You can type here any text you want

5658 and 5413 help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1-CLN-GN

I just finished installing some 5658 and 5413 springs in my GN and i am not happy with the results.The front measured 26 3/4" and the rear was 27" with stock springs.Now the front is 27" and the rear is 26 1/2".I was hoping for a 1" drop all the way around.Anybody have any idea what i could have done wrong?Thanks

I just finished installing some 5658 and 5413 springs in my GN and i am not happy with the results.The front measured 26 3/4" and the rear was 27" with stock springs.Now the front is 27" and the rear is 26 1/2".I was hoping for a 1" drop all the way around.Anybody have any idea what i could have done wrong?Thanks

I am running the same springs. My car is 25 1/2 in the front and 26 1/2 in the rear. ( My setup is in my sig ) 235/60/15 tire in front 275/50/15 tire in rear. What is your tire size?

Im thinking that you do not have the front springs up in the pocket all the way or the rubber is jambed up in there wrong. Could also not be setting in the lower arm correct.

The rears however sound right.

Are you running the rubber isolaters in the rear? If you are you could take them out and maybe get an extra 1/4 or so. Airbags in rear?

However I have also been told that the new moog springs are not all created equal anymore and can very a lot.

Have you driven the car? The fronts will need to be broke in. My car wasnt running so I jumped up and down on the front bumper and the car dropped over an inch. Otherwise I would imagine you have and issue as TA49 suggested with the front springs not sitting properly in the perch or on the control arms.

I have 245/40/18 in the front and 275/35/18 in the rear with KYB shocks in all four corners.We checked and made sure that we sat them back the way the stocks where.Could it be that i need let them settle?

They will definately need to settle but another thing to think about is that your stock springs were worn and its very hard to say you are going to get an exact 1" drop because it depends how badly your stocker were worn. But, I do agree, your car is sitting too high, something isnt right. As long as you are 100% postive the rubber isolater is in correctly in the perch and the bottom spring to sitting correctly in the arm, you should be fine after driving the car.

I have 245/40/18 in the front and 275/35/18 in the rear with KYB shocks in all four corners.We checked and made sure that we sat them back the way the stocks where.Could it be that i need let them settle?

Ok your front tires are 25.7 tall and mine are 26.1 tall so thats a two inch diffrence between your car and mine with the same springs. Im leaning toward you don't have them in the pocket. The fronts are a real pain in the a@# to get in there right.

I however agree with jdpolzin on the fact that they need to settle but two inches is a lot. My car settled around a little under 1/3 an inch after 4000 miles.

Your front end measurement sounds too high for 5658s. As advised above, check to make sure they are sitting in there correctly and give them time to settle. If it is too bad where you live to drive your car (winter!), give JDPOLZIN a call as he has the jumping on the front bumper thing down pretty good!!!

Two other thoughts come to mind:

1. You may not have got 5658s.
2. Moog quality control has gone down in the last several years, so the set of springs you got may not be quite up to spec. If the springs don't settle down, talk to whoever you got them through and see if they an get you another set.

Before you do anything, give the springs some time to settle down, as they will drop a bit.

Ok your front tires are 25.7 tall and mine are 26.1 tall so thats a two inch diffrence between your car and mine with the same springs. Im leaning toward you don't have them in the pocket. The fronts are a real pain in the a@# to get in there right.

I however agree with jdpolzin on the fact that they need to settle but two inches is a lot. My car settled around a little under 1/3 an inch after 4000 miles.

You were just doing the same thing I was!! Yep, something isnt right, 2" difference isnt right. I bet the upper part of the spring isnt in there right or the spring isolator is sitting on the perch and not around the perch.

They will definately need to settle but another thing to think about is that your stock springs were worn and its very hard to say you are going to get an exact 1" drop because it depends how badly your stocker were worn. But, I do agree, your car is sitting too high, something isnt right. As long as you are 100% postive the rubber isolater is in correctly in the perch and the bottom spring to sitting correctly in the arm, you should be fine after driving the car.

The isolater never came off when we took the stock springs off and we sat the bottom of the spring in the same location that the stock spring was at.

Your front end measurement sounds too high for 5658s. As advised above, check to make sure they are sitting in there correctly and give them time to settle. If it is too bad where you live to drive your car (winter!), give JDPOLZIN a call as he has the jumping on the front bumper thing down pretty good!!!

Two other thoughts come to mind:

1. You may not have got 5658s.
2. Moog quality control has gone down in the last several years, so the set of springs you got may not be quite up to spec. If the springs don't settle down, talk to whoever you got them through and see if they an get you another set.

Before you do anything, give the springs some time to settle down, as they will drop a bit.

HAHA!!! Yeah dont have too many beers before jumping on the bumper, you just bounce right on your head!! Yeah if you do take them back out, get a new set.

The isolater never came off when we took the stock springs off and we sat the bottom of the spring in the same location that the stock spring was at.

Ok, One thing I make sure of is taking that isolator out of the perch and put them on the spring before installing it. I wrap some electrical tape around it to hold it in place. It will have grooves in it from the old spring. You may be ok, the spring may be sitting on the edges of the grooves and may just need to settle into place. Otherwise, you were sent the wrong springs. I have had 1 other person that was sent the wrong ones.

HAHA!!! Yeah dont have too many beers before jumping on the bumper, you just bounce right on your head!! Yeah if you do take them back out, get a new set.

Thanks for the laugh JD! Getting the ride height where we like it is a pain in the butt. I brought up the possibility of an Air Ride Technology system to my wife but that conversation didn't go that far!

Another thing is, there is a groove in the lower arms for the bottom pigtail, Im assuming your new springs tail is sitting in that groove?

Thanks for the laugh JD! Getting the ride height where we like it is a pain in the butt. I brought up the possibility of an Air Ride Technology system to my wife but that conversation didn't go that far!

Dont do AirRide, if you do it, you know I'm going to have to as well! Just another project we can work together on from across the country!!

Hmmmm? I am going to have to set up the front end on the Regal one of these days!!!!:biggrin:

Yea the bottom pigtails are in the same spot as the stock shocks.

Cool man, can you drive the car or is it snowy out? I would drive it for a while and see what happens. If it doesnt drop, get a new set of 5658's. I have a strange feeling you have the wrong springs.

Cool man, can you drive the car or is it snowy out? I would drive it for a while and see what happens. If it doesnt drop, get a new set of 5658's. I have a strange feeling you have the wrong springs.

Yea i think im goin to give it a week or so to see if they settle if not i will call rockauto and see what they can do or what should i tell them.Is there any way i can tell if the springs i got are not the 5658's?The box and bill both say they are 5658's.

Well like TA49 said, quality control is going down the shoots for MOOG after they shipped their springs over seas. I have talked with a couple different people at RockAuto about this issue. They were completely understanding and they should help you out. No real way to tell on the springs identity other than measuring them while they are out. They unfortunately dont make any marks to identify them.

Just in case if they dont settle down would cutting half a coil help me bring it down or should i just get some Eibach springs?

Just in case if they dont settle down would cutting half a coil help me bring it down or should i just get some Eibach springs?

I hate cutting coils, but since these are not made for this app, I'd cut them. Eibachs are nice, I have had them in a few cars including a T-bird SC it barely lowered, 2 years later it was over 3" lower. They fell apart and sagged like a nursing home bra.

Back