You can type here any text you want

Aftermarket heads for Australian Buick V6???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

neet_wagon

Hi Guys,

As the title suggests Im chasing down information regarding aftermarket heads for the Australian seriesI and II buick V6 engine (non-symetrical spark plug holes).

I have asked ZZP, but they do not have anything to do with the older design.

Does anyone else have any information regarding where I could go look, or ask about aftermarket alloy or even iron heads for this motor?

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hey Steve. If you find a set, you could get the aluminum stage one heads but they're kinda pricy to say the least, if you can find them. I saw a set at Rhere and Morrison back in the mid 80's. Bare they were around 3K each. I've never seen another set though.

i know neet wagon from our local forums i too was looking at alloy heads for the LN3/L27 will the champion heads fit them the water holes seem a lot different in the heads looks like they would physically bolt on with the inner exhaust port headbolt holes and the ones withen the tappet cover just pushrod spacings and water galleries would be the deciding factor and a new inlet manifold to suit.anyone got these and any measurements of these heads or want to measure them for us wouldnt want to get a set through customs to find they are pointless :eek:

I don't know about over the pond but I've looked at the water passages on the Series II head gasket and the stock RWD and can't see any difference between them. You should be able to bolt Champions on but I don't know about an intake that would be usable unless you made it from scratch.

The 3800 aussie engines are the same 3800 engines used in FWD applications here in the states. Plant 36 (The Buick Engine plant) built the parts and shipped them down under and they were assembled there.

The 3800 will not accept the RWD early heads. The 3800 has a symetrical port layout much like the Stage 2 heads. They are not bad heads and should respond well to port work. The Series II 3800's have larger intake valves than the 8445 stockers. I'm not aware of anybody offering aftermarket heads for any 3800.

Dave

The 3800 aussie engines are the same 3800 engines used in FWD applications here in the states. Plant 36 (The Buick Engine plant) built the parts and shipped them down under and they were assembled there.

The 3800 will not accept the RWD early heads. The 3800 has a symetrical port layout much like the Stage 2 heads. They are not bad heads and should respond well to port work. The Series II 3800's have larger intake valves than the 8445 stockers. I'm not aware of anybody offering aftermarket heads for any 3800.

Dave

Not gonna argue with you Dave, but I know of 1 guy running an Edlebrock intake on a FWD block. It has heads like the TTA. Don't know if that counts but it works pretty well.

Check with TA Performance, they do lots of work with Aussies on both aluminum V-6's and aluminum V-8's. :)

We may be able to help you out, I think dad may know someone that has heads for the 3800 series, saw them at PRI I just dont remember the company.

Not gonna argue with you Dave, but I know of 1 guy running an Edlebrock intake on a FWD block. It has heads like the TTA. Don't know if that counts but it works pretty well.

No Problem Charlie, You are right, but those are not 3800 heads. They are early 3.8 heads from a 86-88 Vin B or 3 engine. That is what the TTA used. They are narrower than the 8445 RWD heads and fit the 109 block perfectly. Even the intakes line up.

To the best of my knowledge, GM/Buick did not export the early versions of the 3.8 (prior to 3800 in 1988) down under.

I worked in Flint for Buick doing Service Information back in those days. I corresponded with my Holden counterparts and shared our engine information with them.

The 3800 doesn't share much in common with earlier 3.8 engines (except rod bearings).

If I were looking to pump up or boost a 3800, I look for a later set of Series II or Series III heads. The have a better, lighter 8mm valve stem and beehive valvesprings. They have much nicer design roller rocker and rocker stand much like the LS1 Gen II and Gen IV engines. The later casting are much better, less flash and nicer as cast port layout. Some flowbench work and mild porting should yield great results IMO.

Dave

No Problem Charlie, You are right, but those are not 3800 heads. They are early 3.8 heads from a 86-88 Vin B or 3 engine. That is what the TTA used. They are narrower than the 8445 RWD heads and fit the 109 block perfectly. Even the intakes line up.

To the best of my knowledge, GM/Buick did not export the early versions of the 3.8 (prior to 3800 in 1988) down under.

I worked in Flint for Buick doing Service Information back in those days. I corresponded with my Holden counterparts and shared our engine information with them.

The 3800 doesn't share much in common with earlier 3.8 engines (except rod bearings).

Dave

Well now I'm a little confused Dave. My 89 Olds with a 3800 has the same castings on it as the TTA. Am I missing something?:confused:

Charlie,

The 1989 TTA used the FWD heads that were common to the 1985-1988 3.0 VIN L and the 1986-1988 3.8 VIN 3 and B. Why did GM use these heads on the TTA? Because they fit the F-Body chassis better than 8445 RWD 3.8 heads. These earlier engines were not "3800" engines. The earlier 3.8 and 3.0 engines shared many components.

Compare the valve covers on a TTA head (or earlier VIN 3, B or L) to a 3800 valve cover. The TTA cover is held down by acorn nuts that run through the center of the cover. 3800 engines have valve covers with bolts around the perimeter. Another dead giveaway is that the intake ports in the 3800 heads are equally spaced. Earlier 3.8 FWD (TTA) heads and RWD heads have two intake ports that are right next to each other.

Check it out. I'm quite sure of my info.

Dave

Back