94 Z-71 Does not want to come out of 4 wheel drive

georgewe4

In the past I have always recieved great advice form the folks here. So...here goes.
I have a 94 Z-71 pickup. I am getting ready to install a new transmission tomorrow if all goes well. While I was driving the truck tonigh it started raining. I thought it would be a good time to put it into 4 wheel drive just to make sure everything was working alright. It did just fine with no troubles, except when I took it out of 4 wheel drive. It stayed in 4 wheel for 3 or 4 miles, even if I stopped. The only way I am able to get it out of 4 wheel is to slow almost completely down and cut the wheel sharp right and left a couple of times. Does this make sense?????? Any ideas??
Thanks in advance....
George

Agreed, switch or vaccum leak... At least hope that's what it is:eek:

When I had my Blazer I had it do the same thing, The mechanic at the Chevy dealer said that even on wet roads the frnt wheels do not slip enuff and it causes more or less a bind on it. he said that when it does it to back up some and it usally will come out. You might want to try the 4 wheel drive on the dirt and see if it still does it, if it does, sounds like what everyone else said.

I will try and check out these things. I hate trying to find a vacuum leak.:mad:
Thanks for the imput.
No extra parts/goodies needed at this time.
George

they make a new design front axle actuator that is not gas charged like the original.You do have to do a wire splice at the transfer case..brn wire at the switch.You do not have to drive in reverse with no locking hubs.

Gas charged actuator? The truck does have a lot of miles over 200,000.
How hard is that front actuator to change?
Thanks..
George

Its not hard at all.It just unscrews from the axle housing.Need a good size wrench though.Then just hook up electrical connections.