You can type here any text you want

91 octane 93 chip?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

INEEDAGN

Seen Your Member
The 87 GN I just bought has two chips for it. A Red Armstrong 93 street chip (no idea what timing), and a Lubrant chip 93 street 20 degrees timing. Both are supposedly for the combo the car has and they both say 42# for my 009's. The thing that sucks, is that around here 91 octane is all I can easily find at the pump. I may try to do some mixing, octane booster stuff later but right now I want to make sure it will run on 91. So can I keep the 93 chip(s) and just turn down the boost to a safe level or would I benefit from a chip for 91 octane crap gas? Any ideas as to what Red Armstrong's 93 street chips usually have for timing? Turbolink is on the way (I think, never got an e-mail confirmation) so I can make sure it's not knocking. Without higher octane or alcohol injection, what should I do? Thanks in advance.

bob

I asked Joe Lubrant a similar question about the 93 octane chip I bought used a while back. His reply is below. It's a chip for 30# injectors, but I think his advice will apply to you as well. HTH:

------------------------
Matt,

All 93 chips that I make have 20 deg. max wide open throttle
timing.
20 deg. at 17psi is a litlle to much with 91 and way to much
for 89 etc.
(Knock City).

I will think that 18 deg. would be much safer for 91 & 92, and
my personal
opinion is 89 is out of the question at the 16-17psi range. 91
maybe 15psi?
89, I wouldn't even try it.

If you run the 20 deg chip the boost must be dropped to some
safe level...and
every car is different.

Joe
-----------------

Thank you for the info. It's kind of what I expected to hear, but I'm still learning on these things so I figured I'd see what others thought. I guess I'll hunt for the RA timing numbers and if it's lower, I'll use it.

bob

If you do not have a knock meter, get one. That is the only way that you will be able to tell if you are boosting too much.

I have a ay Carter chip with 19-20 (not sure) degrees timing. With the 91 here in Ca, I was able to run 14-15 psig boost. After I got the Power Plate, I was able to run up to 18 psig boost with no knock. It even got rid of the part throttle knock.

Check out a Power Plate if you can not get good gas.:)

I have a 93 octane Ramcharger's chip that I can run about 17 psi on with a powerplate. We only get 91 octane here as well. My extender chip is burned for 92 octane and at night I can run nearly 20 psi on 91 octane with NO knock. This is with a TE-44 and 009's. I must say I'm a fan of the extender setup.

Peter

Thx for the extra info. This past weekend I finally installed that JL chip and my AFPR, and WOW, what a difference. I didn't mess with boost, just fuel pressure. I have boost set at about 14 psi and I dialed fuel pressure back to about 38 psi. Anyway, I'm getting no knock and my Scanmaster shows she's running pig-rich with readings of 820+ (and it smells like that, too). So I guess I need to turn the boost up! :D OK, I do get some knock on the shift, but everybody says that's normal. The chip also makes the car run much smoother, especially on cold startup, and I get earlier fan turn-on which is great with these summer temps that won't go away. :eek:

Oh, I do have a Power Plate, and it really does seem to make a difference.

My question for my fellow 91-octane sufferers is -- what fuel pressures are you guys running at your boost level?

Back