AC line leak

BOP4ever

The other day I was trying to see where to hook up the engine torque strap and I had my hand on the hoses where the go across the radiator and join the metal lines I heard something hissing as I leaned over into the engine compartment . I raised up and the hissing stopped ... Figured it had to be the AC so I got down close and sure enough if I press on the hoses they leak where the hose is crimped to the metal lines.
Thing is they appear to be a loose fit not a true crimped end.
Is this normal ? At least I know why I had to recharge the AC after rolling the compressor out of the way when I pulled the engine and could never find a leak afterward! AC has not been leakIng in normal use fwiw.

I have the same problem. I don't know if it's normal or not but I take great care not to lean on the a/c refrigerant lines and watch where I lean on while inside the engine compartment.

AFAIK I haven't lost anymore refrigerant since.

I had my lines redone by a local radiator shop, if you heard them leaking, it won't be long. They use the metal ends and replace the rubber hose.

Chuck

one thing i have noticed with alot of shops is that there not crimping the fitting correctly.

there are 2 types of fittings, barbed and square. if you crimp the barbed with a square crimper it wont hold and will leak as you describe. And vice versa. double check to make sure your shop is using the correct fittings. particularly if you have changed from R12-R134a

i have 2 used sets here guys if you need a set. 1 set just came off the 86 gn i parted out last week

It's normal for me every single turbo car i have owned i noticed if you lean on the ac line near driver side / maf it will hiss.. Like clockwork.. We even make a "lame" joke about it with my cousin and friends that have them locally..It's lame joke so i wont say it.. It's only funny when your drunk and talking about who's car is slower.. :confused: