6262 Bb Billet Porting

I thought the factory wastegate soleniod hooked up it would pull boost out if the ecm sees knock, with it disconnected I guess it can do that?

As I understand it.... the wastegate solenoid can only raise boost... not lower it... when functioning by the chip in the ECM.....it pulses the boost to atmosphere.... thereby fooling the wastegate to stay closed a little longer.

That is why the old ATR Pit Bull chips (and others) were able to raise the boost without messing with the wastegate actuator.... they just "pulsed" the wategate solenoid longer and faster....this raised the boost a couple lbs.

Clear as mud?

i came to the conclusion that this NEEDS to done. i 've tried all i know to get the boost down and it ain't gonna happen. i turned the actuator all the way out and all it did my make the boost lazy and still went to atleast 24/25. i pulled it apart to do this using the dye method that shawn mentioned earlier in this post. i have the dye outlined on the turbo but couldn't port it yet due to i can't fit my dermel or die grinder in there. i took two piks of the impression from the dye before porting. i can't get the piks on here but i would email them to a member to view and post on here to give you guys an idea of the amount of material that needs to be removed. i am running a houston dp with internal gate and sure this will vary with different setups. hth tim

Tim if porting the hole dosent work you my need to weld a larger puck in your down pipeand port the hole even larger it worked on a friend of mines car and also got rid of all his boost creep.

Did mine today. Put the turbo in a cardboard box on the workbench after plugging all the places that shavings shouldn't be going and had at it. The box idea works great in confining the shavings from flying all over the place. Mine's at about 1 1/8" and rounded off the inside edges. Since I am running an external gate I also ported out the downpipe flange. No idea when I will be testing it out though as I am still doing a bunch of things and time is scarce lately.:(

Tim if porting the hole dosent work you my need to weld a larger puck in your down pipeand port the hole even larger it worked on a friend of mines car and also got rid of all his boost creep.
ok thanks, hopefully this does the trick:) tim

Did mine today. Put the turbo in a cardboard box on the workbench after plugging all the places that shavings shouldn't be going and had at it. The box idea works great in confining the shavings from flying all over the place. Mine's at about 1 1/8" and rounded off the inside edges. Since I am running an external gate I also ported out the downpipe flange. No idea when I will be testing it out though as I am still doing a bunch of things and time is scarce lately.:(
i'm gonna try do do mine on the car since it already on there. i'm thinkin just shopvac as much as i can out and start it for a sec with the dp off to blow out any shavings left over. tim

When I had a 3" dp with the internal wastegate my boost was all over the place too. Another guy that gets his car worked on at the shop that I take my car to let me use a crossover pipe that he had laying around that had a external deltagate on it that dumped into the atmosphere. Before we put the extra gate on u could hear the one coming from the downpipe sputtering. If I remember right thats what enabled us to get my boost under control.

Funny that you brought this up because a buddy of my gave me this same setup the other day. But I have no clue as how to tie every thing together with both wastegates and boost controler. Do you are anybody else have an idea cause willing to give it a shot. Anything to get my boost under control. Just need a blue print or some kind of guidance.

Thanks in advance

When I had a 3" dp with the internal wastegate my boost was all over the place too. Another guy that gets his car worked on at the shop that I take my car to let me use a crossover pipe that he had laying around that had a external deltagate on it that dumped into the atmosphere. Before we put the extra gate on u could hear the one coming from the downpipe sputtering. If I remember right thats what enabled us to get my boost under control.

Funny that you brought this up because a buddy of my gave me this same setup the other day. But I have no clue as how to tie every thing together with both wastegates and boost controler. Do you are anybody else have an idea cause willing to give it a shot. Anything to get my boost under control. Just need a blue print or some kind of guidance.

Thanks in advance

I know for sure that I didn't have any type of boost controller other than that little knob you spin under the turbo. My people told me all they did was put in on and the boost went from like 20lb. to 13lb.

