You can type here any text you want

70mm tb

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
power level

If you know Red Armstrong (who dont) he is running in the nines and he still uses the stock tb ( at least what he claims).

Red Armstrong is running in the nines and he still uses the stock tb
that is like saying TSM is a stock block class. ;) it is a production piece, but...

there are many variables, I went to one when I started running 10.50 range. was it needed then? probably not but it was that much easier to do.

Is that to say that a low 11 second car shifting at 6500 RPMs will not see even a small gain?

EDIT>>> where a "small gain" = about one tenth...

Is that to say that a low 11 second car shifting at 6500 RPMs will not see even a small gain?

EDIT>>> where a "small gain" = about one tenth...

Maybe a small gain but if you have enough engine to rev to 6500 you are going much faster than 11's. More like 9.50's. A 62mm will work into the 9's with no losss of et in most instances

I just went to a 70mm TB, mainly for the "cool factor." Based on the same set up I did not notice any gain when I ran last week. Three 7.09's and a 7.10 with worn out MT DR's. We run 1/8th mile because the 1/4 mile tracks around here were all built so long ago and the cars got too fast. I expect to run 6.70's once I get my tune right, using 26x10x15 MT ET drags. I don't think any gain will be attributed to the 70mm TB but it does look nice and shiny! FWIW - 28x10's ET slicks slowed the car down over a 10th. My car likes 26" tall tires.

I have a 65mm tb i was going to change it but what a waste of money it would be 200 plus for nothing i passed on the whole idea no need.

Cramer says no gain till 10.00 or below. If Bison says its not needed then it probably isn't. Does look kool tho:cool:. Probably get one soon just to look pretty:tongue:

Does look kool tho.

This is wye i had ended up buying one.As far as noticing any gain,i have yet to get my car back together,so no result yet,im still trying to finish my cam kit install

Im trying to make sense out of all this. I understand that sometimes "Bigger" isnt always better, and doesnt always make you faster. But, we get bigger turbos, and port and polish are heads, port and polish are intake manifolds, and get big 3inch to 4inch Cold air intakes, to better the air flow.. I always understood that more air equals more power. ie, the more air you can move into the combustion chamber the more power you will make. Provided you have the adequete fuel and spark to mix with the extra air. Now, i would think, that you would need, or it would be best to have a bigger Throttle-Body (TB) when trying to free up some air flow, when running higher boost levels, and when running a big turbo, i would think you wouldnt want anything restricting the Extra air flow coming in. I understand velocity, and understand a bigger TB wouldnt provide the same velocity as a smaller TB. But wouldnt a bigger TB help into moving all that extra boost (air) and would be less restricted than a smaller TB? If not, then why do we funn bigger CAI?? Im not questioning anyone on here, just trying to better understand all this.. can someone just make me understand...lol...:biggrin:

Im trying to make sense out of all this. I understand that sometimes "Bigger" isnt always better, and doesnt always make you faster. But, we get bigger turbos, and port and polish are heads, port and polish are intake manifolds, and get big 3inch to 4inch Cold air intakes, to better the air flow.. I always understood that more air equals more power. ie, the more air you can move into the combustion chamber the more power you will make. Provided you have the adequete fuel and spark to mix with the extra air. Now, i would think, that you would need, or it would be best to have a bigger Throttle-Body (TB) when trying to free up some air flow, when running higher boost levels, and when running a big turbo, i would think you wouldnt want anything restricting the Extra air flow coming in. I understand velocity, and understand a bigger TB wouldnt provide the same velocity as a smaller TB. But wouldnt a bigger TB help into moving all that extra boost (air) and would be less restricted than a smaller TB? If not, then why do we funn bigger CAI?? Im not questioning anyone on here, just trying to better understand all this.. can someone just make me understand...lol...:biggrin:

The turbo being used, the boost pressure, and heads have nothing to do with TB needs unless it increases the engines operating rpm. Air flow through an engine is based on the cubic inch and the speed and really nothing else. Valve opening and closing time plays a small role. Nothing to do with the pressure in the intake tract. It just so happens that the stock TB flows enough air to support 130mph quarter passes in most full weight TR's. You can add a "BIGGER" one but it wont make more power unless the one it replaced was actually a restriction. Our engines probably use under 400 cfm at 6000 rpm. Someone else can check that if they want. Id bet the stock TB flows at least 350cfm. You can run 9's in a full weight car without revving over 5800 rpm. Therefore you dont need a "BIGGER" one unless you plan on running your engine speed more than i mentioned. 350 cfm at atmospheric is the same as 350 cfm at 25 psig. Both are still 350cfm:biggrin:

Once again,the only reason i had purchase the 70mm tb was only for looks,my combo that i have,wont really make much in performance with the new intercooler,cam and tb.To little of a turbo,heads ect:

throttlebody

i have been kicking around the idea of going to a 70mm throttlebody but i have been over 130 mph on the stock one. i might buy one to take to the track and swap them out one night. it would be interesting to see if the car would pick up on the big end...........Bob

I've got a used Accufab for sale for $125 plus shipping if anyone wants it.

scott wile

Attachments

• DSCN0336.jpg
    DSCN0336.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 608
I bought my polished 70mm tb/plenum in 1998 and have been running it ever since,i only drive the car on the street but have never noticed it being a problem getting my car up to speed and beyond from idle at a traffic light even with a new vett (2007) trying to keep up. ;)

The main reason i bought it was to keep from having to send my stock tb out to have the bushings replaced at that time and i also liked the look of the larger size and polished finish. :D I don't ever regret buying it.

I never got on the internet much back then to ask questions about products i was thinking of buying, just looked in magazines and vendor catalogs like Kenne-Bell, ATR, Bowling Green Customs, Modern Musclecar, etc.

John :smile:

Just wondering about spool up time??? If there is no power gains to going bigger ok, but many claim to have a quicker spool up with a bigger t/b even just going to a 62mm.... So, if this is true there could be more to gain than just looks here.

im thinking with his set-up, he may experience some turbo lag and hurt spool-up on the street. im happy with my 62mm and its polished so it looks great. (w a TE60 turbo) i think there is more evidence out there to support no real gains than decline in performance.

Back