81 Regal build-Turbo 5.3/4l80e **9.94@138.5mph

Nice!!!!! How's the spool up with the 4l80e and stock converter??? Any lag

Thanks! The stock converter with the tall 4l80e first gear definitely leaves something to be desired as far as spool goes. What I love about the stock converter though is between it and the pypes exhaust, it is as quiet and drives like grandma's buick. My best 60 ft time so far is 2.0! With a converter, low tens will be easy. If only a decent multi-disc 4l80e converter wasn't $1200...

Did you change the pistons?
How much do you think you have in it cost wise so far?

I like this. My car is in the fab shop getting the same setup like the stock look but with 5.3 aluminum block and 4L80E. 72 BB turbo

Good point. Ive been pondering about going the single disc route or even a non-lockup ptc 9.5 but not too sure about losing lockup. This car drives so nice at 80 with lockup.

I've got one of Dusty's units in my car. Single disc. He said it would be GTG, just don't lock it at hi boost.
That's not an issue, as I have control over it w/ the Holley system.
The same feature would be available w/ an oem pcm.

I've got one of Dusty's units in my car. Single disc. He said it would be GTG, just don't lock it at hi boost.
That's not an issue, as I have control over it w/ the Holley system.
The same feature would be available w/ an oem pcm.
That's good to know that the single disc is sufficient if not locked up under wot.

Did you change the pistons?
How much do you think you have in it cost wise so far?
The long block is a completely stock gen III 5.3. Not positive on the year but it has the weaker gen III rods.

I haven't added up the cost of the build and I'm afraid to add up everything but here's a few prices..

Engine $500
Trans $800
Harness $500
Injectors $700
Turbo $1500
Wastegate and bov $600
Turbo piping and fab $2500
Probably $5000 in the diff, drivetrain and suspension.
Tons of fittings, tubing, small stuff that's probably a couple grand.

Last edited:
For a winter upgrade, decided to do dual walbro 450 pumps. I was initially going to use dual 340 pumps but wanted to use e85 rated pumps and I have had great luck with the walbro 450. First off, there is no way two of these will fit through the stock opening in the tank so I am going to modify an n/a tank I have laying around. For the sender, I bought a dynamic fuel pump module from ricks restomod tanks with an integrated fuel bucket, so there's no need for in-tank baffling.

More updates coming. I need to weld a late model GM fuel pump flange on to the n/a tank yet.

The KB kit uses the stock truck driver's side manifold right? Also any idea how big the crossover and primaries are on the KB log? So far this appears to be the easiest way for me to go...

Every damn time I look at my car I find another part I "need" to spend $500 on, and I'm just not willing to spend any more money on the stock 3.8 that might survive up to 500hp and cost me $5K if I blow it up... Right now I'm looking at new TA headers $750, 80lb injectors $400, new I/C $5-1000, and get my heads worked on $500-1000 and all that MIGHT get me 450rwhp on E85 and I'd always be worried about it. Hell even if I threw an N/A 5.3 with heads and cam I'd be making close to the same power and I'd probably get close to breaking even. At this point cost wise, the 3.8 just isn't worth upgrading any more and I'm tired of worrying about nuking an engine that would cost me 50% of what the car is worth just to rebuild it.

The KB kit uses the stock truck driver's side manifold right? Also any idea how big the crossover and primaries are on the KB log? So far this appears to be the easiest way for me to go...

Every damn time I look at my car I find another part I "need" to spend $500 on, and I'm just not willing to spend any more money on the stock 3.8 that might survive up to 500hp and cost me $5K if I blow it up... Right now I'm looking at new TA headers $750, 80lb injectors $400, new I/C $5-1000, and get my heads worked on $500-1000 and all that MIGHT get me 450rwhp on E85 and I'd always be worried about it. Hell even if I threw an N/A 5.3 with heads and cam I'd be making close to the same power and I'd probably get close to breaking even. At this point cost wise, the 3.8 just isn't worth upgrading any more and I'm tired of worrying about nuking an engine that would cost me 50% of what the car is worth just to rebuild it.

Kbracing's truck turbo kit does use the stock truck drivers side manifold. However, the log manifold Kb built for my build was not his production truck log. The turbo flange was moved lower and forward and I only had him build the log and had One Guys Garage build the crossover and downpipe. On the driver's side a truck manifold wouldnt fit so we used an f-body manifold instead.

I hear ya. The LS stuff is comparatively cheap but in no way is the swap cheap. With that said, I still don't regret the swap.

Good point. Ive been pondering about going the single disc route or even a non-lockup ptc 9.5 but not too sure about losing lockup. This car drives so nice at 80 with lockup.
I have the PTC lockup unit, and control it w/ Holley Dom. I have the ability to set l/u where I want it..You can do the same w/ the oem ecm..
No need to do away w/ the feature. Just lock it when it's safe to do so....

How's the dual 450 coming along??
It's coming slowly. Just received the rest of the parts. The Ricks Tanks stamped flange plate and Spectra GM307A fuel tank showed up. The tank needs to have a good size hole chopped in it to fit the new sender plate. I'll be doing the cutting, fitting and mocking up but I still need to find someone to tig weld it all up.

Fuel pump flange plate (Ricks Tanks P/N 27003)

New fuel tank (Spectra GM307A)