88 CRX project

Mystery_man

So I got this car as a DD and plan on dding it till I get everything ready. This is just an ideas now, but have always wanted a rear wheel drive CRX. A v6 would fit, but will need a bit of cutting. I know I will have to do a lot of reenforcement of the sub frame. A Honda engine was never known for tq.

I would love some help from this board. I am not familiar with the muscle world at all. I have never built a rear wheel drive car.

You will be better off building it as a full tube frame car because you will need to cut the floor up just to fit a transmission in it. There is a Geo Metro hybred that's on youtube if you want to look for it. I believe it's called GN motor in a metro if you want to look.

I would help you, but your not going to like anything I tell you since Im playing with a rex myself.

Give up on rwd and stay fwd. I have done the honda v6 swap 34 times now and it is easy as hell to make power with them cars. I dont know where you get at saying hondas dont make tq cause that is about all they make....

Now for the fun swap in the gtp motor throw a little nitrous on it tune it change a pulley or two do some exhaust work and rub one out.

there you go now go have fun...

I would help you, but your not going to like anything I tell you since Im playing with a rex myself.

Give up on rwd and stay fwd. I have done the honda v6 swap 34 times now and it is easy as hell to make power with them cars. I dont know where you get at saying hondas dont make tq cause that is about all they make....

Now for the fun swap in the gtp motor throw a little nitrous on it tune it change a pulley or two do some exhaust work and rub one out.

there you go now go have fun...

How would I go about making it fwd with the Buick motor? I am not set on this yet. I am still in the planning stage.

1995 Buick Riviera...Loaded! Only $1950!

Found a donor car. Now this does look like it will be a lot easier to do than doing a RWD set up for sure. I don't know for sure if the engine bay is large enough.

Goat have you only done Honda v6 swaps in the rex? Or have you done one of these S/C 3800 v6 motors before?

1995 Buick Riviera...Loaded! Only $1950!

Found a donor car. Now this does look like it will be a lot easier to do than doing a RWD set up for sure. I don't know for sure if the engine bay is large enough.

Goat have you only done Honda v6 swaps in the rex? Or have you done one of these S/C 3800 v6 motors before?

I am also thinking about just not doing the swap and just go a different route. Use the CRX as a DD and take a S/C car and go with that.

my advise = dont go with the 95 riv for a donor car its series 1 and has almost no aftermarket support , you want series 2 which started showing up in 96 in rivs ,bonnies ,park aves etc... but had a 4t60 trans and a pcm that doesnt have a lot of tuning support.
starting in 97 all that changed and the sc cars all had 4t65e-hd trannys and pcm's that are fairly well supported. you can find these drivetrains in pontiac gtp&ssei , buick regal gs & park ave ultra , olds LSS , as well as in some impalas & monte carlos , hopefully I didnt miss any.

why you would want to go with this if you choose the FWD path is because the series 2 shortblock has withstood 8.6 @159 on stock factory assembled block/rotating assembly (zzp fwd grand prix) - its pretty stout.

the same series 2 3800 has also been 8.9 @15x in rwd configuration in a firebird (intense racing)

also the fast honda drag guys you will see swap trannys to the 4t65e- hd becuase parts are available to tolerate up to around 1,000 hp - but they arent cheap at that power level , 500-600hp is more often seen in series2 3800 race cars and 3-4 grand can build one to tolerate that power level , stock trans are marginal in a 12 sec full weight car or 11 sec in a lighter chassis like the ones you see in fieros - hook hard and you will be looking at a drive chain and input shaft upgrade in your near future

Ok well that changes things a little bit. Thanks for the help. I found a 94 civic hatch for 300. Cheaper than what people want for these Crx shells.

You will be better off building it as a full tube frame car because you will need to cut the floor up just to fit a transmission in it. There is a Geo Metro hybred that's on youtube if you want to look for it. I believe it's called GN motor in a metro if you want to look.

+1

I totally agree with that after I saw the Geo. I am liking the idea of the 3800 S/C FWD motor in ether a CRX or EG hatch. The EG has more room than a CRX and I like the styling better on the EG Hatch compared to the CRX.

I am still hunting for a donor car.

I saw a CRX years back that had the Dodge 2.2 turbo drivetrain in the rear...