You can type here any text you want

A/C Troubleshooting

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CzyKats44

This is the way.
I've read through alot of information I found in the searches for diagnosing A/C issues after reseal/component changes. Lots of good info ... when I get to that point.

Does anyone have any tricks to diagnose component failures from a system long since depleted (estimated 10yrs)?

I plan on redoing all the seals and would like to keep cost minimal (maintain what is working) without replacing the whole system, only the leaky/broken/worn components.

I'd prefer not to throw a bunch of refrigerant in just for troubleshooting purposes, but I may not have a choice.

It is still the original R-12 config untouched and there are no blatant smoking guns (cracks/wear marks/ect.), other than it turning 30 years old this past Oct on the cowl tag. :dead:

Thanks!

On any AC system that is empty, the simple and easy method when checking for any leak is to pump it down and see if it will hold a vacuum at least for an hour without any change in the reading which should be ~29".

If it holds (which I doubt at this point) is that enough to effectively pull the moisture out too?

You can also build an adaptor to pressurize the system and in a quiet environment you may can hear leak if it is fast, if not, soapy water

Back