every new part that hits the scene.

The distributor was not a new product that was let in this year. Re read the first few line of the TSM rules, the distributor fits in with the existing rules.

Race Jace said:
Isn't this what you really mean?
No. Please do not change what I said and post it as a direct quote as you did above. That can be misleading to people.

I do not recall discussing this with you at BG this year. I do recall discussing this product with Mike Licht when he came up with the idea (apparently) almost a year before you, but he never produced said product. I heard nothing else of it until you sent me pictures of your prototype (after BG) and I sent you a polite e-mail stating that the product would be illegal for TSM Point Series racing as its rule clearly states 3.5" Max. AND that it would be legal for racing in BG by non-Point Series racers as the GS club's rules clearly state that Any size downpipe is legal.

TSM Point Series racers that follow the TSM Point Series are eligble for payouts from both the GS club and the TSM Point Series. If said racers use a greater-than 3.5" downpipe they are only eligble for the GS club's payout. Racers that are not in the TSM Point Series are thus only eligble for GS club payouts and can follow that club's TSM rules to the T.

Jason please recall who:
  1. Campaigned to change the original TSM turbo rule from 63mm to 70mm?
  2. Campaigned to change the TSM exhaust rule from 3" to 3.5"?
  3. Campaigned to add the "Single drive belt" TSM rule?
IMO, I listened to that "select" racer. :smile: