You can type here any text you want

advantages of XFI over Accel Gen 7?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RED LS1

I have the opportunity to run an accel Gen 7 for a very reasonable price. On our other car my brother run a Fast XFI and has great success with it. He is worried that the Gen 7 does not have the features XFI does. From what I have read up on it has just about all the same stuff including Wideband 02 which he is most concerned about. What do you guys think the Gen 7 lacks compared to XFI?

On the 7 I have on the HEMI car, the w/b is operated w/ a seperate box..A PITA.
Earlier w/b boxes had problems.. Mine STB the first time I powered it up..
Unless there has been significant improvements, I'd not buy 1 again. The XFI is much more popular, IMO. I even liked the old FELPRO I had yrs ago, compared to the 7...

I have the opportunity to run an accel Gen 7 for a very reasonable price. On our other car my brother run a Fast XFI and has great success with it. He is worried that the Gen 7 does not have the features XFI does. From what I have read up on it has just about all the same stuff including Wideband 02 which he is most concerned about. What do you guys think the Gen 7 lacks compared to XFI?

I run the dfi and have experience with xfi's. The xfi offers a lot more when it comes to data logging such as being able to log fuel, oil etc.. Both do a great job other than that. The xfi seems like it gets updates still where as the dfi no longer gets any support from accel.

I can buy it for around $800. I have a feeling I will need to buy the Calmap software which Summit has for over $200. Then, as your stating It will need a seperate wideband which will be another $200 i'm sure. so $1200 invested. How much is an XFI?

XFI is still actively supported. Gen 7 is/was a great system but you will not be able to get any support for it. The software should be a free download. There's an external key you need in order for the software to do much at all, make sure you would get that. You would also require an external wideband which will run you another 500 or so dollars. You would be investing a significant percentage of the cost of a brand-new, all-inclusive XFI system into this Gen 7 system you are considering, and if you went down that road it is unlikely that you would ever receive any service or support from Accel DFI if you needed it.

I am a Gen7 Fan. I like it much better than the XFI. If nothing other than the software alone. I have to agree with the other guys. For a newbie there is no support for the Gen7.

hey guys got a question,,, if you drive a car alot will the xfi hold up to driving one ever day..... does it get hot? any down sides to that?

The datalogging on the Gen 7 is dated and the new datalogger/WBO2 controller has issues mostly software and communication problems. Accel support is non-existent and the support you do get is a joke. All of the original people involved with the system are pretty much gone.

Outside of datalogging the XFI doesn't offer anything additional over the Gen 7. I've run both and personally like the Gen 7 over the XFI, it actually has some small features the XFI doesn't. I believe it is also much more stable system and less prone to noise interference and wiring issues.

If you can get the Gen 7 cheap enough I would run it. I would make sure you are getting a V4.0 or newer ECM and that it comes with a prokey and the Calmap cable. Stay away from anything they offer USB and stay on WIndows XP with a serial port for a laptop. You have several options for WBO2 either the Accel "brick" the new Accel Datalogger or you can use a LM1 LC1 or any generic WBO2 controller. The accel controllers are plug and play with NTK sensors the datalogger can run either sensors. Feel free to PM me with any questions I will do my best to answer them.

If you go XFI there are plenty of well qualified vendors on this board that can give excellent support which is definitely a bonus.

If you want state of the art I think the new Holley Dominator system deserves a good look at and offers Motec capabilities at a XFI price!

The datalogging on the Gen 7 is dated and the new datalogger/WBO2 controller has issues mostly software and communication problems. Accel support is non-existent and the support you do get is a joke. All of the original people involved with the system are pretty much gone.

Outside of datalogging the XFI doesn't offer anything additional over the Gen 7. I've run both and personally like the Gen 7 over the XFI, it actually has some small features the XFI doesn't. I believe it is also much more stable system and less prone to noise interference and wiring issues.

If you can get the Gen 7 cheap enough I would run it. I would make sure you are getting a V4.0 or newer ECM and that it comes with a prokey and the Calmap cable. Stay away from anything they offer USB and stay on WIndows XP with a serial port for a laptop. You have several options for WBO2 either the Accel "brick" the new Accel Datalogger or you can use a LM1 LC1 or any generic WBO2 controller. The accel controllers are plug and play with NTK sensors the datalogger can run either sensors. Feel free to PM me with any questions I will do my best to answer them.

If you go XFI there are plenty of well qualified vendors on this board that can give excellent support which is definitely a bonus.

If you want state of the art I think the new Holley Dominator system deserves a good look at and offers Motec capabilities at a XFI price!

Thanks everyone. I am going to look at it in person and see what is included. I'm just worried because I am a newb on these. My brother uses and is pretty familiar with his XFI and said he isn't affraid of the gen 7. However, if there is something extra complicated, it sounds like there is to professional answer.

What engine are you intending to run with this system? I'm not sure I saw that. If it is an LS1 I would strongly advise you NOT to get the Gen 7 system for multiple reasons. PM me for more info. If you are near Michigan I may be able to help you with some things as well.

No Ls1. It is going to be a stock bottom end 3.8. Not completely sure of the combo yet. I have two to choose.

76lbs injectors, T-70 and 24 row Mease SLIC with 3200 stall.
Or
42.5 lbs injectors, Te-44 and same intercooler with same converter.
Probably gonna lightly port the heads and add a 210/210 cam.

Right now I am redoing the 9 inch rear with 3.50 gears and redoing the suspension to accept the 200-R. I am also in the middle of the 200R rebuild so havn't touched the motor. Probably a November/December project.

If you can get the Gen 7 cheap enough I would run it. I would make sure you are getting a V4.0 or newer ECM and that it comes with a prokey and the Calmap cable. Stay away from anything they offer USB and stay on WIndows XP with a serial port for a laptop.

It turns out is a version 3.2. It was built 12/03 I think. I do not believe that it has a prokey and calmap cable. That stuff may be available from jegs? I'm gonna check to see if it uses USB. Whats wrong with USB?

Email Harry Anderson At gen7dfi@yahoo.com I just sold him a bunch of DFI cables and stuff. USB interface not as noise resistance than the serial port.

THanks, I know Harry well as he is the one who use to tune this DFI before I got it and he owned the car that it came from.

Having used their 1st version of DFI and the 7 and the XFI on street and race cars; I prefer the XFI. The negative comments about the DFI are similar to my experience. I also had a series of hardware failures with earlier DFI units; and, they were not real helpful or even cooperative. I had to fix some myself. FAST people are much more helpful, and they have set up their website to help the user solve problems.
I tell customers, do it right the first time.
I would use the XFI.
Just my opinion.

In reality with your present combo, the stock ecm setup properly will run just as hard when the proper chip and wide band setup is used it is hard to beat for the street.

I'm sure thats a true statement with the advancements in these cars. However, I have the Gen 7 sitting at my friends shop ready to go. Why not use it. Another fact is that this DFI was used for years without any issues. The car has ran 11.1 or something in a turbo IROC with a TTA motor.

I have a bad taste in my mouth about turbo buicks. I had several people close to me with these cars about 10 years ago and there cars were all built. (T-70's, 83lbs inj, Champion heads, 218 cams, transbrakes etc...) In my opinion there was always something wrong. Always a reason they were breaking up, blowing head gaskets or having issues.

My brothers car is similar set up now with a properly tuned xfi and we beat the snot out of the car. I have never heard it run anything but 100%. I attribute that to XFI.
If stock computer was the only option I wouldn't own a TB powered car. IT was the XFI and the healthy tune that brought me to build a LC2 motor. I just want to be sure that the GEN 7 will get me where I want to be.

Back