I see that the waste gate on the crossover pipe has two ports, plus the ports on internal WG and turbo. But I don't know if all this should tie together somehow or what? Any clue?

i ported this yesterday,put the rod on with about1/8 pressure on gate and still 28/29 boost. before i did this my boost was not controllable it came on all at once. now atleast i can roll on the throttle and gradually increase boost. i'm now leanin towards the rjc controller. if anyone has any ideas please chime in. tim

Did you try hooking the stock actuator tuner style? If not, give it a try. Nothing to loose.

i ported this yesterday,put the rod on with about1/8 pressure on gate and still 28/29 boost. before i did this my boost was not controllable it came on all at once. now atleast i can roll on the throttle and gradually increase boost. i'm now leanin towards the rjc controller. if anyone has any ideas please chime in. tim

Are you still using the stock wastegate solenoid?

FWIW.... anything you put in line with the stock wastegate actuator can only raise the boost above what the spring inside the actuator is set to. Anotherwords... since you are at 28+ psi already at your "minimum" boost setting.... the RJC isn't going to allow you to cut the boost down any lower.

From reading the thread.... I'm wondering if a 85 Precision housing is in order..... and possibly have to go to an external wastegate.

I am new to this stuff so...

First, do not use the factory wastegate solenoid.

Run the hose from the compressor to the actuator and see where it is?

I ran a the hose from the compressor to the manual boost controller to the HD actuator. Boost stays at 18psi till I let off. But that was only up too 85 mph so... I tried to switch the HD actuator with the stock style before testing because I heard of the issues w/HD actuator. Precision or Jack welded the actuator to a bracket that bolts onto the turbo. Perfect weld job:D and lines up perfect with the swing valve. But I could not use the stock style actuator.

Lucky I tried it just the way Jack had it set up. Because it's works exceptional so far and far exceeded my expectations.

I am new to this stuff so...

First, do not use the factory wastegate solenoid.

Run the hose from the compressor to the actuator and see where it is?

I ran a the hose from the compressor to the manual boost controller to the HD actuator. Boost stays at 18psi till I let off. But that was only up too 85 mph so... I tried to switch the HD actuator with the stock style before testing because I heard of the issues w/HD actuator. Precision or Jack welded the actuator to a bracket that bolts onto the turbo. Perfect weld job:D and lines up perfect with the swing valve. But I could not use the stock style actuator.

Lucky I tried it just the way Jack had it set up. Because it's works exceptional so far and far exceeded my expectations.

So did you port the wastegate hole at all...

I'm still not having much luck with mine, I've got a hose ran from waste gate to turbo, no RJC valve. When I mash the pedal all the way down boost starts out at 17 and creeps up the whole time my foot is in it. I also noticed that boost is kind of slow to come up when I first mash it. I really don't know what else to do at this point except an external waste gate. I don't think we should be having all this trouble with boost control. Maybe this just an issue with the 6262?

I'm still not having much luck with mine, I've got a hose ran from waste gate to turbo, no RJC valve. When I mash the pedal all the way down boost starts out at 17 and creeps up the whole time my foot is in it. I also noticed that boost is kind of slow to come up when I first mash it. I really don't know what else to do at this point except an external waste gate. I don't think we should be having all this trouble with boost control. Maybe this just an issue with the 6262?

You tried unhooking the puck from the actuator all together.....and see what the boost would go to?

If the puck is free to move... and not sticking.... and the hole is ported out to just under the puck diameter....then yes... you shouldn't have IMHO... a boost control issue.

A malfunctioning wastegate actuator might cause boost creep as well.... that is why I asked if you tried it with puck arm unhooked.

I had a heavy duty actuator first and couldn't go more than 3/4 throttle, having 25 lbs of boost and climbing with more throttle given. I did pull the actuator arm off the puck and got no boost. So I did get a new standard duty actuator, put it on, ran hose from turbo to actuator adjusted rod to half turn in, from just slipping on puck arm. Now my turbo isn't spooling up fast and once it does get spooled up, it kind of sets in at 17/18 lbs and slowly climbs from there. Before I ever mounted new turbo, I ported hole to where it had 1/8th inch all the way around for puck to seat on. I've tried everything that I know to do, still with no luck